Aussie Telco Blackmailed by Catholic Church

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2016, 05:14 AM
Aussie Telco Blackmailed by Catholic Church
Telstra’s messy marriage between greed and equality...

Telstra has disappointed customers—and its own staff—with the decision to cower in the face of threats from the Catholic Church over the same-sex marriage issue in Australia. Telstra’s struggle between worshipping the almighty dollar and wanting to be seen to be a progressive, inclusive company came to a head yesterday. The company suffered a massive PR hit for bowing to Catholic Church threats over the company’s stance on same-sex marriage, and digging out of the mess is even more of a problem for Australia’s largest telecommunications company.

Whether it's because it's chasing the pink dollar or out of a genuine push for diversity inside one of Australia’s largest employers, Telstra has long been a supporter of LGBTI rights and is a corporate member of the national, not-for-profit employer support program for all aspects of LGBTI workplace inclusion Pride in Diversity.

The Church has written to Telstra suggesting the church would withdraw its business from the company if it were seen to be publicly supporting marriage equality. It's subsequently been reported that Telstra was backing away from publicly supporting marriage equality due to concerns it would risk the commercial contracts Telstra holds with the Catholic church.

Personally, I find this to be both offensive and preposterous.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
14-04-2016, 06:12 AM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2016 08:44 AM by DLJ.)
RE: Aussie Telco Blackmailed by Catholic Church
Telstra's response should have been an open letter ...

Dear Customers,

We wish to advise you that soon you will be hearing some news reports regarding The Catholic Church and their switch to another Telco due to our stance on equality.

Equality is one of corporate values and we think it not just important but essential for a humane, prosperous and empathetic Australia.

So we wish to say to the RCC that if you want to fuck us like you fuck little children ... go right ahead but ... fuck you!

Seriously, FUCK YOU!

Kindest regards
Telstra.

[+] 9 users Like DLJ's post
14-04-2016, 11:51 PM
Fuck, where is a pack of drop bears when you need one?

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
15-04-2016, 12:45 PM
[Image: crhFZ.jpg]

The rare Midget Drop Bear seizes its first prey.

[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
18-04-2016, 06:45 AM
Aussie telco forced to reverse discriminatory action...

Telstra "Backflip" on Marriage Equality Support Following Customer Backlash.

Last week, chief executive Andrew Penn announced the company would no longer "publicly participate" in the debate over same-sex marriage. It followed revelations that Telstra had quietly dropped its public support for marriage equality following pressure from one of its major clients, the Catholic Church.

But following a backlash in which many customers threatened to cancel their contracts, Penn conceded his announcement had been an error of judgment.

—Should we accept that a CEO on a base salary of $2.325 million makes an "error of judgment"—particularly in regard to such a relatively minor issue? How many other more critical errors of judgment does this bloke make with multi-billion-dollar contracts?

"It is clear that rather than Telstra stepping back we should in fact step forward and support our view for marriage equality and so that is what we will do," he wrote in a statement today.

The Catholic Church has also lobbied the homosexual CEO of QANTAS, Alan Joyce, to withdraw the carrier's public support for same-sex marriage... or else?

—We definitely need to urgently rein in the ever-increasing state/corporate/political influence of the RC church in Australia. This imbroglio between the church and state instrumentalities (Telstra and QANTAS) is totally at odds with the alleged separation of church and state surely?

[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post