Aussie grocery store warns customers about HARMFUL gendered pronouns

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-10-2016, 09:05 AM
RE: Aussie grocery store warns customers about HARMFUL gendered pronouns
I assume that poster is meant for their employees, not for their customers. Consider

I don't recall ever having to use 'gendered language' at a grocery store.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-10-2016, 10:13 AM
(17-10-2016 09:05 AM)Chas Wrote:  I assume that poster is meant for their employees, not for their customers. Consider

I don't recall ever having to use 'gendered language' at a grocery store.

Funny thing -- some languages DO have "gendered" words.....

My dad speaks Lithuanian -- and according to him -- most nouns have either a "male" or "female" slant to them........ He says you have to speak it, to really understand the concept......

and No Habla Lugan........

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
17-10-2016, 10:27 AM
Japanese has whole words that are gender separated, men's words and women's words. But seems they are getting it together these days!

A radio correspondent said he been laughed at because the Japanese he had picked up from his secretary, years before, had been "woman's talk".

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
17-10-2016, 03:35 PM
I sexually Identify as an Attack Helicopter. Ever since I was a boy I dreamed of soaring over the oilfields dropping hot sticky loads on disgusting foreigners. People say to me that a person being a helicopter is Impossible and I'm fucking retarded but I don't care, I'm beautiful. I'm having a plastic surgeon install rotary blades, 30 mm cannons and AMG-114 Hellfire missiles on my body. From now on I want you guys to call me "Apache" and respect my right to kill from above and kill needlessly. If you can't accept me you're a heliphobe and need to check your vehicle privilege. Thank you for being so understanding.
[+] 1 user Likes Gilgamesh's post
17-10-2016, 05:09 PM
Dunno but if I can deal and not take offence by complete total strangers saying "she" to me, then I am not sure why other trans people cannot.
I am not sitting in other trans peoples' heads but if you can feel "offended" or "hurt" by a complete stranger because he uses a fucking pronoun, then the problem is probably you and not that person. They address you the way they see you. If you look male, they say he, if you look female they say she. They address your physical appearance because they don't give a fuck what you identify as and they shouldn't have to give a fuck about it.
Like see, I would prefer to be addressed male but hey guess what, I cannot have everything I want in life and I cannot expect that from a stranger who just sees my physical appearance and hears my voice which is both very female. Reason works in all fields you know. Not just when it comes to theism/atheism. (Although I am lucky as most people don't "lady" and "ma'am" me and that is without me asking.)

Generally I hate when people who have nothing to do with the issue are fighting battles for minorities which those minorities themselves don't need, want, or ask for. If that shop has a trans employee than that trans employee better grow a thicker skin because nobody gives a shit.

If that shop just did that because they are "mindful" then they can go fuck themselves (wow look at my non-gendered language there) because no one asked them (there I did it again) for this.
Besides in the English speaking countries, I am not sure what else to say to a shop clerk other than "Do you know where the toilet paper is" and "Thank you, bye" So such a sign is completely useless in my opinion.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 2 users Like Leerob's post
17-10-2016, 05:10 PM
(17-10-2016 03:35 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  I sexually Identify as an Attack Helicopter. Ever since I was a boy I dreamed of soaring over the oilfields dropping hot sticky loads on disgusting foreigners. People say to me that a person being a helicopter is Impossible and I'm fucking retarded but I don't care, I'm beautiful. I'm having a plastic surgeon install rotary blades, 30 mm cannons and AMG-114 Hellfire missiles on my body. From now on I want you guys to call me "Apache" and respect my right to kill from above and kill needlessly. If you can't accept me you're a heliphobe and need to check your vehicle privilege. Thank you for being so understanding.

Does that mean you'll only come around if we kill 7 people?
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
17-10-2016, 06:02 PM (This post was last modified: 17-10-2016 06:08 PM by Jesster.)
To those saying that you can't know what everyone's gender preference is and you can't be expected to guess just by looking: I agree.

I only get upset at anyone who does know or does have some idea that a person is trans, but will continue to go against their gender preference anyway. Those are the actual asshats. Tiptoeing around everyone just in case they might be trans is absolutely not part of my expectations. That's just stupid.
[+] 6 users Like Jesster's post
17-10-2016, 07:57 PM
(17-10-2016 04:22 AM)Jesster Wrote:  I will be honest that it really gets to me when someone calls me "sir". It's a good idea to respect an individual's wishes there. Putting up a sign requesting people to not use gendered pronouns with anyone at all, though, is batshit crazy.

So there's your opinion from a transgender person. Enjoy.

Don't you present yourself as a female? If you do, then even I would be offended if people call you "sir".

I address people according to the gender they show the world. In the recent past, if I really couldn't distinguish a person's gender, my response would be to be horrified with my own inability to discern it and to avoid that person until I solved the mystery. Remember Pat from SNL? It's really only been recently that I came to understand that some people wish to present themselves as genderless. Those individuals have directly informed me how they want to be addressed so as to avoid awkward confusion.

If someone wants to be addressed one way and those wishes are deliberately ignored, than that person is a stupid jerk. Angry
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
17-10-2016, 09:58 PM
(17-10-2016 07:57 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(17-10-2016 04:22 AM)Jesster Wrote:  I will be honest that it really gets to me when someone calls me "sir". It's a good idea to respect an individual's wishes there. Putting up a sign requesting people to not use gendered pronouns with anyone at all, though, is batshit crazy.

So there's your opinion from a transgender person. Enjoy.

Don't you present yourself as a female? If you do, then even I would be offended if people call you "sir".

I address people according to the gender they show the world. In the recent past, if I really couldn't distinguish a person's gender, my response would be to be horrified with my own inability to discern it and to avoid that person until I solved the mystery. Remember Pat from SNL? It's really only been recently that I came to understand that some people wish to present themselves as genderless. Those individuals have directly informed me how they want to be addressed so as to avoid awkward confusion.

If someone wants to be addressed one way and those wishes are deliberately ignored, than that person is a stupid jerk. Angry

Yes, I do present myself as female. This is why I said that if someone has an idea of my gender presentation, but chooses to ignore it anyway, they are an asshat. Otherwise, I don't really care.

And yes, I did enjoy SNL's Pat. That's good humor there. Honestly, for situations where you don't know, just go with your own best judgement. If you're corrected for making a mistake, that's not on you. If they throw a fit at your mistake, then that's them being a complete nut and it's still not on you.
[+] 4 users Like Jesster's post
17-10-2016, 10:36 PM
I knew I wouldn't be in here long before someone posted that transphobic "attack helicopter" nonsense like it's an original joke or something.

Look, I'm really starting to think it's kinda like the "Happy Holidays" nonsense. We as a culture need to change how we think and talk in order to be more inclusive. Maybe putting up a sign is too much, too blatant, and more likely to provoke a negative reaction. But the essence is that we have to change to be more inclusive of people.
[+] 1 user Likes ViolexTV's post