Aussie Outdoor Smoking Prohibition Increased.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-07-2017, 02:00 AM
Exclamation Aussie Outdoor Smoking Prohibition Increased.
Smoking will be banned from nearly all outdoor dining areas in Melbourne, and the entire state, next week.

Any individual who ignores the ban can be fined up to $777, with a business facing a whack of $7,773...

Victoria is the last state to impose the ban and lags well behind Queensland and Western Australia where smoking in outdoor dining areas was outlawed in 2006. NSW and South Australia barred smoking in outdoor dining areas last year...

More recently, Queensland banned smoking within 10 metres of public picnic tables and barbecues, and within five metres of bus stops and taxi ranks...

A 2014 Cancer Council survey found 73% of Victorians disapprove of smoking in outdoor dining areas. Quit Victoria research shows 88% of Victorians do not smoke daily.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-07-2017, 05:49 AM
RE: Aussie Outdoor Smoking Prohibition Increased.
Outraged smokers will be up in arms over this........

Uh... Oh right.... Forgot...

Never mind.....

Smartass

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
01-08-2017, 01:38 PM
(27-07-2017 02:00 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Smoking will be banned from nearly all outdoor dining areas in Melbourne, and the entire state, next week.

Any individual who ignores the ban can be fined up to $777, with a business facing a whack of $7,773...

Victoria is the last state to impose the ban and lags well behind Queensland and Western Australia where smoking in outdoor dining areas was outlawed in 2006. NSW and South Australia barred smoking in outdoor dining areas last year...

More recently, Queensland banned smoking within 10 metres of public picnic tables and barbecues, and within five metres of bus stops and taxi ranks...

A 2014 Cancer Council survey found 73% of Victorians disapprove of smoking in outdoor dining areas. Quit Victoria research shows 88% of Victorians do not smoke daily.

We've been heading that way in Oregon for a while now. Smoking's been banned from restaurants, seems like forever. Banned in bars ten years ago, which caused the oldest business in town, more than a century, to shut down. It was a cigar club, bar, and pool hall. "No smoking" in a cigar club kinda makes the whole business untenable.

Outdoors, businesses ban smoking within 10-25 feet of an entrance; not sure what determines the exact distance, it may not be specified. And there's a bill that will probably come up this fall to ban outdoor smoking in all parks in the county. If that passes it's only a matter of time before the rest of the state follows suit.

I am curious as to how they arrived at the amounts of the fines -- $777 and $7773. Did they just pull numbers out of a hat, or throw darts, or is there some symbolic significance to those numbers that I'm not familiar with?

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
01-08-2017, 01:51 PM
(01-08-2017 01:38 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(27-07-2017 02:00 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Smoking will be banned from nearly all outdoor dining areas in Melbourne, and the entire state, next week.

We've been heading that way in Oregon for a while now. Smoking's been banned from restaurants, seems like forever. Banned in bars ten years ago, which caused the oldest business in town, more than a century, to shut down. It was a cigar club, bar, and pool hall. "No smoking" in a cigar club kinda makes the whole business untenable.

Outdoors, businesses ban smoking within 10-25 feet of an entrance; not sure what determines the exact distance, it may not be specified. And there's a bill that will probably come up this fall to ban outdoor smoking in all parks in the county. If that passes it's only a matter of time before the rest of the state follows suit.

I am curious as to how they arrived at the amounts of the fines -- $777 and $7773. Did they just pull numbers out of a hat, or throw darts, or is there some symbolic significance to those numbers that I'm not familiar with?

I'm guessing he converted it to US dollars......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
01-08-2017, 03:34 PM
When Queensland is ahead of you, you've got major problems.

... Says the South Australian...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
02-08-2017, 11:58 AM
(01-08-2017 01:38 PM)Dr H Wrote:  ...I am curious as to how they arrived at the amounts of the fines -- $777 and $7773. Did they just pull numbers out of a hat, or throw darts, or is there some symbolic significance to those numbers that I'm not familiar with?

For some reason unbeknownst to us plebs, our government just lurves oddball financial numbers. Witness our speeding fines, increasing by 10km/hr stages above the posted limit...

Less than 10km/h = $198, $317, $436, $515, $595, $674, by 45 km/h or more = $793.

For alcohol and illicit drug offences, the fines are based on what the government calls "Penalty Units", and the number of units is proportional to the nature of the offence. One standard penalty unit is equal to $155.46 (I kid you not!) so every fine ends up as some bizarrely illogical figure such as $777.30 for possession of up to 50g of cannabis for example.

Common sense (ha!) says that the figures would be rounded up or down to the nearest whole dollar, but for our bureaucracy that's obviously just a little too easy. And we don't wanna make things too easy for all those drivers breaking the speed limit by 3km/hr or smoking a single joint do we? Could bring on the end of the world as we know it. Dodgy

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
04-08-2017, 02:29 PM
(02-08-2017 11:58 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(01-08-2017 01:38 PM)Dr H Wrote:  ...I am curious as to how they arrived at the amounts of the fines -- $777 and $7773. Did they just pull numbers out of a hat, or throw darts, or is there some symbolic significance to those numbers that I'm not familiar with?

For some reason unbeknownst to us plebs, our government just lurves oddball financial numbers. Witness our speeding fines, increasing by 10km/hr stages above the posted limit...

Less than 10km/h = $198, $317, $436, $515, $595, $674, by 45 km/h or more = $793.

For alcohol and illicit drug offences, the fines are based on what the government calls "Penalty Units", and the number of units is proportional to the nature of the offence. One standard penalty unit is equal to $155.46 (I kid you not!) so every fine ends up as some bizarrely illogical figure such as $777.30 for possession of up to 50g of cannabis for example.

Common sense (ha!) says that the figures would be rounded up or down to the nearest whole dollar, but for our bureaucracy that's obviously just a little too easy. And we don't wanna make things too easy for all those drivers breaking the speed limit by 3km/hr or smoking a single joint do we? Could bring on the end of the world as we know it. Dodgy

Wow, sounds like there might be a whole extra level of middle management involved, just in determining fine amounts.

For crying out loud, DON'T tell anyone in the US government about this! Ohmy

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
05-08-2017, 10:41 AM

Sounding like it's only safe to have that Tuesday night poker game on a boat in th e big pond?

You have to be odd to be #1.