Augustine and Aquinas

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-12-2014, 08:09 PM
RE: Augustine and Aquinas
(23-12-2014 08:02 PM)f stop Wrote:  
(23-12-2014 01:48 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  f stop,
May I ask why she wants you to read the books?
Doc
She thinks I should give them the same attention I've given to Hitchens, Dawkins, Harris, Dennett, Carrier, etc.

Why? Most pre-Enlightenment philosophy isn't worth the paper it's printed on.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Rik's post
23-12-2014, 08:16 PM
(23-12-2014 04:16 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I assume she is a Roman Catholic? (There is a diffrence between Roman Catholicism and other Catholics in case you didn’t know).
I know. I was raised Methodist. Every Sunday we recited "We believe in the catholic church ..." or something like that. In Sunday school they emphasized that that did not mean the Roman Catholic Church.

Sapere aude
24-12-2014, 02:52 AM
The majority of the Catholic churches teaching is Aquinas. Most of the modern popes were all Thomists. I personally hold many Thomist positions but as with most medieval philosophy, I find it quite dry and irritating to read. But I more or less agree with him on most points as I am a Catholic.

In terms of the amount of there work, I don't know about Augustine, but I have Aquinas' Summa Theologica, considered his semminal work, and it is in a five volume set with the books being about the same as the ones you described. Added to this is his summa contra gentiles as well as various other works. a complete works of Aquinas is most likely going to take up most of a shelf.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
24-12-2014, 03:15 AM
(24-12-2014 02:52 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  The majority of the Catholic churches teaching is Aquinas. Most of the modern popes were all Thomists. I personally hold many Thomist positions but as with most medieval philosophy, I find it quite dry and irritating to read. But I more or less agree with him on most points as I am a Catholic.

In terms of the amount of there work, I don't know about Augustine, but I have Aquinas' Summa Theologica, considered his semminal work, and it is in a five volume set with the books being about the same as the ones you described. Added to this is his summa contra gentiles as well as various other works. a complete works of Aquinas is most likely going to take up most of a shelf.

They don't teach spelling and grammar up there ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
24-12-2014, 08:49 AM
(23-12-2014 08:09 PM)Rik Wrote:  
(23-12-2014 08:02 PM)f stop Wrote:  She thinks I should give them the same attention I've given to Hitchens, Dawkins, Harris, Dennett, Carrier, etc.

Why? Most pre-Enlightenment philosophy isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

A snarky person could reply that Hitchens, Dawkins, et al are not philosophers, and therefore cannot be taken seriously in a philosophical discussion. Dennett actually is a philosopher, and maybe Harris, but not the others. They are writing popular books for general audiences, and don't go into the same depth as someone like Aquinas. To really counter his arguments, you would have to read some modern atheistic philosophers like Michael Martin, Kai Nielsen, etc. (this list would include Dennett).
24-12-2014, 09:44 AM
(23-12-2014 08:02 PM)f stop Wrote:  
(23-12-2014 01:48 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  f stop,
May I ask why she wants you to read the books?
Doc
She thinks I should give them the same attention I've given to Hitchens, Dawkins, Harris, Dennett, Carrier, etc.

In that case, agree on condition that she reads them first or at least with you.

Having said that, I still enjoyed (some of) Augustine's works. I have his entire works as part of the Church Fathers series. He was a brilliant man and his treatise on time in his Confessions is outstanding. He probably would have been a scientist if he lived in more enlightened times. His books are still worth reading and in parts can be quite entertaining (his autobiography in the Confessions is quite risqué)

As to a synopsis or précis of his works, I can't think of a book, but there are a host of websites that can summarize each of his works for you. Interestingly, there is a Cliff's Notes site on him. Here's the link, Augustine of Hippo. It's worth exploring.

Good luck!

Doc
[+] 1 user Likes docskeptic's post
25-12-2014, 01:38 AM
(24-12-2014 03:15 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(24-12-2014 02:52 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  The majority of the Catholic churches teaching is Aquinas. Most of the modern popes were all Thomists. I personally hold many Thomist positions but as with most medieval philosophy, I find it quite dry and irritating to read. But I more or less agree with him on most points as I am a Catholic.

They don't teach spelling and grammar up there ?

not in the public schools Smile, but give me a break, I wrote that at 3 am.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
[+] 1 user Likes TarzanSmith's post