Awesome car adventures

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-12-2013, 11:52 AM
Awesome car adventures
So my cousin owns her own business. She's got a Range Rover Vogue SE 2012 model. A lot of people confuse this with the smaller Range Rover Sport. No, it's the massive one. I love that car so much I fantasise regularly relishing my next opportunity to get behind the wheel.
Today she sent me on an errand to make a delivery....IN THE RANGE!!! I love technology and the Range has plenty packed in it. My cousin's got the adaptive cruise control (ACC) feature on it. As soon as I hit the highway I switched it on. Now I've had a long standing suspicion that it's got the ACC but never really thought much about it. I set it to maintain 120 kph (75 mph) and I just lean back and enjoy the ride. Then I catch up to some traffic in the highway and all of a sudden the car starts slowing down all on it's own. I had an orgasm right there as it slowed automatically to 80 kph (50 mph). Damn what a vehicle! Not to mention how many heads I turn when people see me rolling. This one time a security guard at a hospital asked me if it really was my car. I lied. I had to. I just couldn't let truth piss on my parade no matter how fake it was.

Anyway for the first time I reached a speed of 160 kph (100 mph). I'm a conservative driver. Not too big on speed. But the way 140 kph (87 mph) blew away like nothing...it spured me on a little further. Luckily there were no speed cameras.

Have you ever driven one of your dream cars? What was the experience like?

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes BlackMason's post
30-12-2013, 10:57 PM (This post was last modified: 30-12-2013 11:07 PM by Logisch.)
RE: Awesome car adventures
Best car I owned and recently sold was a 911 Super Carrera. Was my daily for 3 years. Loved it. Good power, fun handling, easy as hell to work on (once you got used to the CIS injection). It was even a blast in the snow. Bought it when it needed some insane TLC and restored it to mechanically fantastic condition. Sold it to a guy who retired from the restoration business in the UK, he moved to California, and the car is being transformed once again. Seeing it go away on the transport was sad.

Driving it every day took some of the mystique away from it though. If I could do it again I'd have it as a weekend car. It needed constant maintenance. 13 quarts of oil (had a dry sump), frequent valve adjustments once or twice a year and I flushed the transmission every season. Good car though. The 3.0L engines on the 911 are nearly bulletproof. They actually used a lot of the 930 parts to make those motors. Sold it with over 200,000 miles on it, still had good compression and ran like a quartz clock. A car is only as good as you maintain it Wink

I also had a really nice original 914. Gorgeous, original paint, interior, wheels. It's now Iowa with a happy new owner. I felt like a custodian trying to keep that car original. Sucked getting rid of them. But the new restoration project is a delight to have in the garage, can't wait to get it on the road. Wanted it since I was a kid. Unfortunately, hard to find them, and I wanted to go through it MY way, so I got the car that made the most sense for what I wanted. Some nights I just go out in the garage and have a cigar and stare at the fucker. I don't know if it's really hit home yet.

Range Rovers are great vehicles. I have never driven in one, but driven in them plenty of times. Local friend of mine owned a Ducati dealership here some years ago and all he drove on 4 wheels was Range Rovers. We had too much fun in that thing and man it took a beating.

One of the most amazing experiences was actually a father-son day. I wanted to go take my little Porsche 914 out for some fun. I drove it over the mountain and took it out for an autocross. I invited my parents to come watch and hang out. When I got there, they didn't show. Halfway through the day they showed up. I asked my dad if he wanted to go for a ride. He said no. I did a run, got back into the pits and he went, "Well.. okay... let's go!" so he put on his helmet and we went through 4 more runs together. Me and my dad don't see eye to eye on a lot of things. But if a car is part of the equation, we have fun. He had never raced, never gone to a trackday, never gone to an autocross. The look on his face was priceless. He had so much fucking fun. I still have quite a few pictures of us thanks to my Mom snagging photos. Those are memories I'll never forget. I drove the piss out of those cars.

You could say I'm a bit biased in the cars I've owned and restored, but shit man, if I'm only living once, I'm going to do it my way. I'm not going to post any public pics here but if you want to chat cars, I'm happy to show you some pics of my projects.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
31-12-2013, 04:54 AM (This post was last modified: 31-12-2013 05:43 AM by BlackMason.)
Alright so you're a Porsche man. I like em too. One of my buddies has a brother that collected them. They're rich folk so they can get whatever whenever. Interesting thing you said about making your SC an everyday car and it losing the mystique. That's something I've often pondered. How do you get enough driving time to be satisfied without wearing out the novelty?

I've never been in a Porsche. Closest I've come to tearing one up on a track was the need for speed game that featured only Porsches. Restoring cars must be a bank account destroyer.

Speaking about lots of fun in Range Rovers, did you guys go off road? I experimented with a Ford Ranger 4x4 a few weeks ago. Went off road but nothing needing extreme 4 wheel drive control. It was fun with the extra traction though.

These projects of yours, do you configure them to make loud tail pipe noise? I like an aggressive sounding car. Especially if it's representative of the power lurking beneath the hood. One of my favourite sounds is pretty much anything done by Mercedes' AMG branch on one of their 6 litres. V-motherfucking-12 bi-freakin-turbo baby!!

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
31-12-2013, 08:41 AM
That's a hard question to answer. I think taking the commute drive away would have been enough for me. Maybe commute once in a while, but when I go around town or go on a trip or have fun or on the weekends would have made it a lot more fun. The 914 was strictly for pleasure. It was a weekend/go have fun car.

Porsche cars are a lot of fun. My expertise with them is strictly in the air cooled 911s and 914s and 80s water cooled front engine cars like the 924/944. The thing I enjoy most is the steering feedback, especially on the 911. The brakes on my Super Carrera were out of this world, took hardly any effort to lock them up if I really wanted to get on them. It was nice to have a car that could stop that well. If you do a lot of the work yourself, it saves a ton of money. They primarily become expensive when you have a shop do all the work. I do all of my own rebuilds, makes it far more affordable for me.

Me and my buddy went offroad a few times, was pretty fun. I'm not a huge offroad guy but it was a pretty big blast.

Regarding exhaust... I did have the 911 straight piped for a while, but it became a bit overkill after a while and I went with a different exhaust. It was louder than stock but not too loud after that. Not sure what I'll do on the new project.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
31-12-2013, 08:45 AM
A friend of mine picked up a hitchhiker once. The hitchhiker scared my friend, so my friend decided to scare the hitchhiker....

...... he raced through a residential erea at 80 miles per hour. (120 km/h) The hitchhiker started screaming and begging for his life and when my friend stoped the car again, he jumped out and ran away.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
05-01-2014, 08:34 AM
Yeah... I don't pick up hitchhikers.