Australia proves christian morals?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-01-2013, 11:07 AM
Question Australia proves christian morals?
This had to be one of the strangest arguements I've heard for theism so I thought I'd share it. This guy at a christian youth group said that Australia managed to form a good society from convicts because they all had a christian faith. I responded with saying that there is no way of telling if the faith played any part in the matter and that the convicts that made rules and worked together would have survived and formed societies from that. But this got me thinking, is it fair to say that the faith did or didn't have an effect in this case?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-01-2013, 11:09 AM
RE: Australia proves christian morals?
I primarily base that solution on who it benefits the most, if it only benefits them then I refuse to believe otherwise faith of any sort had anything to do with it at least in comparison to personal determination.

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]
11-01-2013, 11:28 AM
(11-01-2013 11:07 AM)FingerWatchTom Wrote:  This had to be one of the strangest arguements I've heard for theism so I thought I'd share it. This guy at a christian youth group said that Australia managed to form a good society from convicts because they all had a christian faith. I responded with saying that there is no way of telling if the faith played any part in the matter and that the convicts that made rules and worked together would have survived and formed societies from that. But this got me thinking, is it fair to say that the faith did or didn't have an effect in this case?
Many Christians seem to be under the impression that their religious beliefs are responsible for most the "good" things that happen -- however it's equally unlikely they have any real proof to back up such claims. I really don't know much about Australia -- except it's seasonally backward. Big Grin

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

11-01-2013, 11:32 AM
(11-01-2013 11:07 AM)FingerWatchTom Wrote:  This had to be one of the strangest arguements I've heard for theism so I thought I'd share it. This guy at a christian youth group said that Australia managed to form a good society from convicts because they all had a christian faith. I responded with saying that there is no way of telling if the faith played any part in the matter and that the convicts that made rules and worked together would have survived and formed societies from that. But this got me thinking, is it fair to say that the faith did or didn't have an effect in this case?
I have a vested interest in this particular discussion.

My rebuttal to this group?

Fuck. No. Now get away from my nation, and stay way.

Australia's social climate has many contributing factors that have nothing to do with religion. I'd go through a list, but frankly I a dog tired and cannot express thoughts correctly. Maybe once I've got some food down me gut I'll expand on that.

The convicts and settlers had to adapt to the different environment, creating a greater focus on teamwork and subsequently the iconic 'mateship' concept, a concept which in turn enforced the growth of a relatively stable society. As isolationist policies faded away and racism began to die away, immigrants came in droves, forcing further cultural adaptation, eventually creating the multicultural society that is today's Australia. Religion on server to hamper progress, as it almost always seems to manage by forming cultural barriers.

That's just my relatively uneducated take on the matter.

Next up?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
11-01-2013, 11:34 AM
(11-01-2013 11:32 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
I have a vested interest in this particular discussion.

Australia's social climate has many contributing factors that have nothing to do with religion. I'd go through a list, but frankly I a dog tired and cannot express thoughts correctly. Maybe once I've got some food down me gut I'll expand on that.

The convicts and settlers had to adapt to the different environment, creating a greater focus on teamwork and subsequently the iconic 'mateship' concept, a concept which in turn enforced the growth of a relatively stable society. As isolationist policies faded away and racism began to die away, immigrants came in droves, forcing further cultural adaptation, eventually creating the multicultural society that is today's Australia. Religion on server to hamper progress, as it almost always seems to manage by forming cultural barriers.

Next up?

I thought that since everything's like upside-down and backwards, you'd mostly be satanists. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-01-2013, 11:46 AM
(11-01-2013 11:34 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(11-01-2013 11:32 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I have a vested interest in this particular discussion.

Next up?

I thought that since everything's like upside-down and backwards, you'd mostly be satanists. Consider
If I remember right, Christianity (as a blanket term) has majority at 61.1 per cent of the population, "No religion" sits at 22.3, in 2011.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
11-01-2013, 11:50 AM
Christians view the whole world through their little mantras: If it's cool, it's because of god, and if it's not cool, it's because we live in an imperfect world since the fall. Cool stuff, god gets credit, bad stuff, our fault. End of story.

Australia cobbled together a society from improbable roots - instead of a bunch of settlers heading off to settle new lands together, it was a penal colony founded mainly by people where were unwanted in any other society. It worked. Since it worked, the Christian view is that god gets credit.

If the same people had failed to create a working society, the Christian answer would be "Well, they were chriminals after all, of course they weren't good Christians, so obviously they couldn't have ever built a successful society."

Same people, opposite stories based post hoc on the final outcome, either way it's retroactively fit into their little narrow-minded point of view so they can keep chanting their same old tired mantras.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 4 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
11-01-2013, 12:14 PM
Re: Australia proves christian morals?
I lived in Australia for five years. And I was only spoken to about god once. By a little old lady. And even she wasn't very pushy. They were a LOT more relaxed and accepting there than what I've experienced here in America. At least when it comes to religion.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
11-01-2013, 12:28 PM
(11-01-2013 12:14 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I lived in Australia for five years. And I was only spoken to about god once. By a little old lady. And even she wasn't very pushy. They were a LOT more relaxed and accepting there than what I've experienced here in America. At least when it comes to religion.
That doesn't matter.

The fact that they did good things from troubled roots is incontrovertible proof that it was their good Christian values that impelled the almighty to do this great work for them. There is no other explanation to the closed Christian mind.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
11-01-2013, 12:35 PM
That argument only has merit if you hold one or more double standards and cherry-pick the countries with high religiosity and low crime rates (or whatever) and ignore those with low religiosity and low crime rates (most of Europe) and high religiosity and high crime rates (USA, many African countries, etc.).

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post