Austria implements "burqa ban"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-10-2017, 01:21 PM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2017 01:25 PM by abaris.)
RE: Austria implements "burqa ban"
(03-10-2017 07:01 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I think this law's intent is at women. I really do believe this will cause more women to feel isolated and trapped in their homes. Instead of being around the influence of other people and especially women outside of their culture.

Knowing the politicians and the political forces involved, as well as the climate created by these politicians, this law's intent is twofold. Discriminating against muslims - as I said - I never saw any woman wearing a burqa in the streets. And, of course, to make demonstrating even more difficult than it was before. There already were several attempts at doing so, using different approaches that didn't pass parliament.

No, no, this law has no good intent. It's only catering to populous sentiment and against the freedom of expressing yourself. Everything else is window dressing.

There are several other things going on that don't make international headlines, such as putting muslim schools and kindergardens on a watchlist, while at the same time christian institutions remain untouched. Attempts were made at forbidding muslims to openly show symbolisms of their believes, whereas the same wasn't demanded from christians or jews.

Yes, do away with all religious symbolism. Make the public sphere secular, as France did, long time ago. But don't discriminate against a single religion, while at the same time, crosses stay in public buildings and schools.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
04-10-2017, 01:34 PM
(04-10-2017 12:54 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  None of the things you mentioned pose a security risk, except maybe the bikini or anything that reveals too much ankle around muslim refugees. If I have to get my picture taken without even wearing sunglasses and my picture fed into a national database for facial recognition software, so should the muslims. The whole burka thing is simply to hide identity. I could dress a male felon in a burka and take them anywhere in the country and nobody would be the wiser, as long as they didn't talk. So, basically treat him like a typical muslim female, do all the talking for them.
The security risk thing is a ruse.
People walking around with guns is far more dangerous than people walking around with scarves, sunglasses and burkas.
If a felon walked by me in the street, chances are I wouldn't know they were a felon, even if their face was free from obstruction. What does a felon look like?

We have a few Muslim women in Auckland walk around face fully covered. They are no threat at all. Now if you are worried about someone with misintent, what is to stop them having a mask in their pocket, go into the bathroom, put the mask on and come out and do their thing? A full burka is probably not the best attire for a quick getaway.
[Image: burka.jpg]

How much of a problem is this? How many crimes are being committed by people in burkas?
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
04-10-2017, 01:38 PM
(04-10-2017 01:34 PM)Stevil Wrote:  How much of a problem is this? How many crimes are being committed by people in burkas?

But they *might* commit crimes don't you see? And if they *did* then no one would know who they were because criminals wandering around wearing a burqa could be just about *anyone*!!!!! It's the perfect disguise too because you can take it *off* later and no one will know who you are!!! Rolleyes

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
04-10-2017, 01:40 PM
The major fear I imagine would be suicide bombers, but frankly a suicide bomber could just wear a big jersey - there's no fucking way that the burqa ban could stop one such. Unless these clowns want to mandate that everyone goes naked everywhere. Dunno if Austria has the climate for that.

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
04-10-2017, 01:49 PM
(03-10-2017 09:22 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Are you implying that Australia long period of white supremacist immigration policies are still having a cultural impact on the perception of immigrants who display different cultural norms (and skin tone) than those of white Australian? If so, you are probably not completly wrong in my opinion.

Indeed.

Many people do not understand the far reaching cultural impact of The white Australia policy. For example, were you aware that policy was a driving factor used by Japan to justify their war in the Pacific and south east Asia?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
04-10-2017, 02:17 PM
(04-10-2017 01:34 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(04-10-2017 12:54 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  None of the things you mentioned pose a security risk, except maybe the bikini or anything that reveals too much ankle around muslim refugees. If I have to get my picture taken without even wearing sunglasses and my picture fed into a national database for facial recognition software, so should the muslims. The whole burka thing is simply to hide identity. I could dress a male felon in a burka and take them anywhere in the country and nobody would be the wiser, as long as they didn't talk. So, basically treat him like a typical muslim female, do all the talking for them.
People walking around with guns is far more dangerous than people walking around with scarves, sunglasses and burkas.
If a felon walked by me in the street, chances are I wouldn't know they were a felon, even if their face was free from obstruction. What does a felon look like?

We have a few Muslim women in Auckland walk around face fully covered. They are no threat at all. Now if you are worried about someone with misintent, what is to stop them having a mask in their pocket, go into the bathroom, put the mask on and come out and do their thing? A full burka is probably not the best attire for a quick getaway.

How much of a problem is this? How many crimes are being committed by people in burkas?

That wouldn't work. After an event such as the vegas shooting, the police use footage from store cameras, atm cameras, and anything else available. If I were to wear a burka (a mask would draw attention) and say steal a car, commit some kind of crime, then slip back home wearing same burka. What info might the police have? My height, if they compare angles with the distance and size of objects nearby when I pass a camera. If there is a camera close enough, they might get an idea of where I live. Other than that, unless I am dumb enough to carry my phone with me they have nothing. Yes, the walking tarps pose a risk. If they get to pose for pictures for facial recognition with a face covering, I should be able to show up wearing a beer hat (minus the alcohol) and sunglasses. It makes me feel like a prisoner. Everything americans do is recorded. They get free reign.
04-10-2017, 02:22 PM
(04-10-2017 01:34 PM)Stevil Wrote:  

I don't think that a felon has any particular look. It is that facial recognition needs a face. If someone that is wanted is spotted by facial recognition, the system will know. Unless they have everything covered. What happened to equal rights? They get to cover up completely and hide who they are. We should get to as well.
04-10-2017, 02:27 PM
So to be clear, you're suggesting that because an elderly white man shot a whole bunch of people in America, a bunch of other people not connected in any way should have their rights to freedom of expression abrogated?

Also... if a criminal didn't want to be recognised in your fancy face recognition database that you're prattling on about, you think they would lack the ability to change their appearance and a burqa ban will solve all the problems? Whoops! Too bad guys, we'll have to come up with a new plan. The burqa idea just ain't gonna fly any more.

Christ that's dumb Facepalm

04-10-2017, 02:48 PM
(04-10-2017 02:17 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  That wouldn't work. After an event such as the vegas shooting, the police use footage from store cameras, atm cameras, and anything else available.
The guy had purchased a one way ticket. It didn't matter if his face were caught on camera. Actually, it seems he brought his own camera to record the fun for all to see.

(04-10-2017 02:17 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  If I were to wear a burka (a mask would draw attention) and say steal a car, commit some kind of crime, then slip back home wearing same burka.
Nitpicky I know, but I think you would draw a lot of attention if you were driving a car in a burka, you might even get pulled over by the police for unsafe driving. (driving with obstructed view).

If you were running down town in a burka, that would also attract a lot of attention.

But anyway, if you google Austria and burqa ban, you'll find that they are not banning it due to security concerns. They are banning it because they think it isn't part of their current culture and they want these immigrants to assimilate by looking like the locals.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
04-10-2017, 02:52 PM
(04-10-2017 02:22 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  What happened to equal rights? They get to cover up completely and hide who they are. We should get to as well.
Really? Feeling jealous?

Perhaps you could wear a burka too. I don't think there is a law against non Muslims wearing them.
Try it out, see how that goes for you.