*****BCS National Championship - LSU Tigers vs. Alabama Crimson Tide*****

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-12-2011, 03:10 PM
RE: *****BCS National Championship - LSU Tigers vs. Alabama Crimson Tide*****
Switch to 4 major conferences and do a playoff system where the conference championships are built into it.

Evolve

Smartass
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Beard2
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2011, 03:12 PM
(05-12-2011 03:10 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Switch to 4 major conferences and do a playoff system where the conference championships are built into it.

You mean like the SEC proposed and was universally shot down by all the other conferences?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
05-12-2011, 03:18 PM
Exactly like that.

And the NCAA is useless anyways. They can't even enforce their own rules and no one respects them anyways. They actually have a rule in place that allows a team to supply bagels to their players but they can't serve cream cheese with them. WTF?!!

Evolve

Smartass
05-12-2011, 03:19 PM
(05-12-2011 03:18 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Exactly like that.

And the NCAA is useless anyways. They can't even enforce their own rules and no one respects them anyways. They actually have a rule in place that allows a team to supply bagels to their players but they can't serve cream cheese with them. WTF?!!

rofl.

No way... that can't be true.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
05-12-2011, 03:23 PM
If I'm lying I'm dying...grgh *cough*Choke!!!!

But seriously...they do. The wording of a particular rule prohibits them from providing particular things to the athletes and includes my above example. And then you have Ohio State, Auburn, USC and not to forget Miami's recent rules violations. The NCAA is a joke. Update the rules, change the BCS into a playoff system, and most importantly, enforce those rules with serious sanctions and not pansy wrist slaps that are a mockery of the rules in the first place!!!!

So frustrated with college sports...especially since too much emphasis is put on college athletics instead of college academics. Urban Meyer's new salary is equivalent to 57 full time faculty positions, with benefits. Absurd.

Evolve

Smartass
05-12-2011, 03:26 PM
(05-12-2011 03:23 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  If I'm lying I'm dying...grgh *cough*Choke!!!!

But seriously...they do. The wording of a particular rule prohibits them from providing particular things to the athletes and includes my above example. And then you have Ohio State, Auburn, USC and not to forget Miami's recent rules violations. The NCAA is a joke. Update the rules, change the BCS into a playoff system, and most importantly, enforce those rules with serious sanctions and not pansy wrist slaps that are a mockery of the rules in the first place!!!!

So frustrated with college sports...especially since too much emphasis is put on college athletics instead of college academics. Urban Meyer's new salary is equivalent to 57 full time faculty positions, with benefits. Absurd.

I dont' see it as absurd. His time there and success could/will generate so much hype around the school. People want to play for good coaches on good teams. People also want to attend the most talked about school in town. The one with the good football team. Urban Meyer is worth every penny becasue he will generate far more revenue than he costs. A persons worth is only what someone is willing to pay for them to work. If you could make 100 million by hiring 1 person I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem paying him 10 million. Especially when the company down the road is offering 9 million.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
05-12-2011, 03:33 PM
I agree that a good program can be good for recruiting but raising tuition and cutting funding to departments while spending more on sports is ridiculous. Universities should not be businesses but learning institutions. Fund academics and research first. And I also would not have a problem with it if most big programs had graduation rates that were at least on par with the school average. Student-athletes don't take advantage of that free education, they go to these schools to hang out for a few years and play football while hoping to go to the NFL.

In my book it is simple really
University priorities should be
1) academics
2) research
3) student activities/services (like food and libraries)
4)athletics

Students should go to a school for academics, not athletics and if they chose a school based on athletics, they will get the education they deserve.

Evolve

Smartass
05-12-2011, 03:43 PM
(05-12-2011 03:33 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I agree that a good program can be good for recruiting but raising tuition and cutting funding to departments while spending more on sports is ridiculous. Universities should not be businesses but learning institutions. Fund academics and research first. And I also would not have a problem with it if most big programs had graduation rates that were at least on par with the school average. Student-athletes don't take advantage of that free education, they go to these schools to hang out for a few years and play football while hoping to go to the NFL.

In my book it is simple really
University priorities should be
1) academics
2) research
3) student activities/services (like food and libraries)
4)athletics

Students should go to a school for academics, not athletics and if they chose a school based on athletics, they will get the education they deserve.

Athletes do have to maintain GPAs to stay on the roster. And I wouldn't use the schools grad rate as a measuring stick. Enrollment to grad rates at universities is probably like 10%.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
05-12-2011, 04:09 PM
Graduation rates are actually much higher than that >70% and at least some schools do maintain decent graduation rates for their athletics. LSU and Alabama have very respectable graduation rates that are on par with school averages, but my point remains that athletics should not rank ahead of academics. Not only for the student-athletes but for the average student. It is unfair for students to be short-changed academically because the athletic program wants to expand. I realize a lot of that is from private donors, but that too is misplaced money. Why not give it to the school to improve the entire school and not just athletics?

Evolve

Smartass
05-12-2011, 04:59 PM
(05-12-2011 04:09 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Graduation rates are actually much higher than that >70% and at least some schools do maintain decent graduation rates for their athletics. LSU and Alabama have very respectable graduation rates that are on par with school averages, but my point remains that athletics should not rank ahead of academics. Not only for the student-athletes but for the average student. It is unfair for students to be short-changed academically because the athletic program wants to expand. I realize a lot of that is from private donors, but that too is misplaced money. Why not give it to the school to improve the entire school and not just athletics?

I'd like to know where you get that 70% number from. At least half of students drop or transfer between freshmen and senior years. I work at a private college with only three or four hundred enrollments per year and we're barely above 70% with yes than year long programs. Quadruple that to 4 years of school and we'd be at 30%.

-Mark Twain