Aussie Catholic Church Threatening to Fire Gay Couple Partners

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-08-2017, 05:00 PM
RE: Aussie Catholic Church Threatening to Fire Gay Couple Partners
(20-08-2017 07:05 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  Given what we know about Pope Francis, thus far, it's possible that he might rebuke Archbishop Hart or even fire him. I think this issue is far from over.

Unfortunately, I doubt it. Francis is too far from the coal-face, as it were. He relies on information sent to him from the Australian bishops, which is obviously biased in order to downplay the paedophile priests' activities.

From news a few days ago, Archbishop Denis Hart said: "Protections for confession should continue to be respected... confession in the Catholic Church is a spiritual encounter with God through the priest... it is a fundamental part of the freedom of religion...".

This stance is tantamount to the church continuing to protect and harbour paedophiles.

As the Royal Commission’s report on Catholic clergy abuse makes very clear, the importance of protecting children from sexual abuse means there should be absolutely no exemption for religious confessions. Hart's stance makes a mockery of the Catholic Church’s Trust Justice and Healing Council, which also argued for the continued "seal of confession" to remain.

You'd think the Catholic Church wouldn’t want to absolve paedophiles, but to hand them over to authorities. And yet the church wants to allow the continuation of confessions by child abusers, or confessions by those involved in the cover-up of child abuse, with no further action other than a few Hail Marys!

The entire purpose of the confessional is to absolve and pardon someone for their sins: to offer, as one priest put it, "divine forgiveness and healing".

Why does the church want to absolve paedophiles? You'd think they might want them to burn in hell for eternity. And yet it would seem this isn't the case—the church appears to be more concerned that priests are healed rather than the people they abuse. Ultimately, there should be no repentance for paedophiles. They should go to jail rather than receive the privilege of "divine healing", whatever that is.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
20-08-2017, 07:40 PM
SYZ, with those statistics I have to ask, does that mean the schools are teaching creationism rather than evolution? And what (if anything) are they teaching the kids about birth control and STDs?

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post
20-08-2017, 08:28 PM
(20-08-2017 07:40 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  SYZ, with those statistics I have to ask, does that mean the schools are teaching creationism rather than evolution?

Not Syz, but I highly doubt it. The Catholic Church teaches evolution is real; the Creation story is just a myth set down by a tribe of Canaanites to explain the creation of the universe. Now the STD part, my under-informed self would believe to be sky high.

Anywho, I'll just be over here hoping Pell and Hart both have their asses shown the door and to a new door with shiny metal bars.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Shai Hulud's post
20-08-2017, 09:02 PM
If only they were so tough on child fuckers.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
21-08-2017, 12:17 AM
(20-08-2017 05:00 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(20-08-2017 07:05 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  Given what we know about Pope Francis, thus far, it's possible that he might rebuke Archbishop Hart or even fire him. I think this issue is far from over.

Unfortunately, I doubt it. Francis is too far from the coal-face, as it were. He relies on information sent to him from the Australian bishops, which is obviously biased in order to downplay the paedophile priests' activities.

From news a few days ago, Archbishop Denis Hart said: "Protections for confession should continue to be respected... confession in the Catholic Church is a spiritual encounter with God through the priest... it is a fundamental part of the freedom of religion...".

This stance is tantamount to the church continuing to protect and harbour paedophiles.

As the Royal Commission’s report on Catholic clergy abuse makes very clear, the importance of protecting children from sexual abuse means there should be absolutely no exemption for religious confessions. Hart's stance makes a mockery of the Catholic Church’s Trust Justice and Healing Council, which also argued for the continued "seal of confession" to remain.

You'd think the Catholic Church wouldn’t want to absolve paedophiles, but to hand them over to authorities. And yet the church wants to allow the continuation of confessions by child abusers, or confessions by those involved in the cover-up of child abuse, with no further action other than a few Hail Marys!

The entire purpose of the confessional is to absolve and pardon someone for their sins: to offer, as one priest put it, "divine forgiveness and healing".

Why does the church want to absolve paedophiles? You'd think they might want them to burn in hell for eternity. And yet it would seem this isn't the case—the church appears to be more concerned that priests are healed rather than the people they abuse. Ultimately, there should be no repentance for paedophiles. They should go to jail rather than receive the privilege of "divine healing", whatever that is.

Pope Francis will likely condemn it IMO. Which will actually be a problem. He's the new, softer face of Catholicism. His whole schtick is to appear to a. clean up the Church's act b. tone down the divisive shit like anti-gay rhetoric. If he were to just leave the problems out in the open, it'd be better from a point of view of... it's like when someone's openly racist - at least you can keep your eye on the bugger and he's not fooling anyone.

El Popey, he's good at talking a good talk, but actual meaningful changes to church policy... he's still not exactly being super helpful with their paedophile shit, he's still not said "condoms are OK" which - OK if you're not wearing condoms for religious reasons you're stupid as fuck, but the fact that the Catholic church condemns it is actually a major problem still, because there are plenty of stupid people.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
24-08-2017, 01:07 AM
And so the same-sex relationship saga continues...

From today's Melbourne AGE 24/8/17:

Just Say 'NO': Archbishop Denis Hart Rallies Catholics Over 'Vital' Marriage Poll.

"Catholics are being told that casting a "no" vote in the "vital" same-sex marriage postal survey will ensure the "health and future" of Australian society. Melbourne Archbishop Denis Hart [age 76] has written an open pastoral letter urging Catholics to vote in the Marriage Law Postal Survey, ensuring their viewpoint is heard "on this vital public issue"...

While there was a "dignity" in being attracted to the same sex, Archbishop Hart said that respect for difference should be as important as a demand for equality...

Archbishop Hart recently told Fairfax Media [the AGE] that the church's 180,000 employees were expected to uphold its teachings "totally" if same-sex marriage was legalised and defiance would be treated "very seriously"...

In further support, the Archbishop of Adelaide in South Australia, Philip Wilson [age 67] has said the Catholic church believed "deeply in the holiness of marriage as part of God's divine plan for the human family".

All Aussies should be telling these homophobic old kiddie-fiddlers in their silly dresses and hats—in no uncertain terms—to mind their own fucking business, and that their Dark Ages, outmoded religion-based opinions, supported solely by a "faith" in some mythical supernatural entity are absolutely and unequivocally out of order in a 21st-century, scientifically enlightened society such as Australia. The claims by Archbishop Wilson about his god's "divine plan" would be considered ludicrous—were they not so frighteningly, earnestly delivered, divisive and antisocial.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.