Aussie grocery store warns customers about HARMFUL gendered pronouns

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-10-2016, 03:17 AM
RE: Aussie grocery store warns customers about HARMFUL gendered pronouns
(15-10-2016 08:39 PM)skyking Wrote:  I like mate, it rolls off the tongue nicely, implies some sort of camaraderie without being overly familiar.
EDIT:
Oh I see it triggers you, cactus. I did not see that on the first pass. I call bullshit, as I see it as a shortened version of shipmate. We are all shipmates on this grand planet, Brother Big Grin

Mate also works as a sarcastic address, "Look, mate..." can be the start of a tirade!

Then we also have playmate, the meaning of which might change somewhat as we leave childhood and enter the adult world...

I used to think the "pal" was the American version of "mate". And whatever happened to "bud" and "buddy"?

(Just checked the etymology: "pal" is Romany for "brother" or "mate" and "buddy" is from the English "butty" = "brother". "Mate" is late middle English from an old Germanic word for "comrade".)

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Gloucester's post
16-10-2016, 06:56 AM
I will stick with my fantasy, mate, shipmate, first mate. All hands on deck!
16-10-2016, 07:05 AM
I'll stick with the traditional non-gender specific forms of address....

Such as...

"asshole" and "fucker".

You can't go wrong with the traditional.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 6 users Like onlinebiker's post
16-10-2016, 07:06 AM
Honest terms of endearment, true displays of affection.
16-10-2016, 08:01 AM
I guess this is one of the reasons (or not) that I often welcome newbies here by saying "G'day mate".

The Monash Whole Foods mob are a bunch of over-radilcalised, self-entitled, cloistered university students whose cafe/store is housed in one of the Monash University union buildings in Clayton, a suburb of Melbourne. Most of them are totally out of touch with the harsh realities of the world, not having worked an honest day's toil in their thus far short lives, and existing in a sort of academic Elysium.

And this gender non-specific language thing is typical of their intellectual impairment—as an isolated group—but which is not shared by the average Aussie, who'd laugh at such an absurd proposal ever being considered seriously for more than 10 seconds.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 4 users Like SYZ's post
16-10-2016, 11:32 PM
Interesting how angry people get over the idea of not using gendered language...
[+] 6 users Like ViolexTV's post
17-10-2016, 02:33 AM
It doesn't hurt me in the least to say "thank you" without the "sir" or "ma'am" ... especially if the guy signing my paycheck is the one asking me to skip it. If gender-specific pronouns are that important to me, perhaps I should find work with anther company which doesn't make such drastic demands?

What's really up with the upset?

The only time I call somone they might not want to bear as a label, well, things have gotten rich by then. I don't otherwise see respecting someone's wishes as a trouble when it's only a personal address involved; and I can't pretend to understand people who do.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
17-10-2016, 04:22 AM
I will be honest that it really gets to me when someone calls me "sir". It's a good idea to respect an individual's wishes there. Putting up a sign requesting people to not use gendered pronouns with anyone at all, though, is batshit crazy.

So there's your opinion from a transgender person. Enjoy.
[+] 5 users Like Jesster's post
17-10-2016, 07:20 AM
(16-10-2016 11:32 PM)ViolexTV Wrote:  Interesting how angry people get over the idea of not using gendered language...

I really don't use it anyway, when I think about it. I tend to say thank you as much with my smile, a quick nod as I do with my words.
17-10-2016, 07:36 AM
(17-10-2016 04:22 AM)Jesster Wrote:  I will be honest that it really gets to me when someone calls me "sir". It's a good idea to respect an individual's wishes there. Putting up a sign requesting people to not use gendered pronouns with anyone at all, though, is batshit crazy.

So there's your opinion from a transgender person. Enjoy.

I would think that intent has to be factored in.

Most times when I used sir or ma’am it is meant as a sign of respect, nothing more needs to be read into it, most especially if you are a stranger. If I personally knew you disliked the term then I would refrain from using it.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 6 users Like Full Circle's post