Austria implements "burqa ban"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-10-2017, 01:32 PM
RE: Austria implements "burqa ban"
Dress codes are present in a lot of places...think simply, no shirt, no shoes, no service.

As a kid I had a little plastic pouch that contained what was basically a doily and two bobby pins as we couldn't enter the Catholic church without head covering.

The only issue I have with a burqa would be the same issues where facial recognition is a safety issue. The same types of places where you can't wear a full face helmet or a mask.

I don't like the idea of the oppression via wearing a burqa any more than I like the Christian sects who won't let women cut their hair and they all wear long denim skirts...I'd still like to know where the denim requirement is in the Bible. I know hair is mentioned but I think the Bible came before Levi Strauss.

I am not comfortable with a government enforced dress code outside of the military.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. -JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
08-10-2017, 01:46 PM
(08-10-2017 11:41 AM)ImFred Wrote:  It's her right to be who she is.

Exactly.

Get your own bleeding hymn book
08-10-2017, 03:45 PM
(08-10-2017 01:32 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I don't like the idea of the oppression via wearing a burqa any more than I like the Christian sects who won't let women cut their hair and they all wear long denim skirts...I'd still like to know where the denim requirement is in the Bible. I know hair is mentioned but I think the Bible came before Levi Strauss.

Might be the lesser known passages about only wearing cloth of one fabric. The uncut hair certainly is. But it's not a woman's requirement but a general one.

Both, incidentally, on the same page as man not lying with man. But hardly mentioned in the same breath, although all is called an abomination in the eyes of god. Cutting your hair, wearing cloths of different fabrics or eating shellfish.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like abaris's post
08-10-2017, 05:28 PM
Being naked in public is frowned upon.

One can't escape dress codes.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
09-10-2017, 02:51 AM
(08-10-2017 09:38 AM)Thedemonbarber Wrote:  How do you expect young Muslims to embrace western culture when being brought up in families who obviously do not want to integrate?
These are the young people who feel disengaged with society, these people should be looking forward to a bright future, not holding on to this outdated nonsense.

So you will liberate them by forcing them to dress as you say. Some freedom.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
09-10-2017, 03:25 AM
(09-10-2017 02:51 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(08-10-2017 09:38 AM)Thedemonbarber Wrote:  How do you expect young Muslims to embrace western culture when being brought up in families who obviously do not want to integrate?
These are the young people who feel disengaged with society, these people should be looking forward to a bright future, not holding on to this outdated nonsense.

So you will liberate them by forcing them to dress as you say. Some freedom.

As far as I know they can wear whatever they like, apart from garments that cover the face, I can wear whatever I like too, apart from garments that cover my face.

I can't walk into a bank with a balaclava on, or a motorcycle helmet, I would be told to remove it immediately, am I having my freedom violated in some way? of course not.
That's not my issue with it, but I'm not repeating the same shit over and over.

09-10-2017, 03:40 AM
(09-10-2017 03:25 AM)Thedemonbarber Wrote:  
(09-10-2017 02:51 AM)morondog Wrote:  So you will liberate them by forcing them to dress as you say. Some freedom.

As far as I know they can wear whatever they like, apart from garments that cover the face, I can wear whatever I like too, apart from garments that cover my face.

I can't walk into a bank with a balaclava on, or a motorcycle helmet, I would be told to remove it immediately, am I having my freedom violated in some way? of course not.

You are talking about restricting a person's rights. I would hope that you'd have a better justification is all, than just your feels and some bullshit appeal to "freedom". I cannot see how you are setting these people free by enforcing some stupid rule about showing one's face. You are welcome to explain, but it's more or less apparent that you can't.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
09-10-2017, 03:54 AM
(09-10-2017 03:40 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(09-10-2017 03:25 AM)Thedemonbarber Wrote:  As far as I know they can wear whatever they like, apart from garments that cover the face, I can wear whatever I like too, apart from garments that cover my face.

You are talking about restricting a person's rights. I would hope that you'd have a better justification is all, than just your feels and some bullshit appeal to "freedom". I cannot see how you are setting these people free by enforcing some stupid rule about showing one's face. You are welcome to explain, but it's more or less apparent that you can't.

Personally, I'm a bit torn.

If you're really for personal freedom, then wear whatever you like. If however a type of dress is being imposed on someone? That where things get weird. We don't stop people from wearing most other religious head gear, but likewise burqas and hijabs are gender specific, more intrusive, and you can also argue that they're cultural tools of oppression. But if we're not going to have the government interfere with indoctrinating children of other faiths, it doesn't have a leg to stand on in regards to singling out Islam. Likewise if you're try to hide behind secular public safety, even then I don't think you can justify a blanket ban. Sure, you might have to remove a balaclava or motorcycle helmet before entering a bank or government building, but you can still wear them out in public.

So I'm for letting them wear that they want, and the government protecting their right to do so (whether they chose to wear it or not, it's their choice). Even if you implement a ban, I don't think you can justify a secular reason that wouldn't be very limited; such as only applying to the full face covering burqa (not the hijab), and even then only in places of business, government, or education where security might be more of a concern (i.e. all of the same places you cannot conceal carry a firearm).

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
09-10-2017, 03:55 AM
(09-10-2017 03:40 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(09-10-2017 03:25 AM)Thedemonbarber Wrote:  As far as I know they can wear whatever they like, apart from garments that cover the face, I can wear whatever I like too, apart from garments that cover my face.

Already explained this...If women are being forced to wear the burqa we should be protecting those women, just as we protect women from domestic violence ( I know a lot of it is not reported) but laws are there in place.

If women 'choose' to wear it then I would question why. Why purposely put up an unnecessary barrier to integration? Why keep this vicious circle going? For the sake of modesty? or something else maybe???

09-10-2017, 04:03 AM
(09-10-2017 03:55 AM)Thedemonbarber Wrote:  Already explained this...If women are being forced to wear the burqa we should be protecting those women, just as we protect women from domestic violence ( I know a lot of it is not reported) but laws are there in place.

But then you are subjugating the ones who choose to wear it willingly, which is kinda the antithesis of what you just said you wanted.

(09-10-2017 03:55 AM)Thedemonbarber Wrote:  If women 'choose' to wear it then I would question why. Why purposely put up an unnecessary barrier to integration? Why keep this vicious circle going? For the sake of modesty? or something else maybe???

Only if you apply that same level of scrutiny to all religions and none. Do you really want police questioning everyone wearing a yamakas about their devotion and beliefs? What about a Yankees hat? How do we know that they aren't just a Yankees fans because their parents were, or they just grew up in New York?

Do you really want the government dictating what is, and is not, acceptable devotion in such a way? If wearing the burqa or hijab is not causing harm to anyone else, same as a yamaka, then on what secular grounds do you have to target them specifically?

I think you can certainly argue in favor of some time and place restriction for full face coverings of all kinds (not just the Muslim ones), but a blanket ban I think is an overreach.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post