Awkward Moments Children's Bible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2015, 09:24 AM
RE: Awkward Moments Children's Bible
(23-04-2015 10:44 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I'm saying there is some content in books and films, religious or no, that may not be appropriate for children.

You therefore obviously restricted your own childrens' perusal of the bible, either by removing pages or telling them not to read certain passages. Commendable. I don't see most of religious society following your example, though.

Maybe you didn't, either.

Tsk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2015, 09:26 AM
(24-04-2015 08:55 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(24-04-2015 08:31 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I'm mature enough to say someone has done something detestable without hating the person. If I hated all people who've done detestable actions, I'd hate myself and all persons--except One.

I'm glad u r able to do that. But many christians can't and they use The Bible to back themselves up. God has done some pretty detestable things in the Bible.

Funny thing about using Bible to justify hate or disgust is not following god laws such as ones written in Levictus - clothes, tatoos and rest of it.
As for god doing detestable thing it's amuses me to no end that there are people claiming that we can't judge god, or saying that flood was justified, etc.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
24-04-2015, 09:37 AM
(24-04-2015 09:26 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(24-04-2015 08:55 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I'm glad u r able to do that. But many christians can't and they use The Bible to back themselves up. God has done some pretty detestable things in the Bible.

Funny thing about using Bible to justify hate or disgust is not following god laws such as ones written in Levictus - clothes, tatoos and rest of it.
As for god doing detestable thing it's amuses me to no end that there are people claiming that we can't judge god, or saying that flood was justified, etc.

You can make the Bible say whatever you want it to say.
24-04-2015, 09:44 AM
(24-04-2015 09:37 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(24-04-2015 09:26 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Funny thing about using Bible to justify hate or disgust is not following god laws such as ones written in Levictus - clothes, tatoos and rest of it.

You can make the Bible say whatever you want it to say.

Of course. As Shaw said: “No man ever believes that the Bible means what it says: He is always convinced that it says what he means”.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
24-04-2015, 09:50 AM
(22-04-2015 02:37 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  And no, I understand there are many Jews who don't object to some Christian concepts being taught in schools or vice versa since virtue is... virtue.

The question is, would you like Jewish doctrine being taught in public schools? Y'know, like the rejection of the Messiah?

Once you understand your objection to that, you'll understand the Establishment Clause a little better.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
24-04-2015, 10:22 AM
(24-04-2015 08:31 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I'm mature enough to say someone has done something detestable without hating the person. If I hated all people who've done detestable actions, I'd hate myself and all persons--except One.

You'd have to hate him, too. Creating Hell as an eternal punishment ... punishing children for the "sins" of their fathers ... meting out death to every human who ever lived as the result of an applebite ... such an unjust, unforgiving being, should he exist, would be worthy only of calumny and excoriation.

"Detestable" is far too weak a word for such an evil conception of deity as the one you apparently worship.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
24-04-2015, 10:30 AM
(24-04-2015 10:22 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  

You'd have to hate him, too. Creating Hell as an eternal punishment ... punishing children for the "sins" of their fathers ... meting out death to every human who ever lived as the result of an applebite ... such an unjust, unforgiving being, should he exist, would be worthy only of calumny and excoriation.

"Detestable" is far too weak a word for such an evil conception of deity as the one you apparently worship.

Oh but he loves god even with all those detestable actions attributed to him/her/it. The only way you could love a genocidal bigot leader is to be morally bankrupt, insane, or require imaginary father figures to get through each day (so again - insane).

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 1 user Likes Timber1025's post
24-04-2015, 11:12 AM
(24-04-2015 10:30 AM)Timber1025 Wrote:  Oh but he loves god even with all those detestable actions attributed to him/her/it. The only way you could love a genocidal bigot leader is to be morally bankrupt, insane, or require imaginary father figures to get through each day (so again - insane).

I regard faith in, and worship of, the Abrahamic god, evil as he is, to be a form of Stockholm Syndrome.
[+] 5 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
24-04-2015, 12:25 PM
(24-04-2015 08:37 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Do you consider me a real person with real feelings, desires and ideas or as some type of debate robot only?

I do what I preach and vice versa or at least try to. From an early age, my children learned the Bible with their parents. We would say euphemisms like "so-and-so was very mean to so-and-so and hurt them" rather than get into rape and what a rape is at a tender age. Give me a break.

Your concerns underscore the very nature of this debate. That the Bible is a source of contention when talking about influencing children not only because it's a religious text but because it touches on mature themes. And?

I get that. I'm not saying they are appropriate for children. I'm commenting specifically on your use of the word indoctrination. Do you feel that if you were to touch on these things first, that it would negatively impact the indoctrination? What if you were teaching an adult and not a kid (who was mature enough for the material)?

No, you start with the happy parts, get them hooked, and then bust out the apologetics to stave off the questions and ugly parts. The fact that you were talking about kids gives you a convenient excuse, but you're not going to bring up God-sanctioned genocides in a conversion spiel unless the person asks you about it.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
24-04-2015, 12:31 PM
(24-04-2015 12:25 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(24-04-2015 08:37 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Do you consider me a real person with real feelings, desires and ideas or as some type of debate robot only?

I do what I preach and vice versa or at least try to. From an early age, my children learned the Bible with their parents. We would say euphemisms like "so-and-so was very mean to so-and-so and hurt them" rather than get into rape and what a rape is at a tender age. Give me a break.

Your concerns underscore the very nature of this debate. That the Bible is a source of contention when talking about influencing children not only because it's a religious text but because it touches on mature themes. And?

I get that. I'm not saying they are appropriate for children. I'm commenting specifically on your use of the word indoctrination. Do you feel that if you were to touch on these things first, that it would negatively impact the indoctrination? What if you were teaching an adult and not a kid (who was mature enough for the material)?

No, you start with the happy parts, get them hooked, and then bust out the apologetics to stave off the questions and ugly parts. The fact that you were talking about kids gives you a convenient excuse, but you're not going to bring up God-sanctioned genocides in a conversion spiel unless the person asks you about it.

Most brainwashing starts young--it has to. Gotta scare them with hell and everlasting torture and ingrain that in them before they even have a chance to think for themselves.
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post