Australian Woman Killed By Police in Minnesota

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2017, 10:11 PM
RE: Australian Woman Killed By Police in Minnesota
(17-07-2017 09:48 PM)TheBear Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 09:30 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I don't care. Police are supposed to be trained. They're supposed to be calm under pressure.

They're not supposed to be paranoid and think everyone's is out to kill them. Because the vast majority do make it home.

Try harder to make excuses for something tragic.

I'm not making any excuses or drawing any conclusions. I wasn't there. I really don't know. For all I know, the cop could be guilty as hell for manslaughter. All I'm doing is pulling the pendulum of public opinion in the opposite direction to try to get some sort of balance in the discussion. What I get tired of is the default, ideological conclusions reached by others, who are as much in the dark of the situation as I am. I get tired of ideological groupthink. It reminds me all too well of the indoctrinated religious folks.

It's not "groupthink" to be outraged over what happened.

Is it groupthink also to defend them no matter what? To bring up how many cops are ambushed and how scared they must be...to excuse the fact there are some bad cops who aren't being properly trained.

I wonder...

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
17-07-2017, 10:33 PM
If anything I think this should be a cause for everyone to take a step back and reevaluate what is really going on.

It's good evidence that cops aren't just out to murder black Americans, we can at least put that old tale to rest.

Hope that helped! Big Grin

#allcopsaremurderers #fuckyouifyouthinkimserious

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
17-07-2017, 10:38 PM
(17-07-2017 10:11 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 09:48 PM)TheBear Wrote:  I'm not making any excuses or drawing any conclusions. I wasn't there. I really don't know. For all I know, the cop could be guilty as hell for manslaughter. All I'm doing is pulling the pendulum of public opinion in the opposite direction to try to get some sort of balance in the discussion. What I get tired of is the default, ideological conclusions reached by others, who are as much in the dark of the situation as I am. I get tired of ideological groupthink. It reminds me all too well of the indoctrinated religious folks.

It's not "groupthink" to be outraged over what happened.

Is it groupthink also to defend them no matter what? To bring up how many cops are ambushed and how scared they must be...to excuse the fact there are some bad cops who aren't being properly trained.

I wonder...

I don't think anyone here is not outraged and saddened by this tragedy.

Why did you ignore the meat and potatoes of my last post, (the whole - balanced discussion/pendulum/he could be guilty as hell for all I know remarks) and instead decide to focus on peripheral remarks? Nevermind. This, plus your uncalled for swipe at me regarding sarcasm, tell me we are talking past each other and won't accomplish anything but animosity between us, and I really don't want that. So, I'll bow out now, for the sake of community cohesion.
17-07-2017, 10:54 PM
(17-07-2017 10:38 PM)TheBear Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 10:11 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  It's not "groupthink" to be outraged over what happened.

I wonder...

Why did you ignore the meat and potatoes of my last post, (the whole - balanced discussion/pendulum/he could be guilty as hell for all I know remarks) and instead decide to focus on peripheral remarks? Nevermind. This, plus your uncalled for swipe at me regarding sarcasm, tell me we are talking past each other and won't accomplish anything but animosity between us, and I really don't want that. So, I'll bow out now, for the sake of community cohesion.

Look, I think that the underlying fact of the matter is that another person, doesn't matter who or where they are from, is dead because of police. Police who are sworn to do exactly the opposite of what they actually do, and it's not suppose to be that way. (I'm of course in this instance discounting the plethora of police who are capable and do serve us as they should, some above and beyond the call of duty)

What we need to do I as a society is to figure out why that is happening. I don't place the blame directly on the cop, but you certainly cannot place any blame on the victim. Cops are supposed to be trained to prevent this kind of situation from happening. If you are a cop and you think even for a moment that you won't be able to handle a situation like this, then get the fuck off of the street.

People's lives are at risk, including your own.

I don't think there's a clear answer, I don't think America has a good grip on what the fuck is going on right now, or a grip on what has happened over the past couple hundred years for that matter.

But we need to start getting our shit together.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
18-07-2017, 12:20 AM
TheBear, did *anyone* call for the cops to be convicted without trial? You're going strong with a strawman. Fucktard.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
18-07-2017, 01:26 AM
This is horrible.

And why the fuck do cops get a paid fucking vacation every fucking time they murder someone? Ugh.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
18-07-2017, 01:31 AM
(17-07-2017 10:38 PM)TheBear Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 10:11 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  It's not "groupthink" to be outraged over what happened.

I wonder...

I mean... if their body cameras were on, or the camera IN their car on we'd have some evidence to go on that might warrant some acknowledgement of an extenuating circumstance. However that shit which should have been on was off. Given my experience with cops I've known I'd be inclined to think they were fucking high at the time of the shooting, hence the cameras were off to hide their own crimes. Doesn't matter they are cops, meaning they'll get a paid vacation, we won't get answers and they'll be put back on the streets to murder someone else. And until they hold themselves to a higher standard this is going to be my default view of cops when there's no evidence to suggest the potential for good. I do not think most cops are "good" with a few "bad" apples. Why? Because none of them cross that thin blue line to do what is right if it means calling out the corruption within their ranks. So no, there are no good cops.

Edit, and @ what mordant said, we all know this will never go to trial. They'll go on "paid administrative leave" then return to work in a few weeks after someone says no policy was violated. So our opinions don't mean shit, we're just the peanut gallery. I know you were directing your comment at bear and I think you already know this, so really this is more of a comment about what you said that's more directed at bear on this one. if that makes sense

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
18-07-2017, 02:52 AM
(18-07-2017 01:31 AM)JesseB Wrote:  we all know this will never go to trial. They'll go on "paid administrative leave" then return to work in a few weeks after someone says no policy was violated.

No, it will. The Aussies won't let it slide. The so-innocent cops will get their day in court. And the judgement will be scrutinised as well. Same as the Philando Castille case, and if the guy from that case walked these guys will probably walk as well. There's less evidence to go on, even if it seems certain that it was blatant murder.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
18-07-2017, 05:38 AM
(17-07-2017 08:32 PM)TheBear Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 08:21 PM)BnW Wrote:  Yes. I think they are a load of crap. The idea that approaching a police car in bad lighting means they can shoot you is too ridiculous to warrant a response. The cops need to provide the justification for shooting, period. "She scared me" doesn't fucking cut it.

So to you, the only thing that matters is that an unarmed woman got shot by a cop and that's all you need to know. Fuck all the details. No need for further questions, as they are a waste of time and a load of shit. Let's just get rid of the concept of innocent until proven guilty, and replace it with mob rule.

Are you on drugs? Seriously, do you take medication because you need to up your meds. You bounce from one extreme to the other and are incapable of grasping details and nuances. But, at least you turned the fucking caps lock off for a change.

Anyway, I didn't say anything close to that. I said not meeting the requirements for the use of force should result in an indictment. That's about as opposite of "mob rule" as you get. If they want to present the "scared of the dark" defense at trial, more power to them.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 4 users Like BnW's post
18-07-2017, 06:15 AM
Dunno.. I wasn't there.

It does stretch one' s imagination to try to envision what possible scenario an officer could face to justify the shooting of someone in PJ's, that called for help....

I'll bet a jury is going to be tough to convince to the LEO's version.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.