Augustine and Aquinas

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-12-2014, 01:47 PM
Augustine and Aquinas
My wife wants me to read Augustine and Aquinas. I have both in my library. Augustine is one volume and Aquinas is two. If these are not their complete works they must be close. Each volume is over an inch thick, thin paper, small print. Reading it all is simply too daunting. I've read ten chapters of Augustine and so far I neither agree nor disagree with him because he simply does not say anything.

There doesn't seem to be a Cliff Notes on either of these guys. Can someone recommend some book (or video or whatever) that would give some kind of overview of their work?

Sapere aude
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-12-2014, 01:48 PM
RE: Augustine and Aquinas
f stop,
May I ask why she wants you to read the books?
Doc
[+] 1 user Likes docskeptic's post
23-12-2014, 01:57 PM
(23-12-2014 01:47 PM)f stop Wrote:  My wife wants me to read Augustine and Aquinas. I have both in my library. Augustine is one volume and Aquinas is two. If these are not their complete works they must be close. Each volume is over an inch thick, thin paper, small print. Reading it all is simply too daunting. I've read ten chapters of Augustine and so far I neither agree nor disagree with him because he simply does not say anything.

There doesn't seem to be a Cliff Notes on either of these guys. Can someone recommend some book (or video or whatever) that would give some kind of overview of their work?

Herbert Mccabe On Aquinas, http://www.amazon.com/On-Aquinas-Forewor...860124614.

In fact any of the sermons, writings of Mccabe would provide a great deal of insight on Aquinas and his views, in accessible language that's both funny and insightful.
23-12-2014, 02:00 PM
Medieval nonsence.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 5 users Like The Germans are coming's post
23-12-2014, 02:03 PM (This post was last modified: 23-12-2014 02:26 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Aquinas was condemned and censured by the Archbishop of Paris. Ask her if she knows about that. Aquinas also said the reason the serpent went to Eve first, was because "the light of reason shone less brightly in her". (He was a misogynistic fool). Augustine was obsessed with sex. He led such an incredibly dissolute life he was utterly consumed by guilt and self-loathing. In order to try to explain that to himself, he was one of the champions and originators of "original sin".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
23-12-2014, 02:20 PM
You can throw away and disregard every bit of medieval "philosophy" that exists.

They serve no purpose other than being usefull for historic records.

Constantine banned Hellenic philosophy and as a result all that knowlege collected over 1000 years was thrown away.

It would have been lost if it werent for some scolars in Bagdad who saved manuscripts from the fire.

Really. Philosophy only really started to return to Europe during the renaissance with very slow beginnings.

And then started to reflurish brightly in 16th and 17th century Britain and the Netherlands.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 2 users Like The Germans are coming's post
23-12-2014, 02:25 PM
(23-12-2014 01:47 PM)f stop Wrote:  My wife wants me to read Augustine and Aquinas. I have both in my library. Augustine is one volume and Aquinas is two. If these are not their complete works they must be close. Each volume is over an inch thick, thin paper, small print. Reading it all is simply too daunting. I've read ten chapters of Augustine and so far I neither agree nor disagree with him because he simply does not say anything.

The Great Books of the Western World set has one volume of Augustine and two volumes of Aquinas. It sounds like that (or something similar to it) might be what you have. This is not even close to being the complete works of either of them, although it probably contains their most important works. They are both very important as Catholic theologians, and you can learn a lot about what Catholics believe, and why, by reading them. If you want to argue metaphysics with a Catholic, you would need to have some familiarity with these guys.

Other than that, though, there is only so much time in life for reading, and there are far better things to read than Augustine and Aquinas (unless they're "right" in the sense that Catholics think they are -- in which case you really really need to read them -- but I'm willing to take the chance that they are not "right" in that sense). I have the Great Books volumes plus some others, but I doubt that I will ever get around to reading them. There are just too many other things that I want/need to read.
23-12-2014, 03:35 PM
I'm not familiar with Augustine but Aquinas is drier than a popcorn fart. His misogyny is briefly entertaining if you get a kick out of watching hypocrites hitting the nail on the point.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
23-12-2014, 04:16 PM

I would counter and ask your wife to bring up specifics about their theology she wishes to discuss. Unless she’s read them cover to cover herself it seems to me very hypocritical to ask you to.

I assume she is a Roman Catholic? (There is a diffrence between Roman Catholicism and other Catholics in case you didn’t know).

If she is ask her to read the Dogmas of the Catholic Faith http://jloughnan.tripod.com/dogma.htm and then discuss if she accepts all of them becuase if she disagrees with just one then she is not considered an adherent by the Church and therefore Aquinas and Augustine matter not.

Have fun Thumbsup

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
23-12-2014, 08:02 PM
(23-12-2014 01:48 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  f stop,
May I ask why she wants you to read the books?
Doc
She thinks I should give them the same attention I've given to Hitchens, Dawkins, Harris, Dennett, Carrier, etc.

Sapere aude