26-05-2011, 05:31 PM

Awesome Picture of Evolutionary Family Trees
[Image: evo.gif]
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Sinex's post
26-05-2011, 10:48 PM
RE: Awesome Picture of Evolutionary Family Trees
Cool map.
But... I find it weird that such maps always end with humans...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-05-2011, 01:18 AM
This one ended with Neanderthal - extinct... Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
27-05-2011, 01:22 AM
(27-05-2011 01:18 AM)Filox Wrote:  This one ended with Neanderthal - extinct... Smile
Oh.. I see...
Misjudging from my part...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
30-05-2011, 01:20 AM
I wonder if the next mass extinction event will include humans... hmmmm...

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
30-05-2011, 06:48 AM

(30-05-2011 01:20 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  I wonder if the next mass extinction event will include humans... hmmmm...

We'll be the catalyst of it probably due to the environmental destruction we are causing. However, I doubt we'll be wiped out entirely... Undecided
30-05-2011, 07:28 AM
(30-05-2011 06:48 AM)Celestus87 Wrote:  
(30-05-2011 01:20 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  I wonder if the next mass extinction event will include humans... hmmmm...

We'll be the catalyst of it probably due to the environmental destruction we are causing. However, I doubt we'll be wiped out entirely... Undecided
Our development would slow down I guess.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post
30-05-2011, 07:46 AM

(30-05-2011 07:28 AM)The_observer Wrote:  
(30-05-2011 06:48 AM)Celestus87 Wrote:  

Our development would slow down I guess.

It's all a big causal relationship really (according to Al Gore and a few thousand others).

If we continue producing CO2, the temperature on Earth will increase.
If the temperature increases, the arctic ice-cap will melt.
If the arctic ice-cap melts, the global hot-air circulation system will be disrupted.
If that happens, the northern hemisphere will endure an artificial short-term ice-age.
And which hemisphere produces the most CO2 annually? You got that right! The northern one to a 80% degree in comparison to the southern one.
All those been said, you are actually spot on! We'll have a forced restart, rather than a forced format. Undecided
30-05-2011, 07:57 AM
I like to compare it to Equisetum. Thought to be as big as a sequoiatree in the Jurassic era it still survives today as a small weed in the grasslands. I can't pass a "Horsetail" -like it is called in Dutch- without thinking about that.
The message I get from Equisetum is "size may matter, but not in a way that you'll probably like or might appeal to your ego" Wink

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
30-05-2011, 08:11 AM

(30-05-2011 07:57 AM)The_observer Wrote:  I like to compare it to Equisetum. Thought to be as big as a sequoiatree in the Jurassic era it still survives today as a small weed in the grasslands. I can't pass a "Horsetail" -like it is called in Dutch- without thinking about that.
The message I get from Equisetum is "size may matter, but not in a way that you'll probably like or might appeal to your ego" Wink

This is an awesome plant! Anatomically, it seems ... well... alien. Mind-numbing really. To see something primitive as alien. It makes you wonder. Cool