Australian Woman Killed By Police in Minnesota

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-07-2017, 10:28 AM
RE: Australian Woman Killed By Police in Minnesota
(20-07-2017 05:10 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(20-07-2017 01:40 PM)morondog Wrote:  I'm also a little bit anti this publishing of his picture too much. His family have to live with the consequences of his action. Again, he's not proven guilty yet, or at least the formalities haven't been finalised. It seems like a minor quibble I guess, but it does grate me.

It's not just his picture. There is stuff out there about a lawsuit, complaints against him, etc. None of that is relevant. Of course, the flip side is that's how non-cops get treated, too. What would be best if all that stuff remained out of the public forum, but it's public information so not much you can do.

And, his partner, near as I can tell, didn't do anything. He was just sitting in the car when his partner seemed to go insane. I guess because there was a shooting he has to be out while they figure it all out, but it seems he really got the short end.

The whole situation is just awful. For everyone. I doubt the shooter was thinking "I'm going to kill someone today". Somehow he panicked and fired. I still think there needs to be criminal ramifications for it, including jail time, but I doubt he's evil or a sociopath. Maybe he is, but the more likely explanation is this was a tragic mistake.

These guys don't seem to be adequately trained for the jobs they have and the situations they can find themselves in. I get sometimes you will shoot and be mistake but there are far, far too many instances where they just seem to start shooting and kill an innocent person for absolutely no valid reason. And, there is almost never any consequences.

Btw, anyone see the story about the cop in Baltimore who's body camera recorded him planting drugs? Whoopsie.

I was so glad to see that Baltimore story. If they were planting evidence they all need to be fired. This guy will cost the city and state a lot of money not just in lawsuits but every case he was involved in will have to be reviewed and I'm sure every defense attorney will want the cases/judgements tossed.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-07-2017, 11:39 AM
(20-07-2017 01:33 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  Body cameras create issues along with resolving them. Do you have them on all the time? If so, what happens with sexual assault victims that want their identity protected? What about confidential informants? What about witnesses in areas with high gang/drug activity who have a very vested interest in anonymity.
All the police here are about to get body cameras as part of a pilot study.
I have yet to hear anything about the information from the cameras being released to the general public. The current plan is that the information will be used for internal review of situations requiring such review.

Of course, if a criminal case arises and the camera data is subpoenaed, it would have to be produced in court -- but the judge has the discretion to redact portions of the data before making it public.

Quote:Officers involved in situations like this are put on paid leave until the investigation shows if the action/shooting was justified. No police union is going to allow unpaid leave until an action is deemed criminal or at the very least beyond the scope of duty/regulations.
It's a tangent, I know, but the issue of what police unions will and won't allow has come up in several discussions of these issues. It has caused me to ponder how the more virulent conservatives seem to be loudly and consistently opposed to labor unions like the teachers' union and the SEIU, and yet are usually strangely silent and uncritical of police unions.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
21-07-2017, 12:53 PM
(21-07-2017 11:39 AM)Dr H Wrote:  
(20-07-2017 01:33 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  Body cameras create issues along with resolving them. Do you have them on all the time? If so, what happens with sexual assault victims that want their identity protected? What about confidential informants? What about witnesses in areas with high gang/drug activity who have a very vested interest in anonymity.
All the police here are about to get body cameras as part of a pilot study.
I have yet to hear anything about the information from the cameras being released to the general public. The current plan is that the information will be used for internal review of situations requiring such review.

Of course, if a criminal case arises and the camera data is subpoenaed, it would have to be produced in court -- but the judge has the discretion to redact portions of the data before making it public.

Quote:Officers involved in situations like this are put on paid leave until the investigation shows if the action/shooting was justified. No police union is going to allow unpaid leave until an action is deemed criminal or at the very least beyond the scope of duty/regulations.
It's a tangent, I know, but the issue of what police unions will and won't allow has come up in several discussions of these issues. It has caused me to ponder how the more virulent conservatives seem to be loudly and consistently opposed to labor unions like the teachers' union and the SEIU, and yet are usually strangely silent and uncritical of police unions.

What will they redact, will some redact and not others? What if they do so poorly? Again, people in certain areas are going to be very concerned. I fully support cameras (body and dashboard) but they need to do this smartly. The defendant gets to view it all and in gang/drug matters that will certainly put a chill on coming forward.

That is a beautiful tangent. I have never heard them say a cross or critical word when it comes to police unions. Drinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
21-07-2017, 01:18 PM
(20-07-2017 01:33 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  Body cameras create issues along with resolving them.

Nope. Their sole purpose is to ensure that LEOs treat any suspects exactly within the law, and as a record of evidence that may later be used in a court of law.

Quote:Do you have them on all the time?

No. As I've already posted above: only when involving "any contact involving criminal activity" and "before the use of force".

Quote:If so, what happens with sexual assault victims that want their identity protected? What about confidential informants? What about witnesses in areas with high gang/drug activity who have a very vested interest in anonymity.

Any visuals that may adversely affect innocent victims or disclose their identities, such as informants, or protected witnesses will not be released by police. This is common procedure.

Quote:I'm sure there are other instances where they may hurt more than help.
Citation please.

Quote:No police union is going to allow unpaid leave until an action is deemed criminal or at the very least beyond the scope of duty/regulations.

Does this mean that the police union automatically believes that officer Noor's actions were legal—until proved otherwise? Why does the police union hold sway over which officers get paid when on leave and who doesn't, and for what specific causes? Will Noor pay back his wages "earned" on leave if it's proved he acted illegally, and is subsequently charged with an offence?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
21-07-2017, 01:29 PM
(20-07-2017 05:10 PM)BnW Wrote:  It's not just his picture. There is stuff out there about a lawsuit, complaints against him, etc. None of that is relevant...

I'd have to disagree. I think that four procedural complaints about a single officer in the space of 21 months—especially a rookie—is a cause for concern, and his three priors make this current scenario even more relevant. Noor is obviously not cut out for the job, and until he faces court and is either found guilty (as he should be) or exonerated, he should rightfully be remanded in custody just as any civilian killer would be.

[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
21-07-2017, 01:45 PM
(21-07-2017 01:29 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(20-07-2017 05:10 PM)BnW Wrote:  It's not just his picture. There is stuff out there about a lawsuit, complaints against him, etc. None of that is relevant...

I'd have to disagree. I think that four procedural complaints about a single officer in the space of 21 months—especially a rookie—is a cause for concern, and his three priors make this current scenario even more relevant. Noor is obviously not cut out for the job, and until he faces court and is either found guilty (as he should be) or exonerated, he should rightfully be remanded in custody just as any civilian killer would be.
Noor looks extremely gormless I'm surprised he got a foot in the door at all, I mean what were they thinking. Shocking
21-07-2017, 02:46 PM

And the racist fuckwittery has started. Interesting how it's couched. Rather than seeing this as a problem with the police the response is to allege that this is an affirmative action problem and a problem with the individual, and with the Muslim community.

Dodgy I despise this shit Angry

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
24-07-2017, 07:07 PM
(21-07-2017 12:53 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  
(21-07-2017 11:39 AM)Dr H Wrote:  All the police here are about to get body cameras as part of a pilot study.

What will they redact,
That would, of course, be up to the judge.

Quote:will some redact and not others?
Probably. Quite likely, in fact.

Quote:What if they do so poorly?
What happens if a judge performs their function poorly now?

Quote:Again, people in certain areas are going to be very concerned.
Of course.
But we're already living in a 1984 surveillance state, and I don't see it going away. Might as well put the surveillance where it at least has a chance of doing more good that it does recording my parking in the supermarket parking lot when I go to buy tortillas.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
24-07-2017, 10:15 PM
I've been growing my hair out, but it's getting a little split-endy, so I'm in for a haircut next week.
25-07-2017, 03:11 AM
[Image: 1500972409040.jpg]

Minneapolis and its twin city of St Paul have been shaken by multiple police shootings and "overuse of force". The American Civil Liberties Union of Minnesota has demanded the entire police department undergo new use of force and de-escalation training...

Meanwhile, official-looking metal signs have been anonymously erected around Minneapolis, stating: "Warning: Twin Cities police easily startled"

Big Grin

[+] 8 users Like SYZ's post