Awkward Moments Children's Bible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2015, 01:43 PM
RE: Awkward Moments Children's Bible
(07-05-2015 01:33 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(07-05-2015 01:31 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  That's why I wrote that you could find it funny.

Bible simply don't say that wife and husband are equal, though apologists still are trying to convince others that it does. Results as you saw can be quite, let's say entertaining.

And as we are on such topic already then I think you will find this book interesting.

Yeah, I always kind of thought God talked out of both sides of his mouth concerning women in the Bible. In the Bible, women were either saintly or whores lol no in between for God No

Maybe it's Asherah fault? Maybe he was good guy in the beginning, but divorce with Asherah (or erasing her from the pantheon) made him that angry guy we know? Smile

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2015, 01:46 PM
(07-05-2015 01:43 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(07-05-2015 01:33 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Yeah, I always kind of thought God talked out of both sides of his mouth concerning women in the Bible. In the Bible, women were either saintly or whores lol no in between for God No

Maybe it's Asherah fault? Maybe he was good guy in the beginning, but divorce with Asherah (or erasing her from the pantheon) made him that angry guy we know? Smile

well supposedly there was Lilith...the only cool chick in the entire freakin' Bible Tongue edit: Well, jewish mythology but u know what I mean Tongue

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
07-05-2015, 02:02 PM
(07-05-2015 01:46 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(07-05-2015 01:43 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Maybe it's Asherah fault? Maybe he was good guy in the beginning, but divorce with Asherah (or erasing her from the pantheon) made him that angry guy we know? Smile

well supposedly there was Lilith...the only cool chick in the entire freakin' Bible Tongue edit: Well, jewish mythology but u know what I mean Tongue

But wasn't Lilith Adam's wife? If so then god followed bro code and didn't hit on his best friend chick. Or maybe he did?

But to be serious, representation of woman's in Bible fits with the character of it's writers I think, and is no surprise that they thought that wives should submit themselves to their husbands. It was spirit of the age.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
07-05-2015, 02:47 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2015 02:53 PM by dirtstar.)
(22-04-2015 01:19 AM)Noelani Wrote:  Horus D. Gilgamesh is sending boxes full of children's Bibles for distribution in Oklahoma schools. It is the one and only time that I will ever be jealous of children growing up in Oklahoma.
http://www.awkwardmomentsbible.com/open-...tt-pruitt/

What's not to be jealous of? Weeping I found out recently that just 30 min before class starts at my son's school on Friday's (in OK) they have a Christ for Kids "voluntary" optional gathering where cotton candy, popcorn, and other surprises can be had along with a "guest speaker". I asked about the guest speakers and was told typically it's a local pastor. Hobo

I've reported them to the FFRF but since it's "voluntary" and it's not during class time it doesn't appear there's any legal action that can be taken. Sad
07-05-2015, 11:43 PM
(07-05-2015 02:47 PM)dirtstar Wrote:  
(22-04-2015 01:19 AM)Noelani Wrote:  Horus D. Gilgamesh is sending boxes full of children's Bibles for distribution in Oklahoma schools. It is the one and only time that I will ever be jealous of children growing up in Oklahoma.
http://www.awkwardmomentsbible.com/open-...tt-pruitt/

What's not to be jealous of? Weeping I found out recently that just 30 min before class starts at my son's school on Friday's (in OK) they have a Christ for Kids "voluntary" optional gathering where cotton candy, popcorn, and other surprises can be had along with a "guest speaker". I asked about the guest speakers and was told typically it's a local pastor. Hobo

I've reported them to the FFRF but since it's "voluntary" and it's not during class time it doesn't appear there's any legal action that can be taken. Sad

Training the kiddy-poos to take candy from strangers huh? What could go wrong?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
08-05-2015, 10:00 AM
(07-05-2015 01:10 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(07-05-2015 12:42 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  In this instance, I was thinking of the words that immediately precede "Wives, be subject..." in Ephesians 5. I wish everyone would read those words, too.

NIV: Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.
KJV: Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.
NASB: and be subject to one another in the fear of Christ.

Do you actually think that mitigates the fact that it then goes on to say that wives must be subservient to their husbands? You appear to want to stop at verse 21 and say that the chapter preaches equality and ignore that it quite plainly goes on to say that whatever else everybody may be subject to, women are additionally subject to men.

You complain that atheists take quotes out of context but then go on to do the same thing. You must be able to pick bushels of cherries daily at that rate.

It doesn't need to mitigate a wife's submission because a wife's submission isn't an evil--all are to submit to one another, as in the words immediately proceeding "wives, submit..." and then, as I've pointed out elsewhere on this thread, the Bible tells people things that go against their sin natures. Use your creative powers of thinking here. Is what the men are told an unmitigated evil? Well, is it?

The men are told to "Beat their wives unless they listen, order them about, lead them mercilessly... right?" No, they are told to "love their wives, even unto dying for them and giving up all their rights, as Christ loved the church".

I'm a complementarian so I believe in different roles and giftings along with equality. Men and women are biologically different as we know. They compete in different groupings in the Olympics, which isn't an evil separation but rather, fair.

Men are told to love their wives because men struggle in this area. Women are told to submit to their husbands for the same reason, because they struggle in this area.

We're told in the Bible to avoid excessive drinking, stealing, etc.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-05-2015, 10:22 AM
(08-05-2015 10:00 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Men are told to love their wives because men struggle in this area. Women are told to submit to their husbands for the same reason, because they struggle in this area.

If this is explicitly called out, are you saying that women have less problems loving their husbands, and men have less problems submitting to their wives?
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
08-05-2015, 10:34 AM
(08-05-2015 10:00 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(07-05-2015 01:10 PM)unfogged Wrote:  NIV: Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.
KJV: Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.
NASB: and be subject to one another in the fear of Christ.

Do you actually think that mitigates the fact that it then goes on to say that wives must be subservient to their husbands? You appear to want to stop at verse 21 and say that the chapter preaches equality and ignore that it quite plainly goes on to say that whatever else everybody may be subject to, women are additionally subject to men.

You complain that atheists take quotes out of context but then go on to do the same thing. You must be able to pick bushels of cherries daily at that rate.

It doesn't need to mitigate a wife's submission because a wife's submission isn't an evil--all are to submit to one another, as in the words immediately proceeding "wives, submit..." and then, as I've pointed out elsewhere on this thread, the Bible tells people things that go against their sin natures. Use your creative powers of thinking here. Is what the men are told an unmitigated evil? Well, is it?

The men are told to "Beat their wives unless they listen, order them about, lead them mercilessly... right?" No, they are told to "love their wives, even unto dying for them and giving up all their rights, as Christ loved the church".

I'm a complementarian so I believe in different roles and giftings along with equality. Men and women are biologically different as we know. They compete in different groupings in the Olympics, which isn't an evil separation but rather, fair.

Men are told to love their wives because men struggle in this area. Women are told to submit to their husbands for the same reason, because they struggle in this area.

We're told in the Bible to avoid excessive drinking, stealing, etc.

You're also not supposed to touch the dead carcass of a pig (although i don't know hwy you would want to Consider ) and you're not supposed to cut the hair on the sides of your head or clip the edges of your beard and you're not supposed to wear clothing woven of more than one type of cloth. Do you follow these rules as well? I mean, at what point do you stop following these things--or should you keep adhering to everything? At some point it becomes a little silly in modern times, don't you think?

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
08-05-2015, 10:37 AM
(08-05-2015 10:00 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  It doesn't need to mitigate a wife's submission because a wife's submission isn't an evil--all are to submit to one another,

But women are being told to submit above and beyond the general instruction to submit to one another. That general instruction makes no sense anyway; being told to respect one another, or to love one another, or some such directive would make sense. Being told to "submit" to one another doesn't accomplish anything.

Quote:as in the words immediately proceeding "wives, submit..." and then, as I've pointed out elsewhere on this thread, the Bible tells people things that go against their sin natures. Use your creative powers of thinking here. Is what the men are told an unmitigated evil? Well, is it?

"sin natures" Laughat

Men being told they should love their wives is not evil. Women being singled out and told to submit to men above and beyond any general guidelines given the everybody is evil.

This is supposed to be the inspired word of an omniscient, omnipotent deity. Why should it require creative thinking to understand it? Do you not understand that the creative thinking that is required means we have to look at the words and determine, using our own understanding and reasoning, what they must mean in order to create a moral society? It means that we aren't getting anything from the text that we can't figure out for ourselves anyway.

You are right to stress the "submit to one another" bit, as badly phrased as that is, and twist the "wives submit" part to try to get something good out of it. The thing is, you aren't doing it because of what the bible says, you are doing it because at some level you know that the literal instructions don't create a society that we would consider egalitarian or moral in any meaningful sense. Now you just need to drop the bullshit as the starting point as it just hinders progress.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
08-05-2015, 01:29 PM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2015 02:31 PM by Commonsensei.)
(05-05-2015 10:00 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Have you been in the American south to see the exposed, rich, red clay that is high in carbon and predominant in the topography there? That is the closest we can get to the Hebrew to English "dust" we're discussing here.

Oh that makes soOOo much more sense.

I am familiar with the clay version. When I was child that was the version I was told. In my teenage years i was told it was dust. Ether way the clam is, making an inanimate object animate.

I'm feel a little concerned for you. How you can't see this is delusional. But let me step back a little. Maybe I need to pick something that we both can look in the same light.

In the story Pinocchio, an inanimate wooden puppet becomes "animate", and later a real boy. Pinocchio gets his life threw a magical fairy. Now I'm pretty sure you are familiar with this story, being a farther. And it also being a Disney classic. (If not; a must see.) Now we both (I assume) look at this story and see this is a work of fiction. But why? What if someone REALLY believed Pinocchio was real?
Both the bible and Pinocchio have.
Talking animals: Check
Something of the Earth Coming to life: Check
Magical being: Check
Moral distinctions: Check
People getting eaten by whales: Check
In the end get a grand reward for being good.: Check

Do you see where i'm going? What if instead of the blue faerie we said God was the one that gave life to Pinocchio? Dose that make this Pinocchio story true now? What if we never knew the author of Pinocchio and said god wrote them. Dose it make these events more realistic?

(05-05-2015 10:00 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  The rib also makes sense to me in two ways - one, we are still working to catch up to our Heavenly Father and make new organs and new life from the DNA of cells. Adam's rib had genetic material in it but 2) as important, Adam would have been "pierced in his side" for his bride. The proof of Jesus's death was when He was pierced in His side and blood and water flowed.

Shocking

So why do you think he just didn't use the clay again? It seemed to work the first time. Why tare out a piece of his creations body. You then make this huge jump to Jesus. In this story this would make God a villain. He knew his creation was going to fall to temptation. And he didn't do anything about it. And that he was going to have to kill himself to appease himself, for the events that he was starting. Stay on topic please.

(05-05-2015 10:00 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  As my children got a little older, they came to understand evolutionary science, older dating(s) for humans and plants, etc. as you mentioned. They are able to say, "The Bible claims that and science agrees that..." as they build consensus in harmonious, frank discussions with others.
A least it's a step in the right direction.

(05-05-2015 10:00 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I think the issue here is different. You seem to be taking a "Gosh, those Bible authors were ignorant about reality" stance. After many years of Bible study I remain convinced that the Bible writers were extraordinary in many areas of discourse from the natural world to philosophy, and of course, religion.

You seem the be taking a "Gosh those bible authors were infallible." stance. After many years of Bible Study I have become unconvinced that the Bible writers were extraordinary in any area of the natural world to philosophy, or the had knowledge of the course that this religion was going to go.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post