Aussie grocery store warns customers about HARMFUL gendered pronouns

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-10-2016, 06:42 PM (This post was last modified: 15-10-2016 06:57 PM by cactus.)
Aussie grocery store warns customers about HARMFUL gendered pronouns
I would put this in News, except, you know, that's meant for shit that's actually news worthy.

This is Monash Wholefoods, not to be confused with the unaffiliated Whole Foods Market chain:
http://www.snopes.com/whole-foods-market...-language/

[Image: wholefoods.jpg]
"Folk?" That's rural cultural appropriation! Disgusting! DISGUSTING!

[Image: 2dcae03.jpg]

Hey guys, if any of you dudes are from Australia, how often do you gals hear the term "brother" to refer to a non-sibling? Is that a thing over there? If so, that's kind of weird and triggering. I'm already pretty triggered by the word "mates" because it implies that you're promiscuous and sexually active with a lot of your closest friends. I don't identify as someone who likes hearing that word. Stop using that word. Thanks.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like cactus's post
15-10-2016, 07:48 PM
RE: Aussie grocery store warns customers about HARMFUL gendered pronouns
One might choose the ever-lovely asexual term "tron" for these people. Big Grin Waiter/waitress becomes "waitron", for example. Or, "peop", sounds like "peep". Interesting neologisms can arise (though I first heard these in Freshman composition as a freshman at the university, in 1977): peophole cover instead of manhole cover, etc. Laughat
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
15-10-2016, 07:52 PM
(15-10-2016 06:42 PM)cactus Wrote:  I would put this in News, except, you know, that's meant for shit that's actually news worthy.

This is Monash Wholefoods, not to be confused with the unaffiliated Whole Foods Market chain:
http://www.snopes.com/whole-foods-market...-language/

[Image: wholefoods.jpg]
"Folk?" That's rural cultural appropriation! Disgusting! DISGUSTING!

[Image: 2dcae03.jpg]

Hey guys, if any of you dudes are from Australia, how often do you gals hear the term "brother" to refer to a non-sibling? Is that a thing over there? If so, that's kind of weird and triggering. I'm already pretty triggered by the word "mates" because it implies that you're promiscuous and sexually active with a lot of your closest friends. I don't identify as someone who likes hearing that word. Stop using that word. Thanks.

Kiwi's say "Bro'" all the time. Aussies say mate. However Mate is non gender specific.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
15-10-2016, 08:33 PM
(15-10-2016 07:52 PM)Banjo Wrote:  ...
Aussies say mate. However Mate is non gender specific.

Straylia ... where Trans means Transportation.

Wink

Welcome back, mate. Mistya.

Hug

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
15-10-2016, 08:39 PM (This post was last modified: 15-10-2016 08:43 PM by skyking.)
I like mate, it rolls off the tongue nicely, implies some sort of camaraderie without being overly familiar.
EDIT:
Oh I see it triggers you, cactus. I did not see that on the first pass. I call bullshit, as I see it as a shortened version of shipmate. We are all shipmates on this grand planet, Brother Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like skyking's post
15-10-2016, 08:40 PM (This post was last modified: 15-10-2016 10:20 PM by EvolutionKills.)
Why link to the Scopes article?

Here's the body of the post, explaining their reasoning (emphasis mine).

Dear Wholefoodians,

It's really important that you know someone's pronouns before using them, and if you're unsure of their pronouns you can ask them politely, or use non-gendered language until you know.

Pronouns are what we refer to ourselves when we aren't using our names. Pronouns are often gendered like "she", or "his", if you are cis-gendered your sex and your gender are the same as what you've been assigned at birth, for instance "she/her/hers". As in "Where did she go?", "this belongs to her”.

Some people are non-gendered, gender fluid or non-binary and it's important that you use their requested pronouns. This is most commonly seen as "they/them/theirs", but there are other pronouns used like "Ze/Hir/Hirs".

Some people are transgender, and they may not identify with the gender that they were assigned at birth. Do not assume someone’s pronouns or gender until you know them.

The same goes for gendered language outside of pronouns. Please refrain from using phrases like "thanks brother" or "hey man", "hello ladies". This is really important that we fight trans-discrimination at Wholefoods, and that we all educate ourselves on fighting trans-erasure.

Opt for non-gendered language when you are unaware of someone's pronouns and gender. You can say "thanks friend", or even just "thank-you". Please be aware of this in hospitality environments, as this occurs often. It's really important that we make trans people feel welcome and safe in our lives.

Thanks Wholefoodians!

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
15-10-2016, 11:34 PM
Working in a 'Blue collar' type industry all the Union people tend to say "Brother" when interacting.

Hug Banjo. Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
15-10-2016, 11:54 PM
(15-10-2016 08:40 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Why link to the Scopes article?

Here's the body of the post, explaining their reasoning (emphasis mine).

Dear Wholefoodians,

It's really important that you know someone's pronouns before using them, and if you're unsure of their pronouns you can ask them politely, or use non-gendered language until you know.

Pronouns are what we refer to ourselves when we aren't using our names. Pronouns are often gendered like "she", or "his", if you are cis-gendered your sex and your gender are the same as what you've been assigned at birth, for instance "she/her/hers". As in "Where did she go?", "this belongs to her”.

Some people are non-gendered, gender fluid or non-binary and it's important that you use their requested pronouns. This is most commonly seen as "they/them/theirs", but there are other pronouns used like "Ze/Hir/Hirs".

Some people are transgender, and they may not identify with the gender that they were assigned at birth. Do not assume someone’s pronouns or gender until you know them.

The same goes for gendered language outside of pronouns. Please refrain from using phrases like "thanks brother" or "hey man", "hello ladies". This is really important that we fight trans-discrimination at Wholefoods, and that we all educate ourselves on fighting trans-erasure.

Opt for non-gendered language when you are unaware of someone's pronouns and gender. You can say "thanks friend", or even just "thank-you". Please be aware of this in hospitality environments, as this occurs often. It's really important that we make trans people feel welcome and safe in our lives.

Thanks Wholefoodians!

I'm from cali, we call everyone dude. Male, female, makes no difference.

Dude....

[Image: tumblr_lxf6nsZVmE1r05y7eo1_500.gif]

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
16-10-2016, 12:56 AM
(15-10-2016 11:54 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I'm from cali, we call everyone dude. Male, female, makes no difference.

Dude....

[Image: tumblr_lxf6nsZVmE1r05y7eo1_500.gif]

Dude, noway!

Very way.

Dude.

Smokin

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
16-10-2016, 12:59 AM (This post was last modified: 16-10-2016 04:46 AM by EvolutionKills.)
Oh, and as a preemptive move against 'anti-SJW' sentiment.

"Opt for non-gendered language when you are unaware of someone's pronouns and gender. You can say "thanks friend", or even just "thank-you". Please be aware of this in hospitality environments, as this occurs often. It's really important that we make trans people feel welcome and safe in our lives.

Thanks Wholefoodians!"

You can get there entirely from cold and cynical economic calculus. If such people make up a sizable portion of their consumer base, or if they're trying to court more of them, then this is arguably a sound business move. No social justice needed if you're just looking to make more money by being more accommodating. Would you fault a restaurant putting up a sign post Civil Rights Act that went along the lines of 'hey, please don't forget, blacks are people too (and don't call them niggers)'?