Awkward situations

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2013, 04:23 PM
Awkward situations
Hey. So I'm new to all of this, including forums. And this seems like a good group of people who think like me. So I'm from Texas, and I go to a school highly populated with Christians, with everyone wanting me to go to a church. I tried going to a baptist church, and it was kinda awkward for me. So I left. And after a couple months of high thinking about all of that. I stopped believing. Now I haven't told anyone and I don't really plan on it. The only person I told was my girlfriend, who is very religious and well. Y'all know how that conversation went with her. It didn't end the way I expected. Now I'm the only nonbeliever in my family… that I know of, and I'm not sure I should tell anyone. I mean after the reaction my girlfriend gave. I'm seriously scared. I don't know what to do. So if any other teens out there would like to give me advice or just share their stories with me. I would like it. It's interesting to see how others think. Also about how you handled telling others would help.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-10-2013, 04:34 PM
RE: Awkward situations
You don't have to tell anyone. College will be easier, I think. Until then maybe just blow off your atheist steam here and don't tell anyone who you think would be really upset by it. Being a teenager sucks, but it is also great fun. Can you find some of those "believers" who still love to do fun stuff and never actually talk about religion and hang out with them?
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
29-10-2013, 04:39 PM
Re: Awkward situations
I'd wait it out especially if your parents are helping pay for college. Use this forum as a way to connect with like minded people.
[+] 1 user Likes Godless Ute's post
29-10-2013, 05:16 PM
I'd make sure your girlfriend doesn't tell your family. That's your business, not hers to share.
[+] 1 user Likes Ferdinand's post
29-10-2013, 05:49 PM
1. Make fun of girlfriends beliefs
2. Make fun of her parents
3. Break up with her if she hasn't done so with you already.
4. Let her tell everybody
5. ?
6. Profit
29-10-2013, 05:50 PM
^ But seriously... Don't do that.
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
29-10-2013, 05:50 PM
(29-10-2013 05:49 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  1. Make fun of girlfriends beliefs
2. Make fun of her parents
3. Break up with her if she hasn't done so with you already.
4. Let her tell everybody
5. ?
6. Profit

$$$lets get this money$$$
29-10-2013, 06:55 PM
Wow. I never actually expected a response. That's impressive. Y'all are great. I'll take all the stuff y'all say seriously. Except the goofoff parts. I'll just laugh at those. This makes it a lot easier.
29-10-2013, 09:15 PM
(29-10-2013 06:55 PM)Mythic_GhostX Wrote:  Wow. I never actually expected a response. That's impressive. Y'all are great. I'll take all the stuff y'all say seriously. Except the goofoff parts. I'll just laugh at those. This makes it a lot easier.

Welcome to the forum man! You'll find this place to be like home, actually.
29-10-2013, 09:27 PM
Welcome, I agree with the other posters so far. Go at your own pace. Whenever you are comfortable sharing. When I was younger, I even lied on occasion about my beliefs, not in a major way, but I felt a white lie as better than trying to evade at some points. Sometimes a non-answer is enough of an answer to give away how you feel.

Now that I'm older, my family knows, my friends know, but I don't flaunt it. More like if the topic comes up, I tell the truth, and then try to change the subject. I like to connect with people without arguing about religious differences, it usually goes nowhere, and feelings get hurt. I generally find that the people I enjoy spending time with turn out to not be all that religious anyway.

Now, this is just me, and how I deal with my relationships. What's important is to see what works best for you and your situation. Best of luck, hope to see you around!