Australian Writer Blames Atheism For ISIS Convert

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-03-2015, 09:56 AM
RE: Australian Writer Blames Atheism For ISIS Convert
(18-03-2015 02:07 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Wtf, why not blame atheists for global warming

*cough*

It took me 2 search strings to find this guy on the front page of search results. Maybe a minute total.

I'm trying to decide whether this is a triumph for search technology or a failure for humanity.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-03-2015, 10:09 AM
(19-03-2015 09:56 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(18-03-2015 02:07 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Wtf, why not blame atheists for global warming

*cough*

It took me 2 search strings to find this guy on the front page of search results. Maybe a minute total.

I'm trying to decide whether this is a triumph for search technology or a failure for humanity.

[Image: a32c608af64ab319962bda9f20bd6eb52f8d5ee7...537bb3.jpg]

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 3 users Like JDog554's post
19-03-2015, 12:36 PM (This post was last modified: 19-03-2015 12:42 PM by Tomasia.)
(19-03-2015 06:46 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(19-03-2015 05:54 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I think there's a difference between blaming atheists and blaming atheism.

Depends on the context really. In this case no, she blames Atheism but she also blames Atheists for their beliefs.

I don't see her blaming atheists at all. The only time she even mentions any actual atheists, is when she highlights some of the angry comments she's received in regards to her views.

She seems to pin the problem on "inevitable trajectory of the West’s cultural nihilism”. No particular atheists get mentioned, no mention of Dawkins, Harris, "New Atheists", or any of the like. And she seems to see the problem as one that underlies western culture as a whole, a sort of vacuum of emptiness.
19-03-2015, 12:55 PM
(19-03-2015 12:36 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(19-03-2015 06:46 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Depends on the context really. In this case no, she blames Atheism but she also blames Atheists for their beliefs.

I don't see her blaming atheists at all. The only time she even mentions any actual atheists, is when she highlights some of the angry comments she's received in regards to her views.

She seems to pin the problem on "inevitable trajectory of the West’s cultural nihilism”. No particular atheists get mentioned, no mention of Dawkins, Harris, "New Atheists", or any of the like. And she seems to see the problem as one the underlies western culture as a whole, a sort of vacuum of emptiness.

But who is spreading that nihilism? Who "taught him to believe in nothing". While she may not directly blame Atheist, it's pretty clear to see she is adding Atheists to the blame because we are the cause of this nihilism that supposedly cause him to join ISIS. Like Al-Qaeda. They say they hate America for their involvement in middle-east wars but they also imply they hate Americans which is why they killed Americans.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
19-03-2015, 03:03 PM
(19-03-2015 12:55 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  But who is spreading that nihilism? Who "taught him to believe in nothing".

People don't teach others to believe in nothing, they believe in nothing exactly because they are not taught. Or exactly because of the inability to teach something rather than nothing.

Nihilism may be atheistic at it's core, but it's just a part of our zeitgeist, it's not dependent on actual unbelievers, or even negated by so called believers. It swallows both dewey-eyed atheism, and theism whole. It's the inevitable conclusion of a life full of sound and fury signifying nothing.
19-03-2015, 03:12 PM
(19-03-2015 06:46 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(19-03-2015 05:54 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I think there's a difference between blaming atheists and blaming atheism.

Depends on the context really. In this case no, she blames Atheism but she also blames Atheists for their beliefs.

We have beliefs? I thought what defined us was our lack of belief in just one thing?

Yep, we have beliefs in other fields. I believe I'm going to see a partial eclipse tomorrow morning (weather: probably cloudy - bugger). I believe Chelsea will win the EPL this year.

But that other stuff?
19-03-2015, 03:37 PM
Here's a quote from the Devine article...

"Bilardi was taught to believe in nothing..." I kid you not. Not even something like "Don't steal. Don't cheat. Do unto others..."??

Nothing.

I used to wonder if sometimes journalists just make shit up. I was pretty sure they did. The Leveson enquiry (UK inquiry into nefarious newspaper practices) confirmed what I was already sure of, with a couple of journalists just making shit up, particularly anti-Muslim shit. (UKers : remember the Muslim-only toilets story? Again, i kid you not. One newspaper came up with this as a front page "story")

Nothing much has changed in the UK following Leveson (thank you, David Cameron - arsehole) and, of course, this is an Aussie paper, so that doesn't count.

I think "jounalists" think "I have to write 1500 words to get my paycheck. What shall I write about? Em, Obama hasn't said a word in years about Patagonia. So, I'll go with 'Obama about to send drones to Patagonia'"
[+] 1 user Likes jockmcdock's post
19-03-2015, 10:58 PM
(19-03-2015 03:03 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(19-03-2015 12:55 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  But who is spreading that nihilism? Who "taught him to believe in nothing".

People don't teach others to believe in nothing, they believe in nothing exactly because they are not taught. Or exactly because of the inability to teach something rather than nothing.

Nihilism may be atheistic at it's core, but it's just a part of our zeitgeist, it's not dependent on actual unbelievers, or even negated by so called believers. It swallows both dewey-eyed atheism, and theism whole. It's the inevitable conclusion of a life full of sound and fury signifying nothing.

Someone can teach a religious person to view the world in a non religious way and help them get rid of the belief of a God therefor turning them atheist. If atheism didn't spread, more than likely religion would spread easier and there would't be much atheism left except during the early years of a child's life but the more we spread it the more we help fight back religion.

(19-03-2015 03:12 PM)jockmcdock Wrote:  
(19-03-2015 06:46 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Depends on the context really. In this case no, she blames Atheism but she also blames Atheists for their beliefs.

We have beliefs? I thought what defined us was our lack of belief in just one thing?

Yep, we have beliefs in other fields. I believe I'm going to see a partial eclipse tomorrow morning (weather: probably cloudy - bugger). I believe Chelsea will win the EPL this year.

But that other stuff?

Sorry, I should have used a better word like "Worldview".