Autism and so on

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2017, 02:17 PM
RE: Autism and so on
(29-08-2017 06:35 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(29-08-2017 04:10 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  What dietary changes did you make? I mean other than making sure he didn't eat any British food?

I've written about this a few times before but it's worth repeating.
It worked although at great cost. The whole family did it which was useful for me personally in that I realised the suicidal tendencies were gluten related and the severe hayfever was dairy related.

Did you try any probiotics? I am convinced that the gut-brain link is often overlooked.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-08-2017, 03:09 PM
(30-08-2017 02:17 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(29-08-2017 06:35 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I've written about this a few times before but it's worth repeating.
It worked although at great cost. The whole family did it which was useful for me personally in that I realised the suicidal tendencies were gluten related and the severe hayfever was dairy related.

Did you try any probiotics? I am convinced that the gut-brain link is often overlooked.

It was the gut-brain link that helped us understand the condition i.e. putting the wrong/right fuel in the system.

Pepsin and all that.

Yes

30-08-2017, 03:20 PM
(30-08-2017 03:09 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(30-08-2017 02:17 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Did you try any probiotics? I am convinced that the gut-brain link is often overlooked.

It was the gut-brain link that helped us understand the condition i.e. putting the wrong/right fuel in the system.

Pepsin and all that.

Yes

More linked than you may realize.
Quote:The network of neurons in the gut is as plentiful and complex as the network of neurons in our spinal cord, which may seem overly complex just to keep track of digestion. Why is our gut the only organ in our body that needs its own “brain”? Is it just to manage the process of digestion? Or could it be that one job of our second brain is to listen in on the trillions of microbes residing in the gut?
https://www.scientificamerican.com/artic...s-excerpt/

And those neurons should probably talk to your gut biome and ask it whether it needs probiotics. The answer is "Probably not."
Quote:A closer look at the science underlying microbe-based treatments, however, shows that most of the health claims for probiotics are pure hype. The majority of studies to date have failed to reveal any benefits in individuals who are already healthy. The bacteria seem to help only those people suffering from a few specific intestinal disorders. “There is no evidence to suggest that people with normal gastrointestinal tracts can benefit from taking probiotics,” says Matthew Ciorba, a gastroenterologist at Washington University in St. Louis. “If you're not in any distress, I would not recommend them.” Emma Allen-Vercoe, a microbiologist at the University of Guelph in Ontario, agrees. For the most part, she says, “the claims that are made are enormously inflated.”
https://www.scientificamerican.com/artic...ally-work/
[+] 2 users Like Rockblossom's post
30-08-2017, 04:25 PM
(30-08-2017 03:20 PM)Rockblossom Wrote:  ...
More linked than you may realize.

My ex undertook a degree in nutrition and stuff in order to understand it. Me, I'm not so smart. But we read up on the studies about the gut being the second brain.

I've since realised this was incorrect... the gut is the first brain Smile

One of the hypotheses at the time was that Candida (or similar) was making the gut more porous allowing larger peptides through, effectively giving the brain a similar hit to heroin.

I can't say that I now remember much of what I read.

Blush

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post