Awana/Sunday school.....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-04-2016, 10:23 AM
Awana/Sunday school.....
I was invited by some friends at school when I was in the 3rd grade to Awana at a conservative baptist church about 20 minutes away from where I lived. I had fun there because they had games, prizes, campouts, etc.. but now I'm angry because I was brainwashed and indoctrinated and my own mother allowed me to go to awana and on a churc bus without even investigating or checking out that church. And btw...it was a evangelical/fundamentalist baptist church. But I got back at them..I became catholic and now I'm an atheist....anyone have any stories about awana or Sunday school???
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2016, 11:04 AM
RE: Awana/Sunday school.....
Approved Workmen Are Not Ashamed

Yeah I remember that actually being a pretty good time as a kid as far as church goes.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
08-04-2016, 11:10 AM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2016 11:19 AM by Bucky Ball.)
Everyone should come here for Sunday School.
TTA and Doc have the THE best Sunday School.
We even get to throw spit balls.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...e?page=142

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
08-04-2016, 10:00 PM
I only went to awana once with some friends; it was a bit too liberal for my family's taste, given that it was co-ed. We stuck to our own church's children's groups.

Boys had the Cadets, not really sure what they got to do but I know they had yearly camping trips and would build model cars for organization-wide races so I think it was a sort of Boy Scout replacement with a healthy dose of Jesus sprinkled throughout.

Girls had the GEMS (Girls Everywhere Meeting the Savior), formerly the Calvinettes (and, as the GEMS organization became too liberal, advocating mock communions in meetings, it was replaced in my home church with the JOY club...Jesus, Others, You, the true Christian priority list), where we were able to earn badges (just like Girl Scouts!) ranging in topics from baking and bicycling to Psalms and evangelism. That wasn't the focus of our weekly meetings though; for the most part we would start with some hymns and/or patriotic songs; then we would move on to a review of the yearly theme, which included a given Bible passage and hymn which we were all to memorize and recite. One theme that I remember is "the perfect 9", about the Fruit of the Spirit. There were some "fun" speakers or something during the group meeting, generally giving a devotional; one particularly memorable year involved an intro to apologetics, which was described as being an attorney for the Word of God (why it would need legal assistance was a question my elementary-age self never thought to ask). The main group meeting would end with all of us kneeling, faces into our chairs, while the leader delivered a prayer; we were encouraged to volunteer to deliver up whatever requests fellow members asked for help with. Then we would split into age groups and learn some Bible stories/topic. Last, we'd finish with a craft/activity, depending what the theme of the evening/quarter was. Sometimes we learned sewing. We had a year on etiquette. Very typical female activities, with little to no physical exertion beyond going across the street and singing hymns at the neighboring retirement home on occasion.

I absolutely loved all of this. I was homeschooled; this was one of the few occasions I had for real social interaction with people my own age. I brought friends with me for all of the seven years that I was involved in GEMS. I never forgot to wear my scarf with all my badges on it.
It's only all these years later that I realize how much of an opportunity all of this was for those in authority over me to take advantage of my need for community and fill it full of Jesus, without leaving any room for me to ask any real questions. Praise the Lord (sorry) for university. Train up a child in the way she should go....and when she is grown, she will discover that it's all bullshit and join an atheist forum.

(Sorry for the rant. I think I'd suppressed a lot of memories about this and I'm just now remembering so much crap. I don't mean to hijack your post; hopefully it's at least a little interesting and/or relevant to the discussion.)
[+] 1 user Likes debna27's post