Australia's 2016 Census data is out now; 'no religion' continues rise

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-06-2017, 10:03 PM
Australia's 2016 Census data is out now; 'no religion' continues rise
According to data released by the Australia Bureau of Statistics, 'No religion' (including secular and hippy-dippy spiritualistic bullshit) is now the single largest 'religious' group used in census polling; making up now 30.1% of the population, eclipsing Catholicism by 7.5% (down from 25.3 to 22.6%) in the 5 years between census'.

That said, Christianity, is still the largest total group, accounting for 52.1% of the total population when all the sects are merged.

In other religious groups, we find that Australia is now positively teaming, flooded even, by Muslims, which increased a staggering .4% since 2011, accounting for 2.6% of the population. Watch yourselves, Australians, at this rate they'll have you under Sharia in no time!

Some helpful breakdown graphs were provided by the ABS

[Image: 0.5A8!OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=gif]
[Image: 3.2C30!OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=gif]
[Image: 8.4B7A!OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=gif]

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 12 users Like Free Thought's post
26-06-2017, 10:59 PM
RE: Australia's 2016 Census data is out now; 'no religion' continues rise
Spiritual still usually indicates a belief in something stupid. Just make up your own god..

Fucking hate that shit just as bad.
[+] 3 users Like I'mFred's post
27-06-2017, 01:37 AM
(26-06-2017 10:59 PM)ImFred Wrote:  Spiritual still usually indicates a belief in something stupid. Just make up your own god..

Likewise, Christian doesn't mean practicing Christian.

I think that's the big difference between Commonwealth and Western Euro countries and the US. While countries still have percentages like 51% that identify as Christian, those people aren't bible thumping hardcore nutjobs. The US has a far larger nutjob base than most other western countries. The US's take on religion is so hardcore and.. intense compared to other western countries.

You guys are bombarded by it, it's shoved down your throats in everything. Whereas here in normal western countries, religion is very much an afterthought.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
27-06-2017, 01:43 AM
If only less enlightened countries would follow Australia example.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
27-06-2017, 06:41 AM
(27-06-2017 01:37 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Whereas here in normal western countries, religion is very much an afterthought.

Or not so much an afterthought, but even the sincere nutters aren't as nutty as the US nutters. You guys have a special brand of special.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
27-06-2017, 10:19 AM
[Image: church-attendance-in-austra.jpg]

Tongue

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
27-06-2017, 03:56 PM
(26-06-2017 10:03 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  According to data released by the Australia Bureau of Statistics, 'No religion' (including secular and hippy-dippy spiritualistic bullshit) is now the single largest 'religious' group used in census polling; making up now 30.1% of the population, eclipsing Catholicism by 7.5% (down from 25.3 to 22.6%) in the 5 years between census'.

I honestly would rejoice about those kind of statistics if it were the number of secular people that raised, because "no religion" also includes all the people who believe in the new age bullshit. For me it's basically the same, instead of identifying to one religion, they believe in tons of bullshit taken from different religions.
I would be curious to see the evolution of atheism by years, I think proportion of atheists are quite stable and I'm even afraid that it won't evolve much (or even regress) as we don't go proselytizing while new age bullshits seem to be basically everywhere.
[+] 1 user Likes Sturm's post
27-06-2017, 09:13 PM (This post was last modified: 27-06-2017 09:19 PM by Free Thought.)
(27-06-2017 01:43 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  If only less enlightened countries would follow Australia example.

Sadly, it ain't all hot here... wait, this is Australia so yes it is hot... okay bad example, let's move on and forget that happened. We're getting more secular and/or wooie twits each year sure, but we still have a lot of problems I would prefer the rest of the world not follow our example on...

(27-06-2017 03:56 PM)Sturm Wrote:  
(26-06-2017 10:03 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  According to data released by the Australia Bureau of Statistics, 'No religion' (including secular and hippy-dippy spiritualistic bullshit) is now the single largest 'religious' group used in census polling; making up now 30.1% of the population, eclipsing Catholicism by 7.5% (down from 25.3 to 22.6%) in the 5 years between census'.

I honestly would rejoice about those kind of statistics if it were the number of secular people that raised, because "no religion" also includes all the people who believe in the new age bullshit. For me it's basically the same, instead of identifying to one religion, they believe in tons of bullshit taken from different religions.
I would be curious to see the evolution of atheism by years, I think proportion of atheists are quite stable and I'm even afraid that it won't evolve much (or even regress) as we don't go proselytizing while new age bullshits seem to be basically everywhere.
(26-06-2017 10:59 PM)ImFred Wrote:  Spiritual still usually indicates a belief in something stupid. Just make up your own god..

I'd love to see the breakdown of the No Religion section given that secularists, humanists, atheists, agnostics, idiots that believe rocks are magical but gods not so much, we are all One, etc, are all included under that banner.

That said, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing that the crazy hippies are lumped in with us: look at it from a strategic perspective; more there are 'over here' for whatever reason, the fewer are 'over there', and so what if they are hippy dippy spiritualists or actual secularists? They preachers can't rally them from the pulpit to suit their needs like the can with their own flocks.
Even though we may or may not be gaining much ground as secularists, the antisecular ranks are dwindling and that, I feel, is what we need to keep in mind; while we do need to temper our optimism here due to the inclusions, we'd do well to keep in mind that any movement of opposition away from themselves is good for us.

... did that make sense?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 3 users Like Free Thought's post
28-06-2017, 02:56 AM
(27-06-2017 09:13 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Sadly, it ain't all hot here... wait, this is Australia so yes it is hot... okay bad example, let's move on and forget that happened. We're getting more secular and/or wooie twits each year sure, but we still have a lot of problems I would prefer the rest of the world not follow our example on...

Sure, but getting more secular could solve some of Poland problems. Sadly I doubt that much will change in years to come.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
28-06-2017, 07:17 AM
I think our opinions depend on what background we come from and what "religion" we were confronted and how much it had an impact on our life. I see a lot of atheists coming from christianity who are even more bothered by christianity than by other religions, probably because christianity ruled and ruined their life for years. I would probably have a different opinion if I were from the United Stated and had grown up in christian environment. In my country, the christians I knew were rather harmless : no preaching, no proselytizing. On the contrary, I don't think new agers are as harmless as it seems :

- a lot of them are actually proselytizing

- most christian people go to the doctor in case of medical issue, sure they keep praying but at least they follow a real medical treatment, only the most extreme of them don't go to the doctor at all, but they are just a small proportion, while new agers - extreme or not - despise medicine in general because they don't trust it. Not only they will rather visit an "alternative therapeut" (= woo guy), instead of having a real medical treatment, but also, they will advise other people to do the same. This drives me crazy when I hear someone with a treatable condition trying useless woo thing instead of following a real treatment.

- the fact that they don't fit in any "religious" group make them more untraceable, which is why they might seem harmless because we probably underestimate how many there are of them

- they are so open minded that they believe basically anything, as long as it's counter current and doesn't follow the "official explanation" (which is for them a lie), so it's not just one belief that needs to be addressed for them to realize their delusion, there is no dogma, but a thousands of different beliefs. The fact that some of those beliefs contradict each other doesn't seem to bother them, this show how little hope their is for their desindoctrination.

- it's not rare that some of them use those beliefs to justify manipulative or immoral acts, in the name of "we are all one" shit, "this is just love" and things like that. At the same time, they sometimes prone passivity while facing unacceptable situations.

- I personaly can't stand how self righteous and condescending they can be while at the same time believing they are "so cool". If you disagree with them, you'll just be regarded as an "unevolved being", someone who isn't yet enlightened, still believing in lies, poor of you, you can't see the big picture, etc.

So I don't think "crazy hippies" are a step between religion and secularism, on the contrary, I think some secular people can be lured into it. They are gaining ranks because it has become trendy, it's much too blurred to be understood (no dogma) so basically anybody can go into it. They might not be antisecular, but most of them are anti science, which for me does as much harm.

Just to illustrate my worry about this, I think David Wolfe page had about 1 million followers not so long ago. They are 11 millions now... 11 millions people are willing to read nonsense (and usually anti-science) publication from a guy who probably doesn't even have elementary school level in science. I find this really alarming.
[+] 2 users Like Sturm's post