Australian Woman Killed By Police in Minnesota

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-07-2017, 03:28 AM (This post was last modified: 28-07-2017 03:50 AM by adey67.)
RE: Australian Woman Killed By Police in Minnesota
(27-07-2017 06:16 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(26-07-2017 03:20 PM)adey67 Wrote:  I'm not sure you are fully aware of how tight the gun laws in Britain are, expense is probably comparable, maybe slightly less than driving lessons and test but when I say hassle I mean really really really fucking difficult. Your comparison with a driving licence is fatuous and ignorant to say the least the two are in no way comparable, I'm not sure where you hail from fella but I'd be willing to bet its not the UK, no one from here would say something quite as silly. Epic ignorance. Facepalm

You are correct, I am not from the UK; I am in the US.
And considering that this thread began with an incident in Minnesota, referencing US laws in the discussion would seem to be rather closer to the original topic than what the gun laws may or may not be in the UK.

Regardless, there is hassle and expense involved with getting both a driver's license and a concealed carry permit here, as well. (I assume that driver's licenses are still required in the UK, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)

The point being that some things which require a great deal of personal responsibility and caution tend to get regulated. You can either deal with that fact, or bitch about it -- or both, I suppose. But for some reason people seem to bitch a whole lot less about the regulation placed on their driving privileges than they do about those placed on their gun ownership privileges.

If you find observation of hypocrisy "fatuous", so be it; I beg to differ. Dodgy

Topics frequently diverge or get a little derailed here but point taken in that regard. However
If you took the time to read my posts a little more carefully you would see that all I am bitching about is the incredibly low power of air rifles in Britain before the need for a FAC. I was arguing for a modest increase in power so that its actually possible to humanely shoot rabbits from a little bit more than 20 ft, with out the need to jump through hoops to get a FAC. I made no mention of full power cartridge based firearms whatsoever and I am indeed glad those are regulated. My smallholding was small only 5 acres bordering by a road a slightly more powerful air rifle would have enabled me to keep down vermin humanely but actually more safely than a cartridge.22 rifle.
I didn't see any hypocrisy because there wasn't any in that regard. Otherwise I do concede that your points regarding gun ownership and driving do indeed hold if one is talking about firearms of sufficient destructive power, it would appear to me that perhaps we have at least in part been talking crossed purpose.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-07-2017, 04:20 PM
(28-07-2017 03:28 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Topics frequently diverge or get a little derailed here but point taken in that regard. However
If you took the time to read my posts a little more carefully you would see that all I am bitching about is the incredibly low power of air rifles in Britain before the need for a FAC. I was arguing for a modest increase in power so that its actually possible to humanely shoot rabbits from a little bit more than 20 ft, with out the need to jump through hoops to get a FAC. I made no mention of full power cartridge based firearms whatsoever and I am indeed glad those are regulated. My smallholding was small only 5 acres bordering by a road a slightly more powerful air rifle would have enabled me to keep down vermin humanely but actually more safely than a cartridge.22 rifle.
Yes, I see that point, and I agree with it.

Quote:I didn't see any hypocrisy because there wasn't any in that regard. Otherwise I do concede that your points regarding gun ownership and driving do indeed hold if one is talking about firearms of sufficient destructive power, it would appear to me that perhaps we have at least in part been talking crossed purpose.
Looks like. Apologies offered; I kinda derailed your derailment. Blush

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
28-07-2017, 04:25 PM
(28-07-2017 04:20 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(28-07-2017 03:28 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Topics frequently diverge or get a little derailed here but point taken in that regard. However
Yes, I see that point, and I agree with it.

Quote:I didn't see any hypocrisy because there wasn't any in that regard. Otherwise I do concede that your points regarding gun ownership and driving do indeed hold if one is talking about firearms of sufficient destructive power, it would appear to me that perhaps we have at least in part been talking crossed purpose.

I also apologise to you for being less than gracious.
01-08-2017, 01:30 PM
(28-07-2017 04:25 PM)adey67 Wrote:  
(28-07-2017 04:20 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Yes, I see that point, and I agree with it.

I also apologise to you for being less than gracious.

No es nada. We're good. Wink

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."