Ayn Rand

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-12-2014, 08:54 AM
RE: Ayn Rand
(26-12-2014 10:20 AM)gofish! Wrote:  
(26-12-2014 09:32 AM)666wannabe Wrote:  I do think that any philosophy that you do not apply to your own life is only an entertainment.

Sorry if I appear pedantic but that makes as much sense as saying "any science that you do not apply to your own life is only an entertainment." Philosophy is a discipline, an enquiry into ethics and human psychology. It is not an idea in of itself.

If you meant philosophy in the sense of "a philosophy", (e.g. existentialism) then I still disagree because it is feasible to disagree with "a philosophy", far more so than any one scientific hypothesis or theory. Utilitarianism is a prime example. However, considering different viewpoints allows one to test ethical constructs against the real-life challenges to which you apply them.

Philosophy is a pursuit of truth. What I think we might agree on is that all such enquiry, if not motivated by the desire to apply your findings to life is pure intellectual wankery.

However the only people who I know like that I would not even call "philosophers".

gofish,

I agree with you. On giving it further thought, the statement I made is rather unenlightened. It is important to understand philosophies that you do not "live by". Else, how would we discover the ones that we do live by? It is also important in order for us to try to understand the philosophies that others live by. I stand corrected.

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities.--Voltaire.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." --Thomas Paine.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-12-2014, 09:04 AM
(26-12-2014 04:41 PM)Pointwithinacircle Wrote:  
(26-12-2014 06:51 AM)666wannabe Wrote:  Another thing I learned from another source is that the deep dark secret to life is that there are no deep dark secrets to life. There are only those people that create their own gods so they can pretend to know these (nonexistent) secrets.
I believe that a valid argument can be made that Sigmund Freud and I disagree with your point that the secrets are non-existent. If you had said "non-existent to the conscious mind" I would have agreed with you. But Sigmund explained that there is an unconscious mind that is full of things which are "secret" from the conscious mind. The fact that you have not discovered a path to this hidden part of yourself does not prove it's non-existence of its' contents.
(26-12-2014 06:51 AM)666wannabe Wrote:  It gives them a sense of power to think they know more than the rest of us "regular" human beings. This, to my way of thinking, is the source of "religious" thinking--and is total bullshit.
Gaining access to your unconscious mind actually IS a source of tremendous power, and a person who has done the work to accomplish this truly does know more than a person who has not. This is true not because they have more knowledge but because they have more understanding.

I was speaking specifically about "suoernatural" deep dark secrets to life--knowledge that is not available to regular humans, but must be accessed through supernatural revelation.

I was thinking, at the time, of a story I had heard: One time, someone asked an old Buddhist priest what was the greatest lesson he had learned from Buddhism.

He replied: "When I was young, I used to think of a mountain as a mountain, and a river as a river".

"Then, as I grew, I started trying to see a mountain as more than a mountain, and a river as more than a river".

" Now, after years of meditation and study, I have finally gotten to the point where I can see a mountain as a mountain, and a river as a river".

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." --Thomas Paine.
27-12-2014, 09:06 AM
(26-12-2014 06:00 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote:there is no calvary

Don't you mean cavalry? Calvary implies something else.

[Image: crucified.gif]

Yes, I did. Sorry, I am only moderately entelligent.

27-12-2014, 09:15 AM
(26-12-2014 09:40 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  " or shrivel away into nothingness" My good friend I must tell you there you are wrong. It's not much of an or but a will. It's a part of Ryandiness I don't rather like. It's not to say everything you do is meaningless and therefore shouldn't be done, but I think one shouldn't need to deem things in any highly manner or think of them as avoiding a negative if you don't.

I don't think existentialism is by any means naturally cynical. Critics of it from some angles may view it that way, usually because the outcomes of the literary characters are bleak. It's pretty much along what you're getting to but it really a label that means so much or so little in context. I've enjoyed the thought process of merging Buddhist or zen Buddhist ideas with the western skeptical existential like thoughts I've usually had. It's enjoyable to think of it as long as you don't deem anything of the spiritual nature of one side or the rather pointless side of the other.

Many people confuse the term "skepticism" and the word "cynicism'. I am definitely a skeptic, but not a cynic. Cynicism is a disease that tends toward infecting those who understand the limitations of the human mind and don't rely on the dictates of a dogma.