Aung San Suu Kyi Claims Victory in Latest Election

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2012, 02:08 AM
Aung San Suu Kyi Claims Victory in Latest Election
Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17581054

I'll admit, it has been a while since I've paid attention to the events in Burma (aka Myanmar). According to this BBC Article, in the latest election, Aung San Suu Kyi of the National League for Democracy (NLD) party, the Nobel Peace Prize winner who was famously under house arrest for 16 of the past 22 years, is claiming victory to a seat in the newly formed parliament.

The last I heard, I could have sworn that under the terms of her release from house arrest, she was not allowed to participate in any elections, nor was the NLD party officially recognized by the government.

Obviously, either I heard wrong, or things in the country have changed since I last paid attention. Could anyone with more information please fill me in on how she and the NLD are allowed to participate in the government? Was what I heard correct but changed, or am I recalling it all wrong? Also a link or two to a blog or other news source would be great to get me up to speed again.

Lastly, what are your thoughts on Burma's move to democracy? Is it a sham for the military to still hold power while giving the masses hope? Will current events eventually lead to a more free democracy or will it fall back into a dictatorship?

"The most valuable possession you can own is an open heart. The most powerful weapon you can be is an instrument of peace." -- Carlos Santana
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2012, 06:00 AM
RE: Aung San Suu Kyi Claims Victory in Latest Election
They were forced to change the terms of her release in order to ease economic sanctions and be eligible for foreign aid and investment. Its a definite step in the right direction, but as the article says only 44 seats were contested and the junta still has 80% of the government

The secret to a happy life is lowering your expectations to the point where they are already met
05-04-2012, 09:46 AM
RE: Aung San Suu Kyi Claims Victory in Latest Election
Freedom isn't easy. It will take generations of people to mold a new government. Def a fight worth fighting though.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain