Australian Woman Killed By Police in Minnesota

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2017, 07:40 PM
RE: Australian Woman Killed By Police in Minnesota
(17-07-2017 07:23 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 07:07 PM)TheBear Wrote:  I don't know the exact numbers. According to USA Today, ambush style murders of police officers were up 167% in 2016. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati.../93155124/ Recently, a female officer was ambushed in New York.

You don't think these events factor into a cop's mindset? Maybe raise the nervousness a bit?

As far as I understand those numbers are down (so far) this year. One of my "blue lives matter" friends who posts every time a cop anywhere stubs a toe, has said as much.

That aside...
I also know more than a few cops that feel juries do the public a huge disservice when they let shitty cops off the hook.

But they also admit that people on those same juries are also often intimidated. Fearful that if they do need to call 911...

The numbers may be down this year so far. I don't know. Maybe they are. My point was that the fact that they do occur, and especially in the light of an NYPD cop being ambushed and making headlines recently, might cause some cops to be a bit more apprehensive and nervous. I honestly don't get why people can't wrap their heads around that concept. Huh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-07-2017, 07:54 PM
There's home invasions at least weekly in my town. The chances of someone kicking my door in is small but much higher than a cop getting ambushed. I still don't go around shooting people walking around my apartment. In fact, I don't even worry about it. I also swim in the ocean. Walk in thunderstorms. Drive on the freeway. All perfectly relaxed. And I'm not even trained to face these horrendous dangers.
[+] 3 users Like I'mFred's post
17-07-2017, 08:19 PM
(17-07-2017 07:54 PM)ImFred Wrote:  There's home invasions at least weekly in my town. The chances of someone kicking my door in is small but much higher than a cop getting ambushed. I still don't go around shooting people walking around my apartment. In fact, I don't even worry about it. I also swim in the ocean. Walk in thunderstorms. Drive on the freeway. All perfectly relaxed. And I'm not even trained to face these horrendous dangers.

The difference is - you're sitting at home in a relaxed environment, while cops are in a completely different environment and mindset when on duty. I'm sure cops enjoy the same level of ease and relaxation as you, when they're off duty, at home, drinking a beer.
17-07-2017, 08:21 PM
(17-07-2017 07:09 PM)TheBear Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 07:02 PM)BnW Wrote:  That's awfully simplistic, as are your 2 scenarios. I don't think anyone believes this cop is just a murderous thug. I doubt they intended to kill an innocent, unarmed woman. But, that's not good enough. The fact is they did exactly that.

The use of force is a serious thing and there are rules for when it's justified. These cops need to justify why they opened fire. And if they don't have a valid defense, they should be indicated.

Did you consider any of the questions I raised? Quite the opposite of simplistic, it explores details and nuances.

Yes. I think they are a load of crap. The idea that approaching a police car in bad lighting means they can shoot you is too ridiculous to warrant a response. The cops need to provide the justification for shooting, period. "She scared me" doesn't fucking cut it.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 6 users Like BnW's post
17-07-2017, 08:26 PM
(17-07-2017 06:23 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 03:51 PM)morondog Wrote:  I'm gonna go ahead an assume though, that the defence will be something like:

"We were in our cop car minding our own business when this crazy woman came running up to us brandishing what I thought was a weapon" and so forth. Given that it's their word, and that they're cops on duty and there were no other witnesses (they hope), they might get away with this? It's less open and shut than the Philando Castille case. ETA: the cameras being turned off is circumstantial evidence, but probably not enough by itself to convict?

Also the defense could be the cultural one.

I mean, they come over here, they don't understand our ways and make no attempt to assimilate; they can't even speak our language but they expect us to accommodate their views and traditions.

Maybe where come from they think they just walk up to a Soggy policeman and have a polite conversation but that's just not the way it's done around here.

I say we build a wall between USA and Australia!

Blink

I think a wall around Minneapolis would make the world safer.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
17-07-2017, 08:32 PM
(17-07-2017 08:21 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 07:09 PM)TheBear Wrote:  Did you consider any of the questions I raised? Quite the opposite of simplistic, it explores details and nuances.

Yes. I think they are a load of crap. The idea that approaching a police car in bad lighting means they can shoot you is too ridiculous to warrant a response. The cops need to provide the justification for shooting, period. "She scared me" doesn't fucking cut it.

So to you, the only thing that matters is that an unarmed woman got shot by a cop and that's all you need to know. Fuck all the details. No need for further questions, as they are a waste of time and a load of shit. Let's just get rid of the concept of innocent until proven guilty, and replace it with mob rule.
17-07-2017, 08:38 PM
Uh it was the Australian woman that didn't get a trial, chief
[+] 6 users Like I'mFred's post
17-07-2017, 08:40 PM
At work.

Mr TheBear.

As an Aussie, why the fuck should I consider coming to your country and risk getting shot, killed and effectively murdered by the very people who should be protecting me?

Consider
[+] 2 users Like Peebothuhul's post
17-07-2017, 08:49 PM
(17-07-2017 08:38 PM)ImFred Wrote:  Uh it was the Australian woman that didn't get a trial, chief

It is saddening and tragic that she got killed. No one is questioning that, honcho.
17-07-2017, 08:53 PM
(17-07-2017 08:40 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  At work.

Mr TheBear.

As an Aussie, why the fuck should I consider coming to your country and risk getting shot, killed and effectively murdered by the very people who should be protecting me?

Consider

America has gone completely off the deep end. I think all of you should boycott us until we get our shit together. Try to remember it's not all of us and be forgiving if we ever get past this mass insanity we've been struck with. No joke. We need help. We need Europe and you guys down there to get on the Trump resistance train. It may seem like we're thumping our chest but we're fucking exhausted. It's like living on a train wreck. This whole place is out of control.
[+] 3 users Like I'mFred's post