Aw geez....really?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-08-2015, 02:29 PM
RE: Aw geez....really?
(14-08-2015 01:29 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  
(14-08-2015 01:10 PM)Iñigo Wrote:  Was she afraid of getting chaffed by the string?

In the article she stated something to the effect that she was afraid of that happening. In my experience, chaffing is increased with moisture. I think if that was all that was really at play here it would have been better to just slather on the Body Glide and wear the tampon. My wife has ran several marathons, some of them while wearing a tampon, and never complained about them bothering her.

But, one thing I have learned as a man is that it is never a good idea to question a woman on women's matters. Period. Tongue

Very punny.

She also is making a statement about women in third world countries that don't have access to "feminine hygiene products" . So why doesn't she start a fund for women who have to still use rags. Just a thought.

Do men have any personal hygiene products they use. Can't think of any.......off hand. Rolleyes

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
14-08-2015, 02:34 PM
(14-08-2015 02:29 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  She also is making a statement about women in third world countries that don't have access to "feminine hygiene products" . So why doesn't she start a fund for women who have to still use rags. Just a thought.

Because those initiatives already exist, and just giving them a few dollars wouldn't get anyone else's attention?

I think it was a dumb idea too, don't get me wrong, but you can't deny that it worked.

... this is my signature!
14-08-2015, 02:43 PM
''period shaming?''

lmao

How sad that not wearing a tampon is considered news worthy.

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
14-08-2015, 02:47 PM
In other news, toddlers are refusing to wear diapers in order to bring attention to the often-overlooked social issue of "poop shaming".

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 4 users Like Unbeliever's post
14-08-2015, 03:00 PM
If my body tells me I shouldn't do something, I listen to it. And I don't myself display my personal functions to make a point.
14-08-2015, 03:06 PM
Is period shaming a real thing? What does it entail?

What I mean is:

How wide spread is it, I'm sure there are some morons around on this planet who would shame women for having their period. But is it a real problem?
14-08-2015, 03:26 PM
Body fascism is rife. I got arrested for taking a dump at the finishing line.

Joking aside though, don't think of it as her wanting women being able to walk around with blood staining their trousers. In the same way that we don't all walk around with snot dribbling down our faces. OK well yes I do but only when my nose is playing up and I make sure no one sees it, it's just the only way to relieve the pressure sometimes when I otherwise want to scratch it off.

If her stunt achieves anything then it will be to make the whole subject less of a taboo in society. I always found at school that it takes one person to go to extremes in shaking off conformity to let other people feel less inhibited about being themselves. And there is a taboo about periods. In the same way that there is a taboo about breast feeding in public. Historically it has been used as an excuse to put women down. My mother told me once that she asked her mother as a child why a woman can't be a prime minister and her mother replied it was because they have periods. There is a perception in society that having a period is like a periodical disability and if you have that unconscious bias then it's not hard to infer that women are therefore generally less capable. Running a marathon whilst flowing freely is a statement that it isn't a disability.

So yes, I'm all for her running the marathon with a visible blood stain to make a statement. I remember being at an LGB conference once and seeing a woman with incredibly hairy legs wearing shorts. My first reaction was "ewww ..." but then my next thought was, "why should she be ashamed of a natural bodily process?". The fact is that generally all women cover up their legs if they don't wax or shave them, me included. How is this different to what's going on in the middle east with covering up the face and hair?
14-08-2015, 03:28 PM
(14-08-2015 03:06 PM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  Is period shaming a real thing?

No.

(14-08-2015 03:06 PM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  What does it entail?

According to those who get upset about it, the fact that men consider "freebleeding" icky is indicative of society's determination to shame women for perfectly natural bodily functions and keep them oppressed... somehow.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 1 user Likes Unbeliever's post
14-08-2015, 04:44 PM
I think I have lost all hope that there is common sense at work anywhere. No

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
14-08-2015, 04:46 PM
I'm putting this in the TMI category.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?