Awareness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-10-2014, 06:19 PM
Awareness
Do you think people notice religion more often when they are atheist or a theist?

How was it for you? Were you blind to how much religion is steeped in the world around us after you became an atheist? How much people lobby to get bills passed to benefit one group over another? Or do we only notice it because we actively pay attention?

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-10-2014, 06:26 PM
RE: Awareness
I notice it more now, it's like a fish out of water.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
21-10-2014, 06:27 PM
(21-10-2014 06:19 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Do you think people notice religion more often when they are atheist or a theist?

How was it for you? Were you blind to how much religion is steeped in the world around us after you became an atheist? How much people lobby to get bills passed to benefit one group over another? Or do we only notice it because we actively pay attention?
- bolded by me

If religion didn't exist the bolded portion would still be true.
[+] 1 user Likes Heywood Jahblome's post
21-10-2014, 07:04 PM
I definitely notice it more now. Before, it just blended in to the background of my life. Christians want to make some laws? Yeah, I agree with that, I'm a christian.

Being on the other side makes me so much more aware of the injustice involved. Also I pay more attention now. Not that I didn't pay attention while I was going to church, just that I think I'm more objective than I was. I see things a bit more clearly and try harder to see the other side's point of view.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 2 users Like Colourcraze's post
21-10-2014, 07:13 PM
I see religion all around me now that I've embraced my atheism.
21-10-2014, 08:24 PM
I used to just notice all of the arabs, but now that I'm an atheist I generally only notice the muslims.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
21-10-2014, 10:35 PM
(21-10-2014 06:27 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(21-10-2014 06:19 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Do you think people notice religion more often when they are atheist or a theist?

- bolded by me

I see, Perhaps I should had worded that a bit different. Re reading it after it pointed out, not quite what I had really meant,but, it don't matter too much. The overall idea is there enough to not have to nit pick at it.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
22-10-2014, 06:52 AM
I do not know if it is a sign of the times or me noticing it more, but I see tons of news stories about religious stuff these days.
22-10-2014, 08:55 AM
(21-10-2014 10:35 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  
(21-10-2014 06:27 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:   - bolded by me

I see, Perhaps I should had worded that a bit different. Re reading it after it pointed out, not quite what I had really meant,but, it don't matter too much. The overall idea is there enough to not have to nit pick at it.

I was thinking you meant to say "How much people lobby to get bills passed for religious reasons."

In answer to the OP, I definitely notice religion more as an atheist. I think as a theist it just seemed "right" so it didn't stand out as much then.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
22-10-2014, 09:17 AM
(21-10-2014 06:19 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  How was it for you? Were you blind to how much religion is steeped in the world around us after you became an atheist?

I've never had an epiphany of how saturated religion is in our culture, but I did have one when I was about 30 years old about how it's saturation is a result of nothing more than word-of-mouth. Nobody anywhere is interacting with any gods that are running about in our world. They are just being told there are gods and that they did this or that, or are responsible for this or that. We, all of us, were no different than the people of the movie Logan's Run, living in bubble cities believing the world outside was toxic and in ruin because that is what they had been told.

I had thought religion nothing but fable from a very young age. But it was that day, that small epiphany, that finally shed my last fear regarding religion. The fear that I might be getting it wrong somewhere and burn in hell. It ended my search for "truth." I realized, finally, I had already found it.
[+] 2 users Like TreeSapNest's post