Awkward Moments Children's Bible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-05-2015, 10:02 AM
RE: Awkward Moments Children's Bible
(08-05-2015 01:29 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  
(05-05-2015 10:00 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Have you been in the American south to see the exposed, rich, red clay that is high in carbon and predominant in the topography there? That is the closest we can get to the Hebrew to English "dust" we're discussing here.

Oh that makes soOOo much more sense.

I am familiar with the clay version. When I was child that was the version I was told. In my teenage years i was told it was dust. Ether way the clam is, making an inanimate object animate.

I'm feel a little concerned for you. How you can't see this is delusional. But let me step back a little. Maybe I need to pick something that we both can look in the same light.

In the story Pinocchio, an inanimate wooden puppet becomes "animate", and later a real boy. Pinocchio gets his life threw a magical fairy. Now I'm pretty sure you are familiar with this story, being a farther. And it also being a Disney classic. (If not; a must see.) Now we both (I assume) look at this story and see this is a work of fiction. But why? What if someone REALLY believed Pinocchio was real?
Both the bible and Pinocchio have.
Talking animals: Check
Something of the Earth Coming to life: Check
Magical being: Check
Moral distinctions: Check
People getting eaten by whales: Check
In the end get a grand reward for being good.: Check

Do you see where i'm going? What if instead of the blue faerie we said God was the one that gave life to Pinocchio? Dose that make this Pinocchio story true now? What if we never knew the author of Pinocchio and said god wrote them. Dose it make these events more realistic?

(05-05-2015 10:00 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  The rib also makes sense to me in two ways - one, we are still working to catch up to our Heavenly Father and make new organs and new life from the DNA of cells. Adam's rib had genetic material in it but 2) as important, Adam would have been "pierced in his side" for his bride. The proof of Jesus's death was when He was pierced in His side and blood and water flowed.

Shocking

So why do you think he just didn't use the clay again? It seemed to work the first time. Why tare out a piece of his creations body. You then make this huge jump to Jesus. In this story this would make God a villain. He knew his creation was going to fall to temptation. And he didn't do anything about it. And that he was going to have to kill himself to appease himself, for the events that he was starting. Stay on topic please.

(05-05-2015 10:00 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  As my children got a little older, they came to understand evolutionary science, older dating(s) for humans and plants, etc. as you mentioned. They are able to say, "The Bible claims that and science agrees that..." as they build consensus in harmonious, frank discussions with others.
A least it's a step in the right direction.

(05-05-2015 10:00 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I think the issue here is different. You seem to be taking a "Gosh, those Bible authors were ignorant about reality" stance. After many years of Bible study I remain convinced that the Bible writers were extraordinary in many areas of discourse from the natural world to philosophy, and of course, religion.

You seem the be taking a "Gosh those bible authors were infallible." stance. After many years of Bible Study I have become unconvinced that the Bible writers were extraordinary in any area of the natural world to philosophy, or the had knowledge of the course that this religion was going to go.

I think the Bible readers of past millennia would have trouble understanding DNA, RNA, etc. Do you disagree?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2015, 10:04 AM
(08-05-2015 10:22 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(08-05-2015 10:00 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Men are told to love their wives because men struggle in this area. Women are told to submit to their husbands for the same reason, because they struggle in this area.

If this is explicitly called out, are you saying that women have less problems loving their husbands, and men have less problems submitting to their wives?

No, I disagree. I'm saying women have trouble with submission--this concept is also in Genesis as "the man will lead but you will have a desire to usurp" is how I've heard different Hebrew scholars describe one prophecy shared in the Fall.

I'm also saying men need to be admonished to show more love for their wives. Not just agape but romance and etc.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-05-2015, 12:05 PM
(11-05-2015 10:04 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(08-05-2015 10:22 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  If this is explicitly called out, are you saying that women have less problems loving their husbands, and men have less problems submitting to their wives?

No, I disagree. I'm saying women have trouble with submission--this concept is also in Genesis as "the man will lead but you will have a desire to usurp" is how I've heard different Hebrew scholars describe one prophecy shared in the Fall.

I'm also saying men need to be admonished to show more love for their wives. Not just agape but romance and etc.

I'm getting confused.

Are you saying that only women need to submit to their husbands, then? Or are you saying that both do, but women need to more, or something?

Are you saying that only men need to be admonished to show more love to their wives? Or Are you saying that men need to do it more than women?
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
11-05-2015, 12:20 PM
Q is confused, so I would say that everyone else should not worry if they do not completely understand.Sadcryface

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
11-05-2015, 12:23 PM
(08-05-2015 10:34 AM)jennybee Wrote:  ...words..
Hush, woman. Men folk are talkin'.
[+] 2 users Like Clockwork's post
11-05-2015, 12:25 PM
(11-05-2015 12:23 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(08-05-2015 10:34 AM)jennybee Wrote:  ...words..
Hush, woman. Men folk are talkin'.

There I go forgetting my biblical place again Facepalm Please don't stone me Thumbsup
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
11-05-2015, 12:31 PM
(11-05-2015 12:25 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(11-05-2015 12:23 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  Hush, woman. Men folk are talkin'.

There I go forgetting my biblical place again Facepalm Please don't stone me Thumbsup

Well, Bible is quite harsh in regard to this, so it's not like we have a choice.

Or it isn't?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
11-05-2015, 01:14 PM
(11-05-2015 12:31 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(11-05-2015 12:25 PM)jennybee Wrote:  There I go forgetting my biblical place again Facepalm Please don't stone me Thumbsup

Well, Bible is quite harsh in regard to this, so it's not like we have a choice.

Or it isn't?
Since we're not sure, and I didn't get get a voice from heaven, how about instead of stoning her we just get her stoned?
[+] 2 users Like Clockwork's post
11-05-2015, 01:17 PM
(11-05-2015 01:14 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(11-05-2015 12:31 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Well, Bible is quite harsh in regard to this, so it's not like we have a choice.

Or it isn't?
Since we're not sure, and I didn't get get a voice from heaven, how about instead of stoning her we just get her stoned?

lol Smokin
11-05-2015, 01:20 PM
(11-05-2015 01:14 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(11-05-2015 12:31 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Well, Bible is quite harsh in regard to this, so it's not like we have a choice.

Or it isn't?

Well, prophets from "Dogma" were smoking weed if I recall corectly so I think our kind of stoning also won't be considered blaspehmy by god(des) Smile

(11-05-2015 01:17 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(11-05-2015 01:14 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  Since we're not sure, and I didn't get get a voice from heaven, how about instead of stoning her we just get her stoned?

lol Smokin

You're saved. God indeed works in mysterious ways. Now go and sin no more Smile

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.