Australian 2016 Census and Religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-07-2016, 04:24 PM
Exclamation Australian 2016 Census and Religion
Atheists urge Australians not to joke around by putting Jedi as their religion on the census...

http://tinyurl.com/z5zmhx3

In the previous 2011 census 64,390 Australians marked Jedi as their religion, up from 58,053 in 2006. This put the number of Jedi in Australia just behind Sikhs and above Seventh Day Adventists.

The president of the Atheist Foundation of Australia is leading a campaign for people not to treat the census as a joke. This is because if people fill in the "other" box in the religion section of the census with an answer such as Jedi they are counted as "not defined" rather than "no religion".

This year's census, to be held next Tuesday will be the first where "no religion" sits at the top of ten possible responses rather than at the bottom. Yay for us! Thumbsup

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like SYZ's post
30-07-2016, 04:43 PM
RE: Australian 2016 Census and Religion
(30-07-2016 04:24 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Atheists urge Australians not to joke around by putting Jedi as their religion on the census...

http://tinyurl.com/z5zmhx3

In the previous 2011 census 64,390 Australians marked Jedi as their religion, up from 58,053 in 2006. This put the number of Jedi in Australia just behind Sikhs and above Seventh Day Adventists.

The president of the Atheist Foundation of Australia is leading a campaign for people not to treat the census as a joke. This is because if people fill in the "other" box in the religion section of the census with an answer such as Jedi they are counted as "not defined" rather than "no religion".

This year's census, to be held next Tuesday will be the first where "no religion" sits at the top of ten possible responses rather than at the bottom. Yay for us! Thumbsup

I'm looking forward to the data that comes out from this census. Since the 60's data has show a continuous increase in the non-religious.
Given how things have shifted through time, it will be interesting to me to see if the trend continued.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 3 users Like Free Thought's post
30-07-2016, 05:23 PM
It is great but did we see this article? http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/programs/h...ct/7673872
very sad and worrying! I hope people don't let fear rule the info. We really need accurate data to show how secular we truly have become so we can have a firm platform when funding is handed out. I hate how many kids including myself were forced to go to Catholic School as the state ones in the area are so crap. This could help change that! Sad but true people in our movement are not automatically immune to stupidity lucky most of us are skeptical enough to pull people up.

My tolerance done not extend to your intolerance Angel
[+] 3 users Like no_s_sherlock's post
30-07-2016, 05:32 PM
There's a census? Huh

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
30-07-2016, 05:47 PM
(30-07-2016 05:32 PM)Banjo Wrote:  There's a census? Huh

yep the ABS are at it again it is on 9/8/16 sight here for info
http://www.abs.gov.au/census

30-07-2016, 05:54 PM
(30-07-2016 05:47 PM)no_s_sherlock Wrote:  
(30-07-2016 05:32 PM)Banjo Wrote:  There's a census? Huh

yep the ABS are at it again it is on 9/8/16 sight here for info
http://www.abs.gov.au/census

Oh cool. I can do it online.

Thanks mate. Thumbsup

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
31-07-2016, 01:36 AM
(30-07-2016 05:23 PM)no_s_sherlock Wrote:  It is great but did we see this article? http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/programs/h...ct/7673872
very sad and worrying! I hope people don't let fear rule the info. We really need accurate data to show how secular we truly have become so we can have a firm platform when funding is handed out. I hate how many kids including myself were forced to go to Catholic School as the state ones in the area are so crap. This could help change that! Sad but true people in our movement are not automatically immune to stupidity lucky most of us are skeptical enough to pull people up.

Thanks for that link... I hadn't seen it. Thumbsup

One point worried me though; one respondent said "though I am an atheist, I'll be putting down the religion I was born into. I won't be letting Islam take the upper hand. This is really important," she wrote".

To me this is illogical, as the majority of today's atheists—like me—were more than likely "born into" a religion. For me it was a conservative Methodist family, but by my late teen years I was an avowed (and open) atheist. Why for fuck's sake would I now mark myself as some sort of Christian after all those years?

In a nominally secular country like Australia Islam will never become the default major religion due to people leaving Christianity in favour of atheism, or "no religion".

In my opinion, I don't know why our census doesn't include the category "atheist", rather than "no religion"—which is too open to personal interpretation. Or are we still a little too afraid of the demonic forces of atheism and its dire consequences leading to another Sodom and Gomorrah LOL.

(Excuse me while I polish my horns.....)

[Image: 6331.gif]

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
31-07-2016, 01:40 AM
But Jedi is a real religion Tongue

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
31-07-2016, 02:09 AM
SYZ HeeHee and yes completely agree. I think it best to cast the net wide though. "No religion" can in include all sorts of "spiritual" types better they be counted with us than put off by the big bad "A" word which unfortunately some people don't understand fully. Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes no_s_sherlock's post
31-07-2016, 04:20 AM
(31-07-2016 01:40 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  But Jedi is a real religion Tongue

Not here it ain't.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.