Aussie Anti Theist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2014, 06:38 AM
Aussie Anti Theist
Hi all Smile
Married mum of two 29 years old from Vic. Australia. My journey away from faith started as a kid who just couldn't be bothered with the theistic notions, so I was loosely Christian (CoE) but never practicing and probably more deistic than anything. I married a strong believer from the United Church and though I still had vague beliefs in the Christian god I was always challenging my husband on the theism in his religion. Long story short he committed suicide and I plunged briefly into United Church faith and then sharply out when church fellows told me that my husband would never be in heaven. I won't go into the mental process but I'm now a confirmed atheist (married again to a "couldn't give a shit" style atheist, that's common here) who is firmly Anti Theist Smile hope to chat to some of you soon.
Cheers guys, Crystal
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Crystal's post
30-01-2014, 08:14 AM
RE: Aussie Anti Theist
(30-01-2014 06:38 AM)Crystal Wrote:  Hi all Smile
Married mum of two 29 years old from Vic. Australia. My journey away from faith started as a kid who just couldn't be bothered with the theistic notions, so I was loosely Christian (CoE) but never practicing and probably more deistic than anything. I married a strong believer from the United Church and though I still had vague beliefs in the Christian god I was always challenging my husband on the theism in his religion. Long story short he committed suicide and I plunged briefly into United Church faith and then sharply out when church fellows told me that my husband would never be in heaven. I won't go into the mental process but I'm now a confirmed atheist (married again to a "couldn't give a shit" style atheist, that's common here) who is firmly Anti Theist Smile hope to chat to some of you soon.
Cheers guys, Crystal

Welcome to the forum.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
30-01-2014, 08:37 AM
Welcome from Brisbane.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
30-01-2014, 08:44 AM
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you've been through a lot of struggles, but once you've hit rock bottom there's nowhere to go but UP! Nice to meet you!

~Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.~
[+] 1 user Likes kellyrm's post
30-01-2014, 11:18 AM
Welcome, sorry for your loss, plenty of Aussies here east to west, I used to pretend to be agnostic when I was an atheist, now I pretend to be Atheist when I'm really anti-theist Tongue
pretty sure there are many like that, too polite to hitchslap. Well not "chippy" and "taq", no brain to mouth filter for those guys as you will see . Smile

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 2 users Like sporehux's post
30-01-2014, 10:00 PM
Welcome aboard. Smile

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
30-01-2014, 10:03 PM
Welcome!

Onward, my faithful steed!
[Image: ezgif-save_zps4d93a674.gif?t=1395781443]
[+] 1 user Likes Crulax's post
30-01-2014, 10:30 PM
Welcome to the Snake Pit! I've been homeyluvafriends with a dyed-in-the-wool, never-set-foot-in-a-church atheist for, hell, better than a decade anyway.

The thought of someone I care deeply for committing suicide just horrifies me. My nephew attempted it (unsuccessfully) fairly recently, and I have great difficulty even thinking about it or discussing it. Your description of that church's claim about your husband just horrifies me. How could they be so cruel, ignorant, insensitive, and unthinking. Fuck.

Hope you like it here.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 3 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
31-01-2014, 09:09 AM
(30-01-2014 10:30 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Welcome to the Snake Pit! I've been homeyluvafriends with a dyed-in-the-wool, never-set-foot-in-a-church atheist for, hell, better than a decade anyway.

The thought of someone I care deeply for committing suicide just horrifies me. My nephew attempted it (unsuccessfully) fairly recently, and I have great difficulty even thinking about it or discussing it. Your description of that church's claim about your husband just horrifies me. How could they be so cruel, ignorant, insensitive, and unthinking. Fuck.

Hope you like it here.

Yeah it pulled my head outta my arse in a hurry, but I got a lot of insensitive comments related to his death, anything from "it was probably my fault" to "what a selfish c*** for doing that and leaving a child fatherless" but I found that once I accepted that he was just gone, nothing more nothing less, it was very easy to accept and dissect/compartmentalise to get closure. Probably the worst thing I heard tho was from a relative who said "it's a shame he wanted to get into heaven, he knew the consequences of his actions and now he's burning in hell forever" (which should've been ironically painful to hear as my husband doused himself in fuel on the front lawn), but by then I'd been through the ringer and come to terms with it all and instead of getting upset I just said, if there is no god, that means there is no heaven or hell, and with an attitude like that you should be grateful hell is fictitious!
Sorry to hear about your recent close call with a loved one, it's heartbreaking when you realise someone feels so helpless that death is the only option! I hope he gets the help he needs/ deserves to overcome his problems and live a full and happy life Smile
[+] 2 users Like Crystal's post
31-01-2014, 09:13 AM
You're up late. Can't sleep?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.