Awkward Moments Children's Bible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2015, 12:46 PM
RE: Awkward Moments Children's Bible
(24-04-2015 12:31 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(24-04-2015 12:25 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I get that. I'm not saying they are appropriate for children. I'm commenting specifically on your use of the word indoctrination. Do you feel that if you were to touch on these things first, that it would negatively impact the indoctrination? What if you were teaching an adult and not a kid (who was mature enough for the material)?

No, you start with the happy parts, get them hooked, and then bust out the apologetics to stave off the questions and ugly parts. The fact that you were talking about kids gives you a convenient excuse, but you're not going to bring up God-sanctioned genocides in a conversion spiel unless the person asks you about it.

Most brainwashing starts young--it has to. Gotta scare them with hell and everlasting torture and ingrain that in them before they even have a chance to think for themselves.

Quite true. Yet I think the main suspect would be fear of death rather than being afraid of eternal damnation. Also one could argue that religion is now more about tradition and sense of belonging, which is the case in my country at least. Hardly anyone thinks that hell is real, or that church have much to say about ethics and morality, but church view on homosexuality or abortion finds many supporters.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
24-04-2015, 12:50 PM
(24-04-2015 12:46 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(24-04-2015 12:31 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Most brainwashing starts young--it has to. Gotta scare them with hell and everlasting torture and ingrain that in them before they even have a chance to think for themselves.

Quite true. Yet I think the main suspect would be fear of death rather than being afraid of eternal damnation. Also one could argue that religion is now more about tradition and sense of belonging, which is the case in my country at least. Hardly anyone thinks that hell is real, or that church have much to say about ethics and morality, but church view on homosexuality or abortion finds many supporters.

I know many christians who are petrified of hell--and I mean petrified. They even have hell houses here to scare you into jesus' *loving* embrace. I agree with you though--religion is also about tradition and belonging--which is also why people have trouble leaving the church.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
24-04-2015, 01:01 PM
(24-04-2015 12:50 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(24-04-2015 12:46 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Quite true. Yet I think the main suspect would be fear of death rather than being afraid of eternal damnation. Also one could argue that religion is now more about tradition and sense of belonging, which is the case in my country at least. Hardly anyone thinks that hell is real, or that church have much to say about ethics and morality, but church view on homosexuality or abortion finds many supporters.

I know many christians who are petrified of hell--and I mean petrified. They even have hell houses here to scare you into jesus' *loving* embrace. I agree with you though--religion is also about tradition and belonging--which is also why people have trouble leaving the church.

I never met someone seriously afraid of hell, but it means nothing in the grand scheme ot things. Also I heard about hell houses, and I must say they are creepy. I am more than happy that I was not subjected to those kind of evangelization.

Tradition and belonging - if church tradition weren't in line with trying to push one values on others I would have no problem with it. As for the leaving the church I don't think this is real issue seeing as much of Poland believers are lukewarm at best about church teachings, I see problem with government - which seems to think that 95% catholics is actual number of believers - forcing religious values on others.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
24-04-2015, 01:22 PM
(24-04-2015 12:31 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Most brainwashing starts young--it has to. Gotta scare them with hell and everlasting torture and ingrain that in them before they even have a chance to think for themselves.

My wife (Christian) acknowledged this when we were discussing me not believing and how to raise our girls. She knows that our daughters merely knowing that I don't believe and that belief is optional jeopardizes their faith. I think that should be incredibly telling.

If God/the Holy Spirit does what she says he/it does, me not being Christian shouldn't matter, but she knows that it does.
24-04-2015, 01:30 PM
(24-04-2015 01:22 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  

My wife (Christian) acknowledged this when we were discussing me not believing and how to raise our girls. She knows that our daughters merely knowing that I don't believe and that belief is optional jeopardizes their faith. I think that should be incredibly telling.

If God/the Holy Spirit does what she says he/it does, me not being Christian shouldn't matter, but she knows that it does.

I can honestly say as an adult woman now--I wish one of my parents didn't believe. And I know my parents were trying to do the best they could with what they believed to be true. They were brainwashed too, after all. If your parents tell you something is real--why wouldn't you believe them? I think your girls are lucky to have you leaving the trapdoor open for them.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
24-04-2015, 01:31 PM
(24-04-2015 01:22 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  

Just knowing that it's all right to question can have a huge impact, faith can be incredibly frail when it's not in a sheltered environment.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
24-04-2015, 02:09 PM
(24-04-2015 01:31 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(24-04-2015 01:22 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  My wife (Christian) acknowledged this when we were discussing me not believing and how to raise our girls. She knows that our daughters merely knowing that I don't believe and that belief is optional jeopardizes their faith. I think that should be incredibly telling.

Just knowing that it's all right to question can have a huge impact, faith can be incredibly frail when it's not in a sheltered environment.

On the other hand if one feels that his faith is questioned too much it could led to further sheltering of one beliefs.

Mikhail Bakunin.
24-04-2015, 03:58 PM
(23-04-2015 01:41 PM)Dusky Wrote:  
(23-04-2015 01:38 PM)jennybee Wrote:  So u r saying he makes a pair of mittens out of them? Gasp

Why stop at mittens! He probably has a whole wardrobe.

Mittens, scarf, coat, and hat! Maybe some to line his boots with. Weeping

If only. Hobo

#sigh
24-04-2015, 04:08 PM
(24-04-2015 11:12 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I regard faith in, and worship of, the Abrahamic god, evil as he is, to be a form of Stockholm Syndrome.

It's not Stockholm Syndrome when the captor has literally become the hostage. Big Grin

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
24-04-2015, 04:13 PM
(24-04-2015 12:50 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I know many christians who are petrified of hell--and I mean petrified. They even have hell houses here to scare you into jesus' *loving* embrace.

Never heard of these before. I wanna go. Can I be jesus? Or do we take turns?

#sigh