Australian Woman Killed By Police in Minnesota

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2017, 06:26 PM
RE: Australian Woman Killed By Police in Minnesota
(17-07-2017 06:23 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 03:51 PM)morondog Wrote:  I'm gonna go ahead an assume though, that the defence will be something like:

"We were in our cop car minding our own business when this crazy woman came running up to us brandishing what I thought was a weapon" and so forth. Given that it's their word, and that they're cops on duty and there were no other witnesses (they hope), they might get away with this? It's less open and shut than the Philando Castille case. ETA: the cameras being turned off is circumstantial evidence, but probably not enough by itself to convict?

Also the defense could be the cultural one.

I mean, they come over here, they don't understand our ways and make no attempt to assimilate; they can't even speak our language but they expect us to accommodate their views and traditions.

Maybe where come from they think they just walk up to a Soggy policeman and have a polite conversation but that's just not the way it's done around here.

I say we build a wall between USA and Australia!

Blink

Gasp Makes as much sense as our current administration does. You getting infected, son?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-07-2017, 06:29 PM
(17-07-2017 06:23 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 03:51 PM)morondog Wrote:  I'm gonna go ahead an assume though, that the defence will be something like:

"We were in our cop car minding our own business when this crazy woman came running up to us brandishing what I thought was a weapon" and so forth. Given that it's their word, and that they're cops on duty and there were no other witnesses (they hope), they might get away with this? It's less open and shut than the Philando Castille case. ETA: the cameras being turned off is circumstantial evidence, but probably not enough by itself to convict?

Also the defense could be the cultural one.

I mean, they come over here, they don't understand our ways and make no attempt to assimilate; they can't even speak our language but they expect us to accommodate their views and traditions.

Maybe where come from they think they just walk up to a Soggy policeman and have a polite conversation but that's just not the way it's done around here.

I say we build a wall between USA and Australia!

Blink

No Australia is OVERSEAS! We need to fill in the oceans so we can all be as one!
17-07-2017, 06:43 PM
Two possibilities -

a) the cop in the passenger seat is a murdering psycopath who has no business being within 100 yards of a gun let alone being on a police force, (additionally, he shot from the passenger seat past his partner through the driver's window endangering his partner), and deserves life in prison

b) the cop saw that there was no threat, and before holstering his weapon, accidentally misfired it

What do you think is more plausible?

With all the cops being shot of late while sitting in their patrol cars, it's no surprise that cops get a bit nervous and jittery in these situations. They are sitting ducks.

And, what were the particulars? Here are some things to consider. Was she approaching perpendicular to the driver's side, or was she approaching from the rear? Was she walking towards them or running? What was the lighting like? As to the body cams being turned off - what is the department policy? Are they to be activated once they step out of the patrol car? Should they be on for the entire shift, even while inside the vehicle? There are many other questions to consider.

Inquiring minds want to know. Fucktards default to the"Cops are bad!" meme, without giving it another thought.
17-07-2017, 06:45 PM
(17-07-2017 03:28 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 03:07 PM)epronovost Wrote:  If those cops are found guilty of manslaugther, I would bet the Afro-American community will be both very angry and glad. Glad because for once, cops were held accountable for shooting unarmed citizens, very pist because it took a white women dying for a jury to finally do it instead of those who have been most often victim of such incompetence and reclaiming changes for decades.

The fact that she's Australian might also make it harder for it to be ignored. Cops need to be held accountable. They've picked up a reputation for this brutality, a few convictions for this kind of thing would go a long way to restoring confidence in them.

The fact that she's Australian elevates it to an international stage. I'm guessing there won't be any Blue Justice™ here.
17-07-2017, 06:47 PM
Quote:With all the cops being shot of late while sitting in their patrol cars, it's no surprise that cops get a bit nervous and jittery in these situations. They are sitting ducks.

How many cops have been shot like this?
17-07-2017, 07:02 PM
(17-07-2017 06:43 PM)TheBear Wrote:  Inquiring minds want to know. Fucktards default to the"Cops are bad!" meme, without giving it another thought.

That's awfully simplistic, as are your 2 scenarios. I don't think anyone believes this cop is just a murderous thug. I doubt they intended to kill an innocent, unarmed woman. But, that's not good enough. The fact is they did exactly that.

The use of force is a serious thing and there are rules for when it's justified. These cops need to justify why they opened fire. And if they don't have a valid defense, they should be indicated.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 7 users Like BnW's post
17-07-2017, 07:07 PM
(17-07-2017 06:47 PM)ImFred Wrote:  
Quote:With all the cops being shot of late while sitting in their patrol cars, it's no surprise that cops get a bit nervous and jittery in these situations. They are sitting ducks.

How many cops have been shot like this?

I don't know the exact numbers. According to USA Today, ambush style murders of police officers were up 167% in 2016. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati.../93155124/ Recently, a female officer was ambushed in New York.

You don't think these events factor into a cop's mindset? Maybe raise the nervousness a bit?
17-07-2017, 07:09 PM (This post was last modified: 17-07-2017 07:13 PM by TheBear.)
(17-07-2017 07:02 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 06:43 PM)TheBear Wrote:  Inquiring minds want to know. Fucktards default to the"Cops are bad!" meme, without giving it another thought.

That's awfully simplistic, as are your 2 scenarios. I don't think anyone believes this cop is just a murderous thug. I doubt they intended to kill an innocent, unarmed woman. But, that's not good enough. The fact is they did exactly that.

The use of force is a serious thing and there are rules for when it's justified. These cops need to justify why they opened fire. And if they don't have a valid defense, they should be indicated.

Did you consider any of the questions I raised? Quite the opposite of simplistic, it explores details and nuances.
17-07-2017, 07:18 PM
Quote:In all, there have now been 40 officers shot and killed in ambushes since 2014, said Steve Groeninger, spokesperson for the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund, which tracks police fatalities.

There's over a million cops in the United States. I'm sure they're far more likely to die from heart disease. Maybe they should start shooting donuts.
[+] 2 users Like I'mFred's post
17-07-2017, 07:23 PM
(17-07-2017 07:07 PM)TheBear Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 06:47 PM)ImFred Wrote:  How many cops have been shot like this?

I don't know the exact numbers. According to USA Today, ambush style murders of police officers were up 167% in 2016. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati.../93155124/ Recently, a female officer was ambushed in New York.

You don't think these events factor into a cop's mindset? Maybe raise the nervousness a bit?

As far as I understand those numbers are down (so far) this year. One of my "blue lives matter" friends who posts every time a cop anywhere stubs a toe, has said as much.

That aside...
I also know more than a few cops that feel juries do the public a huge disservice when they let shitty cops off the hook.

But they also admit that people on those same juries are also often intimidated. Fearful that if they do need to call 911...

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post