Austria implements "burqa ban"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2017, 12:18 PM
Austria implements "burqa ban"
Good for them. Us Brits need to stop pussy footing around Islam. I don't think religious exceptions should be made to laws like this.

One of the concerns is that (some) Muslim men won't allow their women outside the house because of this ruling, but that's clearly imprisonment and needs dealing with as a separate issue.

Quote:Muslim women in Austria were forced by police to remove their facial coverings on Sunday, as an anti-burqa law came into effect.

The so-called 'burqa ban' prohibits facial coverings including niqabs and burqas, and also places restrictions on surgical masks, ski masks and clown make-up worn in public.

Yesterday, a woman wearing a niqab facial veil, which only leaves the eyes uncovered, was seen being told to remove her veil by two police officers in Zell am See, a city south of Saltzburg.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/...mes-force/

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
03-10-2017, 12:31 PM
RE: Austria implements "burqa ban"
(03-10-2017 12:18 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  Good for them. Us Brits need to stop pussy footing around Islam. I don't think religious exceptions should be made to laws like this.

One of the concerns is that (some) Muslim men won't allow their women outside the house because of this ruling, but that's clearly imprisonment and needs dealing with as a separate issue.

Quote:Muslim women in Austria were forced by police to remove their facial coverings on Sunday, as an anti-burqa law came into effect.

The so-called 'burqa ban' prohibits facial coverings including niqabs and burqas, and also places restrictions on surgical masks, ski masks and clown make-up worn in public.

Yesterday, a woman wearing a niqab facial veil, which only leaves the eyes uncovered, was seen being told to remove her veil by two police officers in Zell am See, a city south of Saltzburg.

I'm not sure if I approve as I don't think gov should be regulating what people wear. On the other hand I'm aware that wearing burqa may not exactly be a choice so some action to free women may be needed.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
03-10-2017, 12:46 PM
(03-10-2017 12:31 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(03-10-2017 12:18 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  Good for them. Us Brits need to stop pussy footing around Islam. I don't think religious exceptions should be made to laws like this.

I'm not sure if I approve as I don't think gov should be regulating what people wear. On the other hand I'm aware that wearing burqa may not exactly be a choice so some action to free women may be needed.

You don't free women; they free themselves. Telling a women who is wearring a burqa or a niqab to remove her face veil will in no way make her free. The prison bars are in her mind, not her face.

I am in favor of burqa or niqab ban in public spaces as I think its profoundly anti-social to conceal your identity at all time, but I am keenly aware that this will not change the real level of power, respect and authority of those women.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 11 users Like epronovost's post
03-10-2017, 01:10 PM
(03-10-2017 12:46 PM)epronovost Wrote:  
(03-10-2017 12:31 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I'm not sure if I approve as I don't think gov should be regulating what people wear. On the other hand I'm aware that wearing burqa may not exactly be a choice so some action to free women may be needed.

You don't free women; they free themselves. Telling a women who is wearring a burqa or a niqab to remove her face veil will in no way make her free. The prison bars are in her mind, not her face.

I am in favor of burqa or niqab ban in public spaces as I think its profoundly anti-social to conceal your identity at all time, but I am keenly aware that this will not change the real level of power, respect and authority of those women.

Or, now that they are trying life with a face, they might like it...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
03-10-2017, 01:26 PM
(03-10-2017 12:46 PM)epronovost Wrote:  I am in favor of burqa or niqab ban in public spaces as I think its profoundly anti-social to conceal your identity at all time, but I am keenly aware that this will not change the real level of power, respect and authority of those women.

I agree totally. The human face is our prime means of recognition for all sorts of purposes, both socially and legally. I'm also particularly concerned that here in Australia, schools run by the state have been forced by Muslim parents to allow their little girls to wear the hijab to school, even while playing sports.

I can only see this as deliberately divisive in a secular society such as we enjoy here, and potentially confronting and/or confusing for their fellow students.

Additionally, some public-funded swimming pools, and public gymnasiums have been forced to provide—at taxpayer/owner expense—screen walls in order that Muslim women can remove their religious rags out of the sight of men, in order to swim or exercise freely.

[Image: bottom.jpg]
Three pupils at an Australian Primary school

As far as I'm concerned, as an older Australian, if you decide to leave your country of origin seeking a better lifestyle, then you owe it to the society you move into to respect its societal values. Muslim migrants in Australia are notorious for making all sorts of demands for exemptions from, and exceptions to, our laws and social standards of acceptable behaviour—due purely to their religion.

Even in our courts of law, Muslim zealots are now demanding to make their evidential oaths of truth on the Quran, rather than the Bible, or simply an affirmation as atheists do.

What next? A Quran next to the Gideon's bible in every motel room FFS.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
03-10-2017, 01:27 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2017 01:34 PM by Robvalue.)
(03-10-2017 12:31 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  

I believe it's about security risks, as they are hiding their identity.

They are only required to reveal their faces, not to remove the rest of the burqa.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
03-10-2017, 01:32 PM
(03-10-2017 12:46 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Telling a women who is wearring a burqa or a niqab to remove her face veil will in no way make her free.
Perhaps there should also be a ban on women wearing make-up. It is almost a mask. Perhaps we should create freedom for women by outlawing them wearing make-up.

Also maybe outlaw the bikini. It makes women into sex objects, stops people seeing them as people but just as fuck toys. If we outlaw bikinis we are creating freedom for the women to become people and not just sex objects. We create freedom for women by creating laws telling women what they can and can't do with their bodies, especially regarding clothes and things on their faces.

I'm not sure about earrings and studs and stuff, maybe that should also be illegal, can create freedom for a woman by stopping them wearing things on their faces!
[+] 5 users Like Stevil's post
03-10-2017, 01:33 PM
(03-10-2017 01:27 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  
(03-10-2017 12:31 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I'm not sure if I approve as I don't think gov should be regulating what people wear. On the other hand I'm aware that wearing burqa may not exactly be a choice so some action to free women may be needed.

It's about security risks, they are hiding their identity. It would apply to anyone concealing their face, it's just that religion (or rather Islam) has been getting a free pass.

Security risks are such handy words under which guise gov can push any law. If these words are used in bill then I must say that it begin to stink.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
03-10-2017, 01:43 PM
(03-10-2017 01:26 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Additionally, some public-funded swimming pools, and public gymnasiums have been forced to provide—at taxpayer/owner expense—screen walls in order that Muslim women can remove their religious rags out of the sight of men, in order to swim or exercise freely.
Oh, I think that's a great idea.

I wonder what your take is on this photo above that you provided. I think that all the kids look appropriate in that photo.

(03-10-2017 01:26 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Even in our courts of law, Muslim zealots are now demanding to make their evidential oaths of truth on the Quran, rather than the Bible, or simply an affirmation as atheists do.
Yes, another good idea. If you are having people make oaths in court on the bible, well it really only makes sense for Christians to do this. Why would you get a Muslim to make an oath on the bible? Might as well make them do an oath on the Lord of the Rings.

(03-10-2017 01:26 PM)SYZ Wrote:  What next? A Quran next to the Gideon's bible in every motel room FFS.
My vote is for no religious texts at all in hotel rooms, but if they are supplying bibles, they might as well supply the Quran, the Torah, the God Delusion, the Vedas, the book of Mormon, you name it.
Why do you have a problem with the Quran over the bible?
[+] 5 users Like Stevil's post
03-10-2017, 01:46 PM
(03-10-2017 01:26 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(03-10-2017 12:46 PM)epronovost Wrote:  I am in favor of burqa or niqab ban in public spaces as I think its profoundly anti-social to conceal your identity at all time, but I am keenly aware that this will not change the real level of power, respect and authority of those women.

I agree totally. The human face is our prime means of recognition for all sorts of purposes, both socially and legally. I'm also particularly concerned that here in Australia, schools run by the state have been forced by Muslim parents to allow their little girls to wear the hijab to school, even while playing sports.

I can only see this as deliberately divisive in a secular society such as we enjoy here, and potentially confronting and/or confusing for their fellow students.

Additionally, some public-funded swimming pools, and public gymnasiums have been forced to provide—at taxpayer/owner expense—screen walls in order that Muslim women can remove their religious rags out of the sight of men, in order to swim or exercise freely.

As far as I'm concerned, as an older Australian, if you decide to leave your country of origin seeking a better lifestyle, then you owe it to the society you move into to respect its societal values. Muslim migrants in Australia are notorious for making all sorts of demands for exemptions from, and exceptions to, our laws and social standards of acceptable behaviour—due purely to their religion.

Even in our courts of law, Muslim zealots are now demanding to make their evidential oaths of truth on the Quran, rather than the Bible, or simply an affirmation as atheists do.

What next? A Quran next to the Gideon's bible in every motel room FFS.

You’re against the girl wearing a scarf even though you can see her face?

Is someone forcing YOUR daughter to cover her head?

What do you care if they swear on the Quran or the Bible?

It shouldn’t matter to you in the least.

I feel bad for the women who will be forced to show their faces.

They’ve been so indoctrinated by their belief that many might choose to isolate themselves even more — never mind what their men might tell them.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 6 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post