Awkward Moments Children's Bible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2015, 10:06 AM
RE: Awkward Moments Children's Bible
(06-05-2015 08:26 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(05-05-2015 12:47 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Some scholars believe the rib was chosen re: Eve because it was by Adam's side. If it was near the head area--she would be considered an equal to Adam and that was a no-no in biblical times. Have u read the Enuma Elish?

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Enuma_Elish

I take "She will be called wo-man because she came out of man" as a lovely statement not of mere equality, but of oneness. Sacred marriage is an awesome thing. My wife left an affirming greeting card for me on my desk this morning. She is awesome!

Jesus Christ did more for women in 3 years than the "enlightened" Greeks and Romans did in 1,000. Moses affirmed that daughters were to have an inheritance along with sons. Women judged Israel, leading it, even taking the glory in battle away from the men.

The Bible is not a patriarchal evil but affirms men and women as partners--from it's second chapter on.

1Cor14: 34-35 (NIV)
Quote:34 Women[f] should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says. 35 If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.[g]

1Tim2: 11-15 (NIV)
Quote:11 A woman[a] should learn in quietness and full submission. 12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man;[b] she must be quiet. 13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. 15 But women[c] will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety.

This 2nd passage in particular makes me LOL because sooo many protestant churches have female pastors.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2015, 12:42 PM
(06-05-2015 03:03 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(06-05-2015 02:25 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  First, I said beyond "equals" to "oneness". Second, I am celebrating my 22nd anniversary, Lord willing, this fall, to a very fine Christian gal who tries to adhere to this standard and fails epically and often, just as I try to live up to my standard, which is harder than submission/responsiveness, to "lay down my life for my wife, all my rights, my everything, just as Christ loved the church and died for it." THANK GOD He put something in about submissiveness in relationships--we're really bad at it. Husbands in the Bible are to submit to their WIVES ALSO, and to Christians they're not married to, to their elders, the government, etc. It's hard, and sometimes it feels like it sucks. Yeah.

You can treat me like the anti-feminist, wife-beating punk you may have in mind to play me on TV, or you can talk to me like a real person and not some cardboard cutout. I know that's tough on a forum where there is no non-verbal communication--but--the same passage in the Bible teaches that men are to submit to everyone, including the Mrs. But God is good at nagging us to do what we have trouble doing.

First, Congrats on your 22nd anniversary. Smile Second, I'm not treating you as an anti-feminist, wife-beating punk--I am simply stating what it says in the Bible. I am not aware of any passages that say husbands should submit to their wives? I am not trying to be rude--I simply don't know of any--that doesn't mean they aren't there. Can you tell me what passages say that so I can go and look them up? I used to be a christian and enjoyed reading the Bible when i thought it was God's Word. As an atheist, I still enjoy reading the Bible (for literary/cultural/historical value).

In this instance, I was thinking of the words that immediately precede "Wives, be subject..." in Ephesians 5. I wish everyone would read those words, too.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-05-2015, 12:57 PM
(07-05-2015 12:42 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(06-05-2015 03:03 PM)jennybee Wrote:  First, Congrats on your 22nd anniversary. Smile Second, I'm not treating you as an anti-feminist, wife-beating punk--I am simply stating what it says in the Bible. I am not aware of any passages that say husbands should submit to their wives? I am not trying to be rude--I simply don't know of any--that doesn't mean they aren't there. Can you tell me what passages say that so I can go and look them up? I used to be a christian and enjoyed reading the Bible when i thought it was God's Word. As an atheist, I still enjoy reading the Bible (for literary/cultural/historical value).

In this instance, I was thinking of the words that immediately precede "Wives, be subject..." in Ephesians 5. I wish everyone would read those words, too.

I don't see your point? God is telling women to submit to their husbands. An almighty being is telling women to submit or else face eternal hell fire.
07-05-2015, 01:04 PM
(07-05-2015 12:57 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(07-05-2015 12:42 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  In this instance, I was thinking of the words that immediately precede "Wives, be subject..." in Ephesians 5. I wish everyone would read those words, too.

I don't see your point? God is telling women to submit to their husbands. An almighty being is telling women to submit or else face eternal hell fire.

Are you certain that you know your Bible? Wink

Here, is something that I think you will find quite funny, in kinda creepy way, but still.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
07-05-2015, 01:10 PM
(07-05-2015 12:42 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  In this instance, I was thinking of the words that immediately precede "Wives, be subject..." in Ephesians 5. I wish everyone would read those words, too.

NIV: Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.
KJV: Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.
NASB: and be subject to one another in the fear of Christ.

Do you actually think that mitigates the fact that it then goes on to say that wives must be subservient to their husbands? You appear to want to stop at verse 21 and say that the chapter preaches equality and ignore that it quite plainly goes on to say that whatever else everybody may be subject to, women are additionally subject to men.

You complain that atheists take quotes out of context but then go on to do the same thing. You must be able to pick bushels of cherries daily at that rate.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 5 users Like unfogged's post
07-05-2015, 01:23 PM
(07-05-2015 01:04 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(07-05-2015 12:57 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I don't see your point? God is telling women to submit to their husbands. An almighty being is telling women to submit or else face eternal hell fire.

Are you certain that you know your Bible? Wink

Here, is something that I think you will find quite funny, in kinda creepy way, but still.

Right but underneath "submit to each other under the fear of God" it talks about just how that is to take place: a woman submits to her husband; a husband to christ. It does talk about treating women "nicely" but it peppers the passage with submission of women to men.

In terms of Colossians: here is the line before husbands should treat wives nicely:

"Wives, submit yourselves to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord."

And in 1 Peter 3: see beginning of passage:

"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. 4 Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight. 5 For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to adorn themselves. They submitted themselves to their own husbands, 6 like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her lord. You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear."

And in 1 Corinthians 7:

"A woman is bound to her husband as long as he lives. But if her husband dies, she is free to marry anyone she wishes, but he must belong to the Lord. 40 In my judgment, she is happier if she stays as she is..."
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
07-05-2015, 01:31 PM
(07-05-2015 01:23 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(07-05-2015 01:04 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Are you certain that you know your Bible? Wink

Right but underneath "submit to each other under the fear of God" it talks about just how that is to take place: a woman submits to her husband; a husband to christ. It does talk about treating women "nicely" but it peppers the passage with submission of women to men.

In terms of Colossians: here is the line before husbands should treat wives nicely:

"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. 4 Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight. 5 For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to adorn themselves. They submitted themselves to their own husbands, 6 like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her lord. You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear."

And in 1 Corinthians 7:

"A woman is bound to her husband as long as he lives. But if her husband dies, she is free to marry anyone she wishes, but he must belong to the Lord. 40 In my judgment, she is happier if she stays as she is..."

That's why I wrote that you could find it funny.

Bible simply don't say that wife and husband are equal, though apologists still are trying to convince others that it does. Results as you saw can be quite, let's say entertaining.

And as we are on such topic already then I think you will find this book interesting.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
07-05-2015, 01:33 PM
(07-05-2015 01:31 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(07-05-2015 01:23 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Right but underneath "submit to each other under the fear of God" it talks about just how that is to take place: a woman submits to her husband; a husband to christ. It does talk about treating women "nicely" but it peppers the passage with submission of women to men.

And in 1 Corinthians 7:

That's why I wrote that you could find it funny.

Bible simply don't say that wife and husband are equal, though apologists still are trying to convince others that it does. Results as you saw can be quite, let's say entertaining.

And as we are on such topic already then I think you will find this book interesting.

Yeah, I always kind of thought God talked out of both sides of his mouth concerning women in the Bible. In the Bible, women were either saintly or whores lol no in between for God No
07-05-2015, 01:35 PM
(07-05-2015 12:57 PM)jennybee Wrote:  

So what are you waiting for? Proof that the almighty being isn't a figment of some deranged person's imagination??? Get in the kitchen!

Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
07-05-2015, 01:37 PM
(07-05-2015 01:35 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(07-05-2015 12:57 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I don't see your point? God is telling women to submit to their husbands. An almighty being is telling women to submit or else face eternal hell fire.

So what are you waiting for? Proof that the almighty being isn't a figment of some deranged person's imagination??? Get in the kitchen!

Tongue

Lol trust me--you don't want me in the kitchen I can burn water or give you food poisoning--either or Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post