Australian Woman Killed By Police in Minnesota

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-07-2017, 09:17 AM
RE: Australian Woman Killed By Police in Minnesota
(19-07-2017 08:19 AM)SYZ Wrote:  The following link refers to a report in one of Australia's national newspapers today 19/7/17...

Justine Damond Death: Minneapolis Authorities are Not Joining the Dots.

"Officials are not joining the dots. But three days after the police killing of Australian Justine Damond in the Minneapolis suburbs, the emerging narrative is this: spooked by fireworks that exploded just before Damond approached a squad car, a cop pulled his gun and shot through the driver's side window.

Damond can't tell us what happened in a darkened alley—because she died, after taking a bullet in the abdomen. And the man who seemingly admits to pulling the trigger is refusing to be interviewed —that's his constitutional right, we're told."

—Surely this refusal can't be a "constitutional right" that enables an individual facing an indictment to refuse to a police interview—at the very least by Minnesota's Bureau of Criminal Apprehension. And what's this "seemingly" weasel word? The beginnings of a police cover up? It's more than obvious to everyone involved that Noor pulled the trigger and killed Damond.

"[Doesn't] the Damond killing point to an even greater problem, in that Minneapolis had a law and order culture that allowed two rookie cops—Harrity, 12 months; Noor, 21 months—to cruise a neighbourhood late at night, armed with guns they didn't seem to know how to use?

The mayor [Betsy Hodges] deflected: I think your question is more about policing in the US—and we are in a country where people have guns.

And somehow that misses the point of Damond's death. It was she who had called the cops and she was anything but a threat in her pyjamas and armed only with a mobile phone as she ventured into the night to see what was happening in the alley behind her home".

He doesn't have to make a statement. He still has rights under the constitution. The best thing you can do is not talk and leave it to the lawyers when you are in a situation where charges could be filed. Drinking Beverage

If ordered to make a statement by the department then that statement would not be valid as it isn't voluntary. Their union rep and attorney will make that abundantly clear.

People think cops have much more training and ability with weapons than they really do. We've seen a few instances (and I'd include this one) where a cop apparently panicked and started shooting. We need to figure out what departments that have fewer issues do and see how that can be used elsewhere. I'm sure that they'll rely on her holding something in her hand that could have been a gun as the gist of why he fired.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
19-07-2017, 09:52 AM
(19-07-2017 08:41 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(19-07-2017 08:34 AM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  He comes off as fucking Alex Jones when it comes to this topic. Which is a tad hilarious since he accuses the "other side" of being irrational and jumping to conclusions.....and then he doubles down on the irrational, jumps to absurd conclusions, and then rants and raves like a goddamn lunatic.

Don't you know? If a cop shoots you, you have to have been guilty, because cops only shoot guilty people. Or innocent people sometimes by accident, especially if they're white and Australian and inconveniently hard to gloss over. But why go to the expense of a trial when we all know that the cop is really innocent? Dodgy

It's a view that is, alas, all too common. I respect cops, just as I respect everyone who does an honest day's work and takes care of their shit. Some people think they should be revered just for being employed as cops.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 7 users Like tomilay's post
19-07-2017, 11:11 AM
(19-07-2017 09:17 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  I'm sure that they'll rely on her holding something in her hand that could have been a gun as the gist of why he fired.

My best bet is that she was still holding the cellphone she used to make the call to 911

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
19-07-2017, 11:20 AM
(19-07-2017 11:11 AM)epronovost Wrote:  
(19-07-2017 09:17 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  I'm sure that they'll rely on her holding something in her hand that could have been a gun as the gist of why he fired.

My best bet is that she was still holding the cellphone she used to make the call to 911

I wouldn't bet against that.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
19-07-2017, 11:44 AM
Assault with a deadly cell phone remember folks, cops are perfectTongue
19-07-2017, 03:07 PM (This post was last modified: 19-07-2017 03:31 PM by SYZ.)
I've just read in this morning's paper (Aus Thur 20th) that—as I expected—the Minneapolis police force has started its cover-up campaign.

"Reasonable" for Police to Fear Ambush, Lawyer Says

The lawyer for one of the US police officers (Noor) involved in the shooting death of Australian Justine Damond says it is "certainly reasonable" his client feared he was the target of an ambush.

So they haven't even interviewed rookie officer Noor for his side of the story (because he refused—until he lawyers up and they concoct a cover story) but suddenly, as if by clairvoyance, these arseholes now reckon it could've been an ambush. What a load of absolute bullshit! First it's fireworks that scared these fearless paragons of the law, now it's this.

EDIT: Removed offensive comments regarding blacks and Islam. No

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
19-07-2017, 03:20 PM
(19-07-2017 08:19 AM)SYZ Wrote:  spooked by fireworks that exploded just before Damond approached a squad car, a cop pulled his gun and shot through the driver's side window.
A resident of Minnesota -- in the USA -- less than 2 weeks after the 4th of July -- was "spooked by fireworks" into pulling his gun and blasting away? Huh Dodgy

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
19-07-2017, 03:22 PM
(19-07-2017 09:17 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  People think cops have much more training and ability with weapons than they really do.

I don't know if they think that, so much, anymore.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
19-07-2017, 03:29 PM
(18-07-2017 10:19 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(18-07-2017 09:16 AM)tomilay Wrote:  It's better if nobody dies in the course of policing. Still I'd rather a brave officer dies in the line of duty than an innocent person dying for the same reason.

That's the most fucked up thing I've ever heard you say.

You must think cops are a sub-species created in a lab, to protect your self-centered ass....

" Hey, it was JUST a cop"...

Angry

I think that's a misreading of what he was saying, which was a paraphrase of the dictum that "it's better for a thousand criminals to be found innocent than for one innocent man to be convicted."

Never mind the fact that when you apply for a job as a police officer, you know you're assuming heightened risk.

Why is it that small-government NRA types shrug when the government kills people? They're largely for the death-penalty, and given the non-response to police killings, don't even seem to mind it carried out in the absence of a conviction. Puzzling.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
19-07-2017, 03:40 PM
(18-07-2017 10:56 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  You think every cunt who gets shot by a cop is "an innocent" because they were shot by a cop. You will NEVER accept that some assholes probably SHOULD get shot....

You do realize that guilt (and as a corollary, innocence) is determined in a court of law, right?

I have no problem with officers who shoot and sometimes kill people when there is a valid fear for their safety or the public's safety. But that doesn't mean that such shootings should default to "the cop felt endangered" without looking at the facts in the case. And the fact is that far too many shootings here in America seem baseless.
[+] 5 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post