Auto-Savvy Atheists: Halp!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-02-2017, 01:43 PM
RE: Auto-Savvy Atheists: Halp!
(15-02-2017 12:39 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  They mentioned again to me (they'd mentioned this the last time I got my oil changed there) a leak in the power steering rack.

It's difficult to form an accurate opinion about this without actually seeing your vehicle. This is a simplified diagrammatic of how the power steering works...

[Image: power-steering-parts.jpg]

At each end of the hydraulic cylinder there's a flexible seal, and also one around the piston in the centre. They're the most likely places I'd expect leakage of the PS fluid—assuming there's no obvious leaks elsewhere, particularly in the connecting hydraulic lines and/or unions.

If the centre seal starts leaking, you'll get fluid bypass, and your steering wheel effort will increase noticeably over time—but won't be catastrophic if you're driving, as the mechanical parts of the rack and pinion will still work to steer the vehicle. The hydraulic pump and fluid is only there to help you by making the steering much lighter—same as power assisted brakes.

It's also important to get your power steering pump checked out. A little self test you can do is—with the engine just started—put your steering on full lock, both left and right, and reverse the car in a full circle. If you hear a noticeable grinding or whining sound, then you could guess it's the pump—and not the rack and pinion. If so, it's probably a $1.00 O-ring needed to fix it. I kid you not LOL. (Whereas a replacement steering pump could be $600 plus.)

I also know that HONDA recalled nearly all 2005 (and later) Accords due to..... power steering problems. Did you get that recall notice sometime in 2012 (I think)?

And be aware that some shifty mechanics will exaggerate the alleged severity of your steering problems and/or deliberately misdiagnose them, and overcharge you accordingly. I'd definitely get at least three separate diagnoses.

—Hope this helps.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-02-2017, 01:55 PM
(15-02-2017 01:43 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(15-02-2017 12:39 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  They mentioned again to me (they'd mentioned this the last time I got my oil changed there) a leak in the power steering rack.

It's difficult to form an accurate opinion about this without actually seeing your vehicle. This is a simplified diagrammatic of how the power steering works...

At each end of the hydraulic cylinder there's a flexible seal, and also one around the piston in the centre. They're the most likely places I'd expect leakage of the PS fluid—assuming there's no obvious leaks elsewhere, particularly in the connecting hydraulic lines and/or unions.

If the centre seal starts leaking, you'll get fluid bypass, and your steering wheel effort will increase noticeably over time—but won't be catastrophic if you're driving, as the mechanical parts of the rack and pinion will still work to steer the vehicle. The hydraulic pump and fluid is only there to help you by making the steering much lighter—same as power assisted brakes.

It's also important to get your power steering pump checked out. A little self test you can do is—with the engine just started—put your steering on full lock, both left and right, and reverse the car in a full circle. If you hear a noticeable grinding or whining sound, then you could guess it's the pump—and not the rack and pinion. If so, it's probably a $1.00 O-ring needed to fix it. I kid you not LOL. (Whereas a replacement steering pump could be $600 plus.)

I also know that HONDA recalled nearly all 2005 (and later) Accords due to..... power steering problems. Did you get that recall notice sometime in 2012 (I think)?

And be aware that some shifty mechanics will exaggerate the alleged severity of your steering problems and/or deliberately misdiagnose them, and overcharge you accordingly. I'd definitely get at least three separate diagnoses.

—Hope this helps.

If there was a recall notice, go to a Honda dealer and have them fix it for FREE.
[+] 1 user Likes Rik's post
15-02-2017, 02:03 PM
(15-02-2017 01:18 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  You can always take it to another mechanic for their assessment too. Ask them what it would cost to put it on a lift and give an estimate for repairs to your power steering rack and pinion because you have been told it was bad. You might even frame it to the other mechanic as "I am thinking about selling the car and want to see if it is worth doing this fix before I sell it. Do you recommend it?"

Or even better than that, take it in for a general diagnostic without saying a word about the power steering. If they come up with it too, you know it's a real problem.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
15-02-2017, 03:02 PM
(15-02-2017 01:43 PM)SYZ Wrote:  

—Hope this helps.

Bolding mine. I recommend against this, because if you crank hard enough against the stops (called "two- blocking") enough pressure can be built to burst the pressure hose. Verify your leak rate before proceeding. Also, if you steer your car into parking situations by hitting the stops, the pressure can cause leaks by the seals, anyway. If you hit a stop, back off slightly from that. It won't change your turning radius by any noticeable amount. This may be the source of your leak. I'd recommend cleaning it up and keeping an eye on the level. And don't two-block the steering. HTH.
15-02-2017, 03:55 PM
All I know is Richard Hammond would tell you to buy a Porsche 911 Thumbsup

I really am no help, at all; I know! Tongue

[+] 3 users Like TheGulegon's post
15-02-2017, 04:35 PM
I think I'm even more confused than before. Hobo

I'll have to read these again when I get home. Mom is picking me up and taking me over to get the car and then I shall drive it home. If nothing else, I'll have my brother or another auto shop (I looked up a shop with better reviews than the Honda dealership I take my car to now) look at it. I may just tell them I'm going on a trip soon and just want them to look the car over for me.

[+] 2 users Like Escape Artist's post
15-02-2017, 05:27 PM
(15-02-2017 01:16 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  While it sucks, $1500 is probably not too bad considering parts and labor for replacing the rack. This would be unrelated to tie rods (your car probably doesn't have them anyways) too.

Yeah, but that cars only worth like $5K. I'd put the $1500 into a new car before I'd sink it into a car that's only worth like 3X that. Also, I've been here before. Once one major system goes, they all start to go. And then you'll feel like you gotta keep fixing it because you've already put $1500 into it and don't want to admit your a fool. Yup, been there more than once. I'd be looking for a new car and keep driving the Honda putting power steering in it until it won't turn anymore. Then just take the tags and leave it there. Yes

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
15-02-2017, 05:57 PM
(15-02-2017 05:27 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(15-02-2017 01:16 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  While it sucks, $1500 is probably not too bad considering parts and labor for replacing the rack. This would be unrelated to tie rods (your car probably doesn't have them anyways) too.

Yeah, but that cars only worth like $5K. I'd put the $1500 into a new car before I'd sink it into a car that's only worth like 3X that. Also, I've been here before. Once one major system goes, they all start to go. And then you'll feel like you gotta keep fixing it because you've already put $1500 into it and don't want to admit your a fool. Yup, been there more than once. I'd be looking for a new car and keep driving the Honda putting power steering in it until it won't turn anymore. Then just take the tags and leave it there. Yes

You can probably get some trade-in value at a dealership if they have some models on the lot they want to move. End of the month/quarter/year is a good time to ask because they like to reduce inventory. They are usually concerned more about making a sale than they are taking a bath on a POS trade in.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
15-02-2017, 06:04 PM
Yeah but we can't really afford a new car (or any kind of payments, really). I got this one and put a bunch of money down on it and paid it off quick because I didn't want car payments. So I kind of gotta stick with it for at least a little while.

Hell I just got the car at the first of 2015 so I haven't had it very long myself. It had around 73,000 miles on it when I got it and now it has 116,000 miles on it.

15-02-2017, 06:08 PM
I mean, it's all fine and good to say get a new car, but we're not exactly rich over here. We do okay - "okay" doesn't mean we can afford car payments. And at any rate, I have an emotional attachment to the car. Even though I hate it at times. Hobo