Austria implements "burqa ban"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2017, 02:58 PM
RE: Austria implements "burqa ban"
If it covers all but the eyes, it is dehumanizing.

We communicate MUCH with our faces. Hence we have smilies. Confused
Looking at faces of other humans and animals to ensure proper communication is vital, as we internet users understand very well. Without the face misunderstandings abound.

So, it is an evolved form of expression, heck, apes and monkeys and even dogs are pretty good at using faces to facilitate communication. If you have no face at all, you are a non person.

Secondly, I don't know if there is an actual woman under there or not. It could be a man.

So I am against full burkas that allow no view of the face at all. Pick one of the other styles and get over it.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2017, 03:19 PM
(03-10-2017 02:18 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  Note that this stops maniacs of any gender or religious belief from hiding behind the veil of a burqa in order to carry out a crime and not be identified.

And how many such maniacs did it? Not to mention the fact that if someone is willing to break the law then he will not care about breaking another one.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
03-10-2017, 03:20 PM
(03-10-2017 02:24 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(03-10-2017 02:19 PM)morondog Wrote:  My understanding is that this garment has been worn for centuries without causing a problem, and that people have a right to freedom of expression.

Yes, but there was a time during the 60s I know women in places like Afghanistan, did wear mini-skirts. Not micro minis..but just cut above the knee.

My understanding was that taliban put the kibosh on that practice and it was very difficult for the women that were used to certain freedoms, to having next to none.

... So... that's an oppressive regime regulating women's clothing... I oppose that. Same as I oppose any Western government doing the same.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
03-10-2017, 03:39 PM
(03-10-2017 02:57 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
Quote:What do you care if they swear on the Quran or the Bible?

Swearing on the Quran is yet another example of the insidious devaluation of the nominally secular society we enjoy in Australia. Why will a Muslim not simply make an affirmation as a theist can now do? Why bring yet another religion into a court of law?
If Christians can swear on the bible then Muslims ought to swear on the Quran.
By my reckoning you ought to focus on removing the swearing on any religious text in court rather than focusing and wanting to obstruct the Muslims.
Make a call for the removal of swearing on the bible.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
03-10-2017, 03:42 PM
(03-10-2017 01:32 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(03-10-2017 12:46 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Telling a women who is wearring a burqa or a niqab to remove her face veil will in no way make her free.
Perhaps there should also be a ban on women wearing make-up. It is almost a mask. Perhaps we should create freedom for women by outlawing them wearing make-up.

Also maybe outlaw the bikini. It makes women into sex objects, stops people seeing them as people but just as fuck toys. If we outlaw bikinis we are creating freedom for the women to become people and not just sex objects. We create freedom for women by creating laws telling women what they can and can't do with their bodies, especially regarding clothes and things on their faces.

I'm not sure about earrings and studs and stuff, maybe that should also be illegal, can create freedom for a woman by stopping them wearing things on their faces!

False equivalences. Facepalm

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-10-2017, 03:46 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2017 03:50 PM by Chas.)
(03-10-2017 02:18 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(03-10-2017 02:11 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  Well... my understanding is that concealing your face means that there won't be reliable witnesses if you commit a crime. It's irrelevant for what reason you're covering your face, if you pull out a knife, stab someone and run off, you won't be able to be identified.

Of course I feel extremely sorry for any women who have been forced to live under the idiotic rules of Islam. I'm not enjoying any discomfort this causes them, I'm just pleased to see religious exceptions to laws being removed. Who knows, maybe this eventually lead to more liberation for Western Muslim women. God knows they need it.

But how many of those women are committing crimes? It seems to be targeting a group based solely on fear. This is just me, on the outside of this, looking in. If you say that they're like the anarchists here, destroying public property during otherwise peaceful protests then I might understand it better.

Just curious about that...

Many women head cover for lots of cultural and religious reasons. I understand that's different than covering one's whole face (its kinda going with the other poster in this thread who seems to be opposed to anything worn on the head aside from a hat he approves of and maybe he's anti-hat too, I have no idea).

I don't think that Muslim women are the only, or main, concern.
The problem is a criminal posing as a Muslim woman to conceal his or her identity.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
03-10-2017, 03:49 PM
(03-10-2017 03:20 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(03-10-2017 02:24 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Yes, but there was a time during the 60s I know women in places like Afghanistan, did wear mini-skirts. Not micro minis..but just cut above the knee.

My understanding was that taliban put the kibosh on that practice and it was very difficult for the women that were used to certain freedoms, to having next to none.

... So... that's an oppressive regime regulating women's clothing... I oppose that. Same as I oppose any Western government doing the same.

The law applies to men, too. No one gets to cover his or her face in public.

03-10-2017, 04:40 PM
(03-10-2017 03:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  I don't think that Muslim women are the only, or main, concern.
The problem is a criminal posing as a Muslim woman to conceal his or her identity.

Recently in Australia, we've had two males apprehended by police after the commission of a crime—both wearing burqas.

One bloke held up a convenience store for cigarettes at 2AM, and another held up a bank branch in broad daylight. The issue in both cases is that it's currently illegal for a member of the public to demand and expect a Muslim woman to remove her religious rags. Only the police can do that—but which invariably leads to strident cries of "foul", and "victimisation", from the local Islamic community. To which I say boo-fucking-hoo.

And yet, motorcyclists, by law, have to remove their helmets before entering a bank, post office, or other government building. And the logic? Because they can't be identified on CCTV.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
03-10-2017, 06:55 PM
(03-10-2017 03:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-10-2017 02:18 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  But how many of those women are committing crimes? It seems to be targeting a group based solely on fear. This is just me, on the outside of this, looking in. If you say that they're like the anarchists here, destroying public property during otherwise peaceful protests then I might understand it better.

Just curious about that...

Many women head cover for lots of cultural and religious reasons. I understand that's different than covering one's whole face (its kinda going with the other poster in this thread who seems to be opposed to anything worn on the head aside from a hat he approves of and maybe he's anti-hat too, I have no idea).

I don't think that Muslim women are the only, or main, concern.

That's why I asked if that was a thing.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

03-10-2017, 06:58 PM
(03-10-2017 04:40 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(03-10-2017 03:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  I don't think that Muslim women are the only, or main, concern.

Recently in Australia, we've had two males apprehended by police after the commission of a crime—both wearing burqas.

One bloke held up a convenience store for cigarettes at 2AM, and another held up a bank branch in broad daylight. The issue in both cases is that it's currently illegal for a member of the public to demand and expect a Muslim woman to remove her religious rags. Only the police can do that—but which invariably leads to strident cries of "foul", and "victimisation", from the local Islamic community. To which I say boo-fucking-hoo.

And yet, motorcyclists, by law, have to remove their helmets before entering a bank, post office, or other government building. And the logic? Because they can't be identified on CCTV.

So the answer is two. In Australia

Thanks

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces