Awkward...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2013, 10:14 AM
Awkward...
What's your most awkward (or favorite) instance where you discussed your religious stance. Who was involved?

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2013, 11:30 AM
RE: Awkward...
(07-02-2013 10:14 AM)59pEaNUt89 Wrote:  What's your most awkward (or favorite) instance where you discussed your religious stance. Who was involved?

To be honest I have had very few religious conversations in person with people, my most interesting discussions about my stance have been on here I think. I do however greatly look forward to seeing some of my family to see their reactions to me telling them I'm an atheist. Some of them are very religious.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

07-02-2013, 12:45 PM
I haven't really had any yet either. I don't flaunt my opinions and get in everyone's face with it like some people.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
07-02-2013, 01:17 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2013 01:23 PM by Peanut.)
(07-02-2013 11:30 AM)Aspchizo Wrote:  
(07-02-2013 10:14 AM)59pEaNUt89 Wrote:  What's your most awkward (or favorite) instance where you discussed your religious stance. Who was involved?
To be honest I have had very few religious conversations in person with people, my most interesting discussions about my stance have been on here I think. I do however greatly look forward to seeing some of my family to see their reactions to me telling them I'm an atheist. Some of them are very religious.

That'll be fun. Some will say it's just a phase. Others will pray for your soul. Hopefully the family that matters most to you is understanding and don't change how they act around you.

07-02-2013, 02:20 PM

Funnily enough, the most awkward discussion was with an atheist at an atheist get together. It was a party and I was kind of just there for the beer and to hang with a friend who invited me. The cohost of this shindig and I had just met so, I didn't know her at all. Not wanting to "get into it" with any complete stranger I took a neutral stance as a "free thinker" when the subject came around to "religion".

I told her I was raised around many different religions and was influence by both religious and non religious folk - which is quite true - and I left it at that. She stared at me for a minute with wide eyes and a smile and said, "Oh, well, so you really don't have a solid stance?" Then she kind of sighed and turned to go mingle elsewhere.

I didn't see it as awkward until much later. Maybe at the time I just failed to articulate that I'd been an atheist my entire life despite being raised around several religions. I really don't know what she thought but I think for some it might appear that one is either militant or an apologist and there is no middle ground.

Anyone who's ever known me knows that I actually don't give a fuck either way... although... I tend more toward activism these days. I actively don't give a shit. Drinking Beverage

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
07-02-2013, 02:33 PM
(07-02-2013 02:20 PM)kim Wrote:  

Funnily enough, the most awkward discussion was with an atheist at an atheist get together. It was a party and I was kind of just there for the beer and to hang with a friend who invited me. The cohost of this shindig and I had just met so, I didn't know her at all. Not wanting to "get into it" with any complete stranger I took a neutral stance as a "free thinker" when the subject came around to "religion".

I told her I was raised around many different religions and was influence by both religious and non religious folk - which is quite true - and I left it at that. She stared at me for a minute with wide eyes and a smile and said, "Oh, well, so you really don't have a solid stance?" Then she kind of sighed and turned to go mingle elsewhere.

I didn't see it as awkward until much later. Maybe at the time I just failed to articulate that I'd been an atheist my entire life despite being raised around several religions. I really don't know what she thought but I think for some it might appear that one is either militant or an apologist and there is no middle ground.

Anyone who's ever known me knows that I actually don't give a fuck either way... although... I tend more toward activism these days. I actively don't give a shit. Drinking Beverage
I've had a coworker act similarly. He tends to be more vocal and he even states in the break room that he is "prejudice towards religious people." That's fine with me. But I tend to keep to myself until I'm asked. Even then, I still am open minded and don't knock someone down for believing in something I don't.

[+] 1 user Likes Peanut's post
07-02-2013, 02:34 PM
(07-02-2013 02:20 PM)kim Wrote:  

Ah the 'solid stance", revered by many, thought out by few.
People really seem to have to have their group supporters.

I was once told to argue from a specific point.........what point?
There are so many points, many ideas, many dogmas................

If that's sitting on the fence, then so be it! Rolleyes
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
07-02-2013, 03:05 PM
My most awkward conversation about atheism was by far when i had to pick up my great uncle. he is a 90 year old catholic priest and had no idea that i was atheist. for the first hour of the two hour car ride he complained that atheism was the biggest issue in the united states and that we should get rid of anyone who wasn't "properly god fearing." at this point i decided to let him know that atheist were not all evil and that i did not believe in any god or divinity. he responded with "oh" and, thanks to a broken radio, the second hour of the car ride was in complete silence. super awkward at the time but a funny story to tell now.
[+] 3 users Like blackwell's post
07-02-2013, 03:40 PM
(07-02-2013 03:05 PM)blackwell Wrote:  My most awkward conversation about atheism was by far when i had to pick up my great uncle. he is a 90 year old catholic priest and had no idea that i was atheist. for the first hour of the two hour car ride he complained that atheism was the biggest issue in the united states and that we should get rid of anyone who wasn't "properly god fearing." at this point i decided to let him know that atheist were not all evil and that i did not believe in any god or divinity. he responded with "oh" and, thanks to a broken radio, the second hour of the car ride was in complete silence. super awkward at the time but a funny story to tell now.

That's like a movie plot = ) And I wonder what ideas go through people's heads when they say they should "get rid of" them. I've heard that one before too.

07-02-2013, 05:37 PM
Going to a Catholic funeral and not knowing what the fuck to do with the whole bread and wine thing.
Though I suspect I was the only awkward one there.
Also being on my knees infront of a Catholic priest was a bit awkward (same funeral).

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post