*****BCS National Championship - LSU Tigers vs. Alabama Crimson Tide*****

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-12-2011, 09:53 AM
RE: *****BCS National Championship - LSU Tigers vs. Alabama Crimson Tide*****
(05-12-2011 04:59 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(05-12-2011 04:09 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Graduation rates are actually much higher than that >70% and at least some schools do maintain decent graduation rates for their athletics. LSU and Alabama have very respectable graduation rates that are on par with school averages, but my point remains that athletics should not rank ahead of academics. Not only for the student-athletes but for the average student. It is unfair for students to be short-changed academically because the athletic program wants to expand. I realize a lot of that is from private donors, but that too is misplaced money. Why not give it to the school to improve the entire school and not just athletics?

I'd like to know where you get that 70% number from. At least half of students drop or transfer between freshmen and senior years. I work at a private college with only three or four hundred enrollments per year and we're barely above 70% with yes than year long programs. Quadruple that to 4 years of school and we'd be at 30%.

Well....first off if you quadruple the number of students, the percentage would remain the same. The total number might increase but not the percentage.
Try this
http://www.campuscorner.com/
It gives some basic statistics for quite a few colleges including my current grad school of Syracuse with a graduation percentage of 82% and my undergrad of U. of Tennessee at Chattanooga at a dismal 42%.

Institutions with higher standards have higher graduation rates, as demonstrated by the two above choices.

Evolve
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2011, 10:17 AM
(06-12-2011 09:53 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(05-12-2011 04:59 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(05-12-2011 04:09 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Graduation rates are actually much higher than that >70% and at least some schools do maintain decent graduation rates for their athletics. LSU and Alabama have very respectable graduation rates that are on par with school averages, but my point remains that athletics should not rank ahead of academics. Not only for the student-athletes but for the average student. It is unfair for students to be short-changed academically because the athletic program wants to expand. I realize a lot of that is from private donors, but that too is misplaced money. Why not give it to the school to improve the entire school and not just athletics?

I'd like to know where you get that 70% number from. At least half of students drop or transfer between freshmen and senior years. I work at a private college with only three or four hundred enrollments per year and we're barely above 70% with yes than year long programs. Quadruple that to 4 years of school and we'd be at 30%.

Well....first off if you quadruple the number of students, the percentage would remain the same. The total number might increase but not the percentage.
Try this
http://www.campuscorner.com/
It gives some basic statistics for quite a few colleges including my current grad school of Syracuse with a graduation percentage of 82% and my undergrad of U. of Tennessee at Chattanooga at a dismal 42%.

Institutions with higher standards have higher graduation rates, as demonstrated by the two above choices.

It is my understanding that the longer the program the higher the drop rate. Far more people drop out of 2 and 4 year programs than do where I work. Most of our programs are 7.5 months.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
06-12-2011, 10:26 AM
It is not strictly the length though. A large part of it also has to do with the quality of the incoming students (not trying to say the quality where you teach is low, especially since the grad rate is 70%). Institutions with higher standards have a higher graduation rate. UTC had average standards, certainly not high, and the result is <50% graduation rate. Whereas a private institution like Syracuse has much higher standards for incoming students and as a result they are better prepared to stick it out for 4 years resulting in double the graduation rate.

I was going to look up the graduation rates for some of the community colleges where I grew up to make another comparison, but they don't report their graduation rates on these websites.

Evolve
06-12-2011, 10:34 AM
(06-12-2011 10:26 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  It is not strictly the length though. A large part of it also has to do with the quality of the incoming students (not trying to say the quality where you teach is low, especially since the grad rate is 70%). Institutions with higher standards have a higher graduation rate. UTC had average standards, certainly not high, and the result is <50% graduation rate. Whereas a private institution like Syracuse has much higher standards for incoming students and as a result they are better prepared to stick it out for 4 years resulting in double the graduation rate.

I was going to look up the graduation rates for some of the community colleges where I grew up to make another comparison, but they don't report their graduation rates on these websites.

I see what you mean and I agree. I'm sure that institutes of higher learning have the type of student enroll that wouldn't drop or fail unless it was absolutely unavoidable. And I imagine that nearly all people that go after a phd graduate. If I wasn't sure I could pass it and afford it I certainly wouldn't go for a masters or phd.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
07-12-2011, 10:07 AM
Tyrann Mathieu and Trent Richardson are both Heisman finalists. I'm sure Mathieu won't win becasue he's a defensive player and Richardson isn't #1 in any stat but it'll be cool to see them on the field against each other again.

RGIII or Montee Ball should win. Their stats are retarded.

-Mark Twain
07-12-2011, 10:09 AM
(07-12-2011 10:07 AM)germanyt Wrote:  Tyrann Mathieu and Trent Richardson are both Heisman finalists. I'm sure Mathieu won't win becasue he's a defensive player and Richardson isn't #1 in any stat but it'll be cool to see them on the field against each other again.

RGIII or Montee Ball should win. Their stats are retarded.

RGIII should win hands down. Not only is he amazing, he's Baylor's team. The team would not have had the success they had this year without him. I'm pretty sure that's the true meaning of award.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
08-12-2011, 08:52 AM
Good article about how LSU needs to win.

http://theadvocate.com/sports/lsu/151656...chaos.html

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
09-01-2012, 08:46 AM
Awwwwww yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Mark Twain
09-01-2012, 02:40 PM
(09-01-2012 08:46 AM)germanyt Wrote:  Awwwwww yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know. Can't wait.

09-01-2012, 03:07 PM
(09-01-2012 02:40 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(09-01-2012 08:46 AM)germanyt Wrote:  Awwwwww yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know. Can't wait.

Says the guy that doens't have a purple and gold sombrero.

-Mark Twain