Autism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-06-2012, 06:00 AM
RE: Autism
(21-06-2012 05:52 AM)Leela Wrote:  
(20-06-2012 05:56 PM)zeldamaster17 Wrote:  My little brother has autism
(21-06-2012 03:56 AM)zeldamaster17 Wrote:  Already knew it wasn't a disease. Tongue
This statement is why I said it isn't a disease. Because you *have* a disease. Your brother doesn't have autism, he is autist.

(21-06-2012 05:25 AM)Logisch Wrote:  One must remember that these people are usually VERY intelligent but have a different way of thinking than neurotypical types as DLJ has kindly pointed out.
I am not sure about that. Yes, asperger autists might, but not every autist and I am positive that not "usually". I have read and heard about enough cases where they are not "VERY intelligent". Maybe they are average and the only thing is that they are not neuro typical (thanks for pointing this out, didn't know how else to express it but with "normal").
True. And it likely isn't the case for all. I have more experience in dealing with a few aspie friends, my experiences with autistic is far more limited unfortunately. I'm no professional in the matter. Good points Leela. I do know that I've seen complete breakdowns from my friend when things interrupted his normal daily routines.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-06-2012, 06:07 AM
(21-06-2012 05:52 AM)Leela Wrote:  This statement is why I said it isn't a disease. Because you *have* a disease. Your brother doesn't have autism, he is autist.
This seems oddly picky or PC-ish. Autism is a condition, and one can have a condition.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-06-2012, 08:23 AM
(21-06-2012 06:07 AM)Chas Wrote:  This seems oddly picky or PC-ish. Autism is a condition, and one can have a condition.
Not sure how picky it is but I see and hear that statement pretty much all the time and it seems logical to me. I understand but don't really aggree with the condition, because a condition goes away. Autism doesn't go away, all that can happen is, that they learn and train, which will make them seem "normal", but that will not change that neurologicly they are not "normal".
Like you are deaf and you do not have deafness, or you are blind and you do not have blindness.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user