Austria implements "burqa ban"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2017, 06:56 AM
RE: Austria implements "burqa ban"
(09-10-2017 06:45 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(09-10-2017 05:48 AM)Thedemonbarber Wrote:  Maybe there was more to it?

Oh, indeed there was. But 'end open borders' was the 'drain the swamp' or 'lock her up' of that vote. Not a good look form the outside, is all I'm sayin'.

I think a lot of people were duped over Brexit, the promises made about mega money being poured into the NHS for example. I think the immigration issue was more about EU citizens to be honest rather than non EU citizens.
It would be ridiculous to say that having virtually no controls on immigration would not impact on our economy, people bought into it because people are greedy.
That's my take on it.

Get your own bleeding hymn book
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2017, 06:57 AM
(07-10-2017 02:32 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(07-10-2017 02:25 PM)Thedemonbarber Wrote:  Okay, let's leave aside the women who are forced to wear the burqa by their families/husbands.(these women should be protected) but I will come back to that.

Let's concentrate on the women who 'choose' to wear it.
How easy does wearing this garment make it for Muslim women to integrate? Not very I would say.
Can you tell me....
How many conversations have you held with one of these women?
How many are in the workplace? How many do you see mixing freely with western women or men? How many are members of clubs or societies? etc etc

I have worked with two Muslim ladies in the past, both of whom wore the head scarf, both these women were teachers, both had liberal viewpoints. I think the women who wear the burqa by choice must not give much thought to the women who are forced, and therefore are less liberal maybe?

I don't know what motives are behind the Austrian governments decision, but from the integration, and womens rights standpoint I agree with it. If women are being held back from successfully integrating by families/husbands then this needs to be clamped down on, and if some are putting up barriers for whatever reason, then this needs looking at too.

So even though these women do choose to wear it, you are happy to *enforce* that they should not, in the name of integration? Why not say everyone should wear a Mao suit? As i asked before, why are you so happy to choose *for* those women, and not let them choose for themselves? Frankly maybe I don't want to be integrated with a bunch of clowns who despise my culture. Maybe I want to celebrate my heritage? Why should some politicians get to decide these things for me?

Maybe they don't have anything worth celebrating from their culture. They are more than likely in the geographic location they find themselves, because they ran screaming from the place they were born. I freely admit I moved to my new home state because the place I came from sucked. I could not make good money. The welfare state exists here too, but there is true low income housing. The welfare people are not allowed where I live. The apartment complex and many of them here have rules against it. You must be employed and show an income. Where I left, anyone renting a place out must allow section 8 or welfare. I don't want to have the laws down here be changed to what I left behind. The people in question want to have their laws brought here, there, and everywhere. This is why the ban should be implemented. There are plenty of muslims that are here and don't wear that stuff or keep it to a minimum with just the head scarf. I am fine with that. It is the complete covering and the fact that they are not allowed to utter a word and the guy always speaking for them that needs to be squashed. They left for a reason. If they lied to get here, they need to go back. If they truly left a bad situation, they should not be able to bring that situation with them.
09-10-2017, 07:17 AM
(09-10-2017 06:57 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  Maybe they don't have anything worth celebrating from their culture.

You really want government to be culture police? Why is it not enough to leave alone the voluntary cultural practices of adults?

(09-10-2017 06:57 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  They are more than likely in the geographic location they find themselves, because they ran screaming from the place they were born. I freely admit I moved to my new home state because the place I came from sucked. I could not make good money.

Did you also do it while screaming, or is that only for everyone else?

(09-10-2017 06:57 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  The welfare state exists here too, but there is true low income housing. The welfare people are not allowed where I live. The apartment complex and many of them here have rules against it. You must be employed and show an income. Where I left, anyone renting a place out must allow section 8 or welfare. I don't want to have the laws down here be changed to what I left behind.

If you are in low income housing that is at all government subsidized (directly or indirectly), you are one of those 'welfare people'. Dodgy

But no, keep just whining, you do not at all sound like the Pro-Life protester desperately trying to justify to themselves their own need for an abortion.

(09-10-2017 06:57 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  The people in question want to have their laws brought here, there, and everywhere. This is why the ban should be implemented.

You can say NO to Sharia Law without dictating a dress code. Facepalm

(09-10-2017 06:57 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  There are plenty of muslims that are here and don't wear that stuff or keep it to a minimum with just the head scarf. I am fine with that. It is the complete covering and the fact that they are not allowed to utter a word and the guy always speaking for them that needs to be squashed. They left for a reason. If they lied to get here, they need to go back. If they truly left a bad situation, they should not be able to bring that situation with them.

You really want to start legislating the cultural deference adults show to one another?

Maybe if we had less shit-gibbons like you, that woman could actually break away from a potentially toxic relationship and strike out on her own. But that would probably require government welfare so she could afford housing and food while trying to get an education so that she could hold down a steady job, provided anybody around there would hire a fresh Muslim immigrant who is not a native speaker of the local language. Would you help her? Or are you just going to bitch about her being a freeloader? Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
09-10-2017, 07:37 AM
(09-10-2017 07:17 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(09-10-2017 06:57 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  Maybe they don't have anything worth celebrating from their culture.

You really want government to be culture police? Why is it not enough to leave alone the voluntary cultural practices of adults?

(09-10-2017 06:57 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  They are more than likely in the geographic location they find themselves, because they ran screaming from the place they were born. I freely admit I moved to my new home state because the place I came from sucked. I could not make good money.

(09-10-2017 06:57 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  The welfare state exists here too, but there is true low income housing. The welfare people are not allowed where I live. The apartment complex and many of them here have rules against it. You must be employed and show an income. Where I left, anyone renting a place out must allow section 8 or welfare. I don't want to have the laws down here be changed to what I left behind.

If you are in low income housing that is at all government subsidized (directly or indirectly), you are one of those 'welfare people'. Dodgy

But no, keep just whining, you do not at all sound like the Pro-Life protester desperately trying to justify to themselves their own need for an abortion.

(09-10-2017 06:57 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  The people in question want to have their laws brought here, there, and everywhere. This is why the ban should be implemented.

(09-10-2017 06:57 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  There are plenty of muslims that are here and don't wear that stuff or keep it to a minimum with just the head scarf. I am fine with that. It is the complete covering and the fact that they are not allowed to utter a word and the guy always speaking for them that needs to be squashed. They left for a reason. If they lied to get here, they need to go back. If they truly left a bad situation, they should not be able to bring that situation with them.

You really want to start legislating the cultural deference adults show to one another?

Maybe if we had less shit-gibbons like you, that woman could actually break away from a potentially toxic relationship and strike out on her own. But that would probably require government welfare so she could afford housing and food while trying to get an education so that she could hold down a steady job, provided anybody around there would hire a fresh Muslim immigrant who is not a native speaker of the local language. Would you help her? Or are you just going to bitch about her being a freeloader? Drinking Beverage

I am not on any kind of government assistance, So, no I am not a welfare person. I am employed and now have a more middle class income. I had to have a background check and show a certain level of income to live where I do. There are no section 8 people living where I do. They are kept to the low income stuff. The places without swimming pools and dog parks.
09-10-2017, 08:53 AM
(09-10-2017 07:37 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(09-10-2017 07:17 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  You really want government to be culture police? Why is it not enough to leave alone the voluntary cultural practices of adults?

I am not on any kind of government assistance, So, no I am not a welfare person. I am employed and now have a more middle class income. I had to have a background check and show a certain level of income to live where I do. There are no section 8 people living where I do. They are kept to the low income stuff. The places without swimming pools and dog parks.

Well, thanks for for ignoring literally everything else. That's okay, we already know that your empathy stops at your wallet.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
09-10-2017, 09:54 AM
(09-10-2017 08:53 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(09-10-2017 07:37 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  I am not on any kind of government assistance, So, no I am not a welfare person. I am employed and now have a more middle class income. I had to have a background check and show a certain level of income to live where I do. There are no section 8 people living where I do. They are kept to the low income stuff. The places without swimming pools and dog parks.

Well, thanks for for ignoring literally everything else. That's okay, we already know that your empathy stops at your wallet.

I have a great deal of empathy. I don't mind sharing the wealth if given a choice. What made me angry was paying a fine that gave people that will not work insurance while I had no insurance even though I was working a lot of hours. When I am having trouble paying my bills and cannot make it, I don't want to be told I have to give money to the non-working. When you have a job/career you should be able to live half way decent. I don't mind giving what I don't need. But to know that you will never have a retirement in which you can stop working or even be able to cut back the hours worked greatly, it tends to piss me off.
09-10-2017, 10:11 AM
(08-10-2017 03:45 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(08-10-2017 01:32 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I don't like the idea of the oppression via wearing a burqa any more than I like the Christian sects who won't let women cut their hair and they all wear long denim skirts...I'd still like to know where the denim requirement is in the Bible. I know hair is mentioned but I think the Bible came before Levi Strauss.

Might be the lesser known passages about only wearing cloth of one fabric. The uncut hair certainly is. But it's not a woman's requirement but a general one.

Both, incidentally, on the same page as man not lying with man. But hardly mentioned in the same breath, although all is called an abomination in the eyes of god. Cutting your hair, wearing cloths of different fabrics or eating shellfish.

No, most christians believe that Saul of Tarsus relieved them from following all the old laws (except for the 10 Commandments which is never really explained why they still believe in those) because jesus fulfilled the law so they didn't have to follow it anymore.

Now, there are some christian sects that still follow both Jewish feasts, celebrate Shabbat, attend church on Saturday, keep kosher, eschew shellfish and pork, etc., but those are very few and far between and usually told by the true christians™ they don't need to be doing all that.

My thought is the denim skirt is a thing because it's cheap, durable and you can't see through it when the sun shines -- so it's considered modest. The women not cutting hair does come from the bible (some claim it's mentioned in the new testament -- but I'll admit to not being fucked enough to look for it). I think that is about not being prideful. I think the pentacostals don't allow hair cutting of any kind, nazarenes were against it (have no clue if that's still true). Nazarenes also didn't believe in playing cards, dancing, drinking...all kinds of weird stuff -- no lipstick or makeup of any kind for the women.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

09-10-2017, 10:13 AM
(08-10-2017 01:34 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(07-10-2017 04:48 PM)Chas Wrote:  If there are no burka-wearing women, then no women are affected. Why the outrage? Consider

How about Saudi Arabia makes it a law that it's illegal to display a Darwin or a Jesus fish on your person or e.g. on a bumper sticker? All depictions of fish are outlawed but it's transparently an attempt to discriminate against Christians and atheists.

Don't give a fuck - it's not a democracy.

Quote:When challenged the response is "But there are no Christians or atheists in Saudi Arabia, so why the outrage?"

It wold be one of their least offensive laws. Drinking Beverage

Quote:Come on Chas. It's purely a measure aimed squarely at pissing off Muslims who *do* visit and live in Austria.

That is the assumption.

Quote:And practically the first line of the article linked was talking about a woman who was forced by police to remove her veil the day the law came into effect. There *are* people who were affected.

It was a sarcastic response to abaris. Facepalm

Quote:And the outrage... the very concept of government being that involved in ones' affairs as to dictate *dress*??? What the fuck even is that? You have all the freedom in the world to do as we tell you. Dodgy

Is it legal to appear nude in public? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-10-2017, 10:15 AM
(09-10-2017 10:13 AM)Chas Wrote:  Is it legal to appear nude in public? Consider

It is in Oregon. Drinking Beverage

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

09-10-2017, 10:26 AM
(09-10-2017 10:15 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(09-10-2017 10:13 AM)Chas Wrote:  Is it legal to appear nude in public? Consider

It is in Oregon. Drinking Beverage

An enlightened state.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user