Ayn Rand and the schism in Republican Party

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-06-2011, 09:14 AM
Ayn Rand and the schism in Republican Party
Don't know if anyone saw this, but the "American Values Network" is bashing Ayn Rand. Believe what you want about her politics, or views on government, the tenant in this discussion is her views on religion and how proponents of religion in the public sector attack her on this basis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TxCWbTqz...r_embedded

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes FaceOfBoe's post
16-06-2011, 06:11 PM
RE: Ayn Rand and the schism in Republican Party
(14-06-2011 09:14 AM)FaceOfBoe Wrote:  Don't know if anyone saw this, but the "American Values Network" is bashing Ayn Rand. Believe what you want about her politics, or views on government, the tenant in this discussion is her views on religion and how proponents of religion in the public sector attack her on this basis.

Yup. I've been a 30 year voting-life registered Republican. I grew up watching William F. Buckley Jr. on Firing Line. He's why I'm a Republican. He's also turning over in his grave with the direction my party is currently tacking towards. The problem with today's Republican Party is that they're too fucking stupid and obstinate to even understand your post.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
Find all posts by this user
17-06-2011, 06:07 AM
I will never understand how middle class Americans can claim allegiance to one or the other political parties, as if these people somehow have your best interest at heart and are actually working for you.

A plague on both their houses.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
17-06-2011, 06:14 AM
I've always been an individual who votes by what I see as necessary =p Which in general is voting for a third party because I believe a third party winning a state is necessary. One state and they'll have far more political power than they do currently.

Middle class US citizens seem to think they are either incredibly rich or incredibly poor, because they always think what happens for one or the other will best benefit themselves.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
17-06-2011, 09:39 AM
I often vote for 3rd parties too. If I don't have a 3rd party choice, I vote against the incumbent.

17-06-2011, 04:53 PM
(17-06-2011 06:07 AM)BnW Wrote:  I will never understand how middle class Americans can claim allegiance to one or the other political parties, as if these people somehow have your best interest at heart and are actually working for you.

I concur, but I can't vote in the primaries in my state without picking a side. Not picking a side diminishes my participation. My friends tell me that I'm still diminishing my participation by registering as a Republican in a blue state like Maryland. I tell them, "Maybe so, but you will never get to experience voting for Ron Paul." Wink (Yeah, he'd be disastrous as President but it still feels good to vote for someone who actually still stands for their principles.)

Breathing - it's more art than science.
17-06-2011, 04:59 PM
The idea of voting third party being a wasted vote is what makes it a wasted vote. That is just a self fulfilling prophecy. If people would just go ahead and vote for their issues without bothering how likely the outcome is then third parties would be somewhere.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post
18-06-2011, 05:12 PM
(17-06-2011 04:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(17-06-2011 06:07 AM)BnW Wrote:  I will never understand how middle class Americans can claim allegiance to one or the other political parties, as if these people somehow have your best interest at heart and are actually working for you.

I concur, but I can't vote in the primaries in my state without picking a side. Not picking a side diminishes my participation. My friends tell me that I'm still diminishing my participation by registering as a Republican in a blue state like Maryland. I tell them, "Maybe so, but you will never get to experience voting for Ron Paul." Wink (Yeah, he'd be disastrous as President but it still feels good to vote for someone who actually still stands for their principles.)

I agree with you on Paul and I have a certain respect for him. I feel the same way about Nader and would vote for either one of them. I don't think either has a shot at ever winning but I'd much rather vote for someone who believes in something and will stand by that belief vs. completely compromise himself or herself to get elected.

18-06-2011, 07:00 PM
Ron Paul would have me killed if elected. That just kind of makes a vote for him by me a bit illogical.

18-06-2011, 07:26 PM
(18-06-2011 07:00 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  Ron Paul would have me killed if elected. That just kind of makes a vote for him by me a bit illogical.

Are you sure you are thinking of Ron Paul? This is the guy who advocated for gay marriage and the legalization of heroin so people can make choices for themselves. I can't see him advocating have anyone, outside may of convicted murderers, killed. Can you elaborate on what you're referring to?