Australian Education Standards v. American... Take a Test

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-11-2016, 05:30 PM
Question Australian Education Standards v. American... Take a Test
Every year Victorian (Australian) Year 12 students take a General Achievement Test (GAT) to check their ability in things like maths, humanities, science, reasoning and comprehension. Think you’ve got what it takes to pass a GAT? Put your skills to the test with this selection of questions from previous years’ exams. Although GAT results do not count directly towards a student’s Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) results—and entry to a university degree course— they play an important role in checking that school assessments and examinations have been accurately assessed.

I'm not posting my score yet until I see what others make of what I consider to be a deliberately "trick" question.

http://this.deakin.edu.au/study/can-you-...-vce-exams

Be warned: these are challenging—put your thinking cap on and take your time when answering. Confused

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-11-2016, 05:41 PM
RE: Australian Education Standards v. American... Take a Test
I never understood this "look, these school kids are learning stuff you don't know. Look how smart they are.".

So? I went to school too. I got the most qualifications possible out of High School.
I think all it shows is that I've forgotten 75% of it all meaning a lot of what we teach our kids is fucking useless and a waste of time.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
13-11-2016, 05:44 PM (This post was last modified: 13-11-2016 06:03 PM by cactus.)
'Knowledge can be communicated, but not wisdom.' This statement suggests that wisdom:

Answer in spoiler:
is not knowledge

What? How is that the "correct" answer?
Knowledge CAN be communicated. CAN, not MUST. So it's logically consistent for wisdom to be one of the types of knowledge that CAN'T be communicated.

I am correct. Fuck this quiz.
The question implies a sort of hard prescriptivism on those two words as well, which I find to be quite bullshit.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
13-11-2016, 05:49 PM
7/8. I missed the P,Q,R,S equation. My mind just doesn't work that way. lol

Which did you consider the trick question? The boat one? That seemed too easy compared to the others which required you to use some logic to infer the best answer. Although the triangle question was really easy, too.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
13-11-2016, 05:53 PM
7/8, knowledge one threw me too.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-11-2016, 05:56 PM
Triangles was the easiest. 1 and 8 were the hardest.

13-11-2016, 05:58 PM
I substituted the word 'learned' for communicated' and then the answer made sense to me.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
13-11-2016, 06:01 PM
(13-11-2016 05:30 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Every year Victorian (Australian) Year 12 students take a General Achievement Test (GAT) to check their ability in things like maths, humanities, science, reasoning and comprehension. Think you’ve got what it takes to pass a GAT? Put your skills to the test with this selection of questions from previous years’ exams. Although GAT results do not count directly towards a student’s Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) results—and entry to a university degree course— they play an important role in checking that school assessments and examinations have been accurately assessed.

I'm not posting my score yet until I see what others make of what I consider to be a deliberately "trick" question.

http://this.deakin.edu.au/study/can-you-...-vce-exams

Be warned: these are challenging—put your thinking cap on and take your time when answering. Confused

What's passing? I got 6
13-11-2016, 06:12 PM (This post was last modified: 13-11-2016 06:19 PM by cactus.)
(13-11-2016 05:58 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  I substituted the word 'learned' for communicated' and then the answer made sense to me.

Wisdom can't be learned? How would a brain retrieve wisdom-related info, if it's not learned? Oh, maybe wisdom is just a read-only property inside of my brain, that retrieves some "stuffLearned" bits from private variables and compiles them into a readable format for me. Thanks, brain Laugh out load

13-11-2016, 06:40 PM (This post was last modified: 13-11-2016 06:43 PM by dancefortwo.)
I haven't looked at it but if it's got something more than simple Algebra I'm cooked!

I don't consider myself to be unintelligent or ignorant though. I know how the physics of a ballet pirouette work .....so there's that. Whoop-dee-do. Dodgy

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.