BBQ!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-07-2013, 09:53 AM
BBQ!
We've had some brief discussion about barbecue in some other threads, but I think it definitely warrants it's own.

First, let's establish the difference between grilling and barbecue. Grilling is cooking food quickly over relatively high heat. This is the perfect method for cooking steak, pork chops, chicken breast, and any other type of thin cut meat. Barbecue, is different. Barbecue is cooking on low heat for a very long time, usually with smoke (but not necessarily).

Personally, my preference is charcoal for both grilling and BBQ. When I BBQ I usually use hickory for smoke, though I'm not adverse to other woods. Apple wood is my second favorite, but I love experimenting.

I recently spoiled myself with a new BBQ. I do a ton of outdoor cooking, so I think I deserved it Wink. It's a barrel style, and I much prefer it so far over my old Weber. Excellent heat control, and the dual stacks let me move the smoke easily. Her virgin cook was pulled pork (ambitious and risky on a new BBQ, I know, but I had to satisfy a craving). Smoked with hickory for just shy of seven hours, then wrapped it for another three. Just used a basic rub (salt, pepper, paprika and brown sugar), and sprayed with apple juice frequently.

It was amazing.

So what about you guys? What do you cook on? What's your favorite meat to BBQ? Smoke or no smoke?

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
20-07-2013, 10:09 AM
RE: BBQ!
Smoked BBQ T-bone hickory.

Damn you, now I'm hungry!!!

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
20-07-2013, 12:15 PM
RE: BBQ!
(20-07-2013 09:53 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  We've had some brief discussion about barbecue in some other threads, but I think it definitely warrants it's own.

First, let's establish the difference between grilling and barbecue. Grilling is cooking food quickly over relatively high heat. This is the perfect method for cooking steak, pork chops, chicken breast, and any other type of thin cut meat. Barbecue, is different. Barbecue is cooking on low heat for a very long time, usually with smoke (but not necessarily).

Personally, my preference is charcoal for both grilling and BBQ. When I BBQ I usually use hickory for smoke, though I'm not adverse to other woods. Apple wood is my second favorite, but I love experimenting.

I recently spoiled myself with a new BBQ. I do a ton of outdoor cooking, so I think I deserved it Wink. It's a barrel style, and I much prefer it so far over my old Weber. Excellent heat control, and the dual stacks let me move the smoke easily. Her virgin cook was pulled pork (ambitious and risky on a new BBQ, I know, but I had to satisfy a craving). Smoked with hickory for just shy of seven hours, then wrapped it for another three. Just used a basic rub (salt, pepper, paprika and brown sugar), and sprayed with apple juice frequently.

It was amazing.

So what about you guys? What do you cook on? What's your favorite meat to BBQ? Smoke or no smoke?

A man after my own heart - except that I mostly grill. I really should take the time to BBQ some day soon...

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man