Australian Education Standards v. American... Take a Test

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-11-2016, 06:44 PM
RE: Australian Education Standards v. American... Take a Test
I got them all correct, but only because of this thread I got the first one correct, and honestly I might have gotten it wrong. Tongue

What does this prove? Or what's it supposed to show?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-11-2016, 06:50 PM
(13-11-2016 06:44 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I got them all correct, but only because of this thread I got the first one correct, and honestly I might have gotten it wrong. Tongue

that you have a computer.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
13-11-2016, 06:51 PM
(13-11-2016 06:50 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  
(13-11-2016 06:44 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I got them all correct, but only because of this thread I got the first one correct, and honestly I might have gotten it wrong. Tongue

that you have a computer.

Ooooh Smartass

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
13-11-2016, 06:55 PM
(13-11-2016 06:12 PM)cactus Wrote:  
(13-11-2016 05:58 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  I substituted the word 'learned' for communicated' and then the answer made sense to me.

Wisdom can't be learned? How would a brain retrieve wisdom-related info, if it's not learned? Oh, maybe wisdom is just a read-only property inside of my brain, that retrieves some "stuffLearned" bits from private variables and compiles them into a readable format for me. Thanks, brain Laugh out load

There is actually research and philosophical thinking debating this very thing. And I suppose it depends to which sort of wisdom you are referring.

In short, for MY brain, this substitution of wording made sense enough to get me to the 'correct' answer. 'Correct' is clearly debatable. Smile

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
13-11-2016, 06:59 PM
7/8, I should have followed my first instinct on the graph question. I still think my answer was better than the correct one.

I thought the questions were interesting but not difficult. Loved the poem.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
13-11-2016, 07:05 PM
In regards to the knowledge vs wisdom question a few of you missed, whether or not you believe wisdom can be taught us irrelevant. You're analyzing the logical conclusion of that statement with no other assumptions, not whether or not you agree with that conclusion.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
13-11-2016, 07:12 PM (This post was last modified: 13-11-2016 07:51 PM by SYZ.)
(13-11-2016 06:01 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  What's passing? I got 6

Yeppers... 75% passes. (Although in actuality, there is no pass or fail in this assessment). If your "real" exams are borderline though, the examiners will refer back to your GAT result and possibly standardise your final marks.

I got 6 correct; I failed the "knowledge" question, and also what I consider a trick question: How many triangles would be added to Figure 6 to produce Figure 7? I hastily misread it as Figure 5 to produce Figure 6. (Because there was no Figure 6)... duh.

At any rate, the actual, full quotation from Siddhartha is:

"Wisdom cannot be imparted. Wisdom that a wise man attempts to impart always sounds like foolishness to someone else. Knowledge can be communicated, but not wisdom. One can find it, live it, do wonders through it, but one cannot communicate and teach it."

—The full quotation is far more self-explanatory, and should've been provided. But then most current school teachers (in Australia, at least) are poorly vocationally-equipped fucktards anyway, living in an academic caliginosity.

—And... given an "irregular" arithmetic sequence, one needs to find a function f which is defined by some kind of combination of additions or multiplication so that f(n) is the nth term of the sequence. A function can be determined when the sequence is finite, so, maybe surprisingly, it is possible—but admittedly not in the general sense. Which means—not given Figure 6, it's theoretically impossible to work out Figure 7 with absolute certainty.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
13-11-2016, 07:12 PM
8/8. When I taught high school geometry, there was a problem that I demonstrated the solution for that was very similar to the building triangles problem. The solution showed how to derive an expression that will give the number of connections between any number of points. Once you learn that process, the solution to problems like that one are pretty straightforward. It doesn't hurt that in '86-'87, I worked on an array antenna that had 91 elements. That triangle problem was a direct reminder of the math for that.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
13-11-2016, 07:57 PM
(13-11-2016 07:12 PM)Fireball Wrote:  8/8. When I taught high school geometry, there was a problem that I demonstrated the solution for that was very similar to the building triangles problem. The solution showed how to derive an expression that will give the number of connections between any number of points. Once you learn that process, the solution to problems like that one are pretty straightforward. [...]

I agree in principle, but the preface did say "No study, internet or calculator (should be) needed". What you're suggesting does require at least a middling-level knowledge of maths fundamentals. Which—probably—most of us don't have?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
13-11-2016, 08:33 PM
(13-11-2016 07:57 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(13-11-2016 07:12 PM)Fireball Wrote:  8/8. When I taught high school geometry, there was a problem that I demonstrated the solution for that was very similar to the building triangles problem. The solution showed how to derive an expression that will give the number of connections between any number of points. Once you learn that process, the solution to problems like that one are pretty straightforward. [...]

I agree in principle, but the preface did say "No study, internet or calculator (should be) needed". What you're suggesting does require at least a middling-level knowledge of maths fundamentals. Which—probably—most of us don't have?

I could have just counted the number of triangles added at each stage, and drawn the next two stages; if I wasn't time-limited, I could do that (as was the case). I'd like to think, though, that a kid at that point in his/her life was still fairly conversant with the math. I taught at a private school where most of the kids didn't give a pinch of feces about what they had to tolerate at school, as they were entertainment industry brats...at that particular school. I would like to think that schools the globe over had a curriculum with enough math to cover that test question...and it is just a counting exercise, really. Given enough years, we will forget these things, though. There are points of US history that people bring up where I have no clue, because of the time elapsed. I haven't studied US history since 1977. "Use it or lose it" really is true. To be honest, 8/8 is just a result of the responses to this particular set of questions. I'll bet if another set was presented, I may not do as well.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post