Austria implements "burqa ban"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2017, 02:10 PM
RE: Austria implements "burqa ban"
The state can get fucked regulating people's dress. I've a good mind to take up wearing the hijab Dodgy

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
03-10-2017, 02:11 PM
Well... my understanding is that concealing your face means that there won't be reliable witnesses if you commit a crime. It's irrelevant for what reason you're covering your face, if you pull out a knife, stab someone and run off, you won't be able to be identified.

Of course I feel extremely sorry for any women who have been forced to live under the idiotic rules of Islam. I'm not enjoying any discomfort this causes them, I'm just pleased to see religious exceptions to laws being removed. Who knows, maybe this will eventually lead to more liberation for Western Muslim women. God knows they need it.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-10-2017, 02:18 PM
Note that this stops maniacs of any gender or religious belief from hiding behind the veil of a burqa in order to carry out a crime and not be identified.

I note again for anyone who missed it: they're not being told to remove the whole burqa, just that you can't cover your face with the veil.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
03-10-2017, 02:18 PM
(03-10-2017 02:11 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  Well... my understanding is that concealing your face means that there won't be reliable witnesses if you commit a crime. It's irrelevant for what reason you're covering your face, if you pull out a knife, stab someone and run off, you won't be able to be identified.

Of course I feel extremely sorry for any women who have been forced to live under the idiotic rules of Islam. I'm not enjoying any discomfort this causes them, I'm just pleased to see religious exceptions to laws being removed. Who knows, maybe this eventually lead to more liberation for Western Muslim women. God knows they need it.

But how many of those women are committing crimes? It seems to be targeting a group based solely on fear. This is just me, on the outside of this, looking in. If you say that they're like the anarchists here, destroying public property during otherwise peaceful protests then I might understand it better.

Just curious about that...

Many women head cover for lots of cultural and religious reasons. I understand that's different than covering one's whole face (its kinda going with the other poster in this thread who seems to be opposed to anything worn on the head aside from a hat he approves of and maybe he's anti-hat too, I have no idea).

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
03-10-2017, 02:19 PM
My understanding is that this garment has been worn for centuries without causing a problem, and that people have a right to freedom of expression.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
03-10-2017, 02:24 PM
(03-10-2017 02:19 PM)morondog Wrote:  My understanding is that this garment has been worn for centuries without causing a problem, and that people have a right to freedom of expression.

Yes, but there was a time during the 60s I know women in places like Afghanistan, did wear mini-skirts. Not micro minis..but just cut above the knee.

My understanding was that taliban put the kibosh on that practice and it was very difficult for the women that were used to certain freedoms, to having next to none.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
03-10-2017, 02:25 PM
(03-10-2017 12:31 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I'm not sure if I approve as I don't think gov should be regulating what people wear. On the other hand I'm aware that wearing burqa may not exactly be a choice so some action to free women may be needed.

They implemented a ban on all things covering the face. It's quite clearly geared at muslims although I don't recall having seen any woman wearing a burqa on the streets. They couldn't formulate it that way because it would be in stark violation of the constitution to discriminate based on religion.

The legislation will hurt on several levels. First and foremost it's also an instrument to ban movements such as anonymous and others not being comfortable to show their faces at demonstrations. That way the police has an easier way to find and identify "troublemakers". Secondly, it will hurt tourism in certain regions. There are several cities living by wealthy arabian tourists visiting. They will go elsewhere in the future.

The bad will outweigh the good - if good was ever the intent. I highly doubt that. It's just another move catering to populous sentiments.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like abaris's post
03-10-2017, 02:28 PM
I don't like the idea of a ban. People should be able to wear what they want. If someone wants look like a ghost character from Pac-man good luck to them.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
03-10-2017, 02:28 PM
Well okay, that will teach me to assume anything. I just read another article which goes into more detail and it seems that the reasoning behind this is "improved integration". That's a really stupid reason. If that's all they are doing it for, I'd oppose it.

Apologies for shooting my mouth off, I thought this was about something sensible. I still think hiding your face in public shouldn't be allowed because of the reasons I stated, but it seems this is not exactly the issue at hand.

03-10-2017, 02:57 PM
(03-10-2017 01:46 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  You’re against the girl wearing a scarf even though you can see her face?

As per my picture... yes.

Quote:Is someone forcing YOUR daughter to cover her head?

No, but then I don't want her sitting next to an 8-year-old girl in class whose mother is already teaching her to accept the oppressive, self-denying paternalistic edicts of her religion. Every child of every religion should at least be allowed to reach teenage-hood without being forced blindly into their parents' choice of religion.

Quote:What do you care if they swear on the Quran or the Bible?

Swearing on the Quran is yet another example of the insidious devaluation of the nominally secular society we enjoy in Australia. Why will a Muslim not simply make an affirmation as a theist can now do? Why bring yet another religion into a court of law?

Quote:It shouldn’t matter to you in the least.

Well, it does. As an oldie, I'm seeing the basic societal standards and free lifestyle values we've enjoyed in Australia for 250 years slipping away, aided and abetted by—in particular—Muslim immigrants and refugees who are working hard to destroy that status quo.

Quote:I feel bad for the women who will be forced to show their faces.

Why in particular Moms?

Quote:They’ve been so indoctrinated by their belief that many might choose to isolate themselves even more — never mind what their men might tell them.

But... but... their defenders claim that they're not indoctrinated by their belief—that they voluntarily choose to wear their religious rags, and it's got nothing to do with their men. As I understand the word, to "indoctrinate" means to teach someone to accept a set of beliefs uncritically, or more crudely, to brainwash them.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.