BOTT Radio time!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2016, 08:58 AM
BOTT Radio time!
So I've been listening to Chrisitian radio. A few reasons:

1: So I'm not in a vacuum where I"m only hearing one perspective
2: If they have a good argument, I want to hear it

Now most of it is vacuous nonsense. But some of it jumped out at me.

There was the rationalizing away of verses, the one I heard was where David was asking God to kill non-believers and those of other faiths. The only reason this bothered me was just how easily they brushed it off. It couldn't mean what it actually says, because god is good and he let this be in the book.

There was the racism. "Oh we travelled to India and we saw how those poor people needed the gospel. Do you think Hinduism will ever dissappear in our lifetime?" No! This type of western-centric and eurocentric viewpoints is something I thought we had moved past.

I'm now listening to the Tony Perkins radio hour.

I have never heard such sexist racist homophobic bullshit. They are currently having a rant about women in the military. "Women are being put in combat." So what? Women want that. "Women have an elevated position in our society and it is our responsibility to protect them." Bull. Shit. Women are often treated as second class citizens, and if women want to be in combat, LET THEM.

"Well they might be drafted! We wouldn't want that!" There will NEVER be a draft again. Realistically we have moved past that. And let's grant that it MIGHT happen, so what? Men have to face that, why shouldn't women?

Then he cherry picks studies that show units with women do worse, that this is bad for women, that this is not what people want.

"We keep hearing how women and men are equal, and they're not, and we need to push back against this."

I'm a feminist, and this is grotesque for me. I am supportive of women to make their own choices. I support full equality for men and women. This kind of paternalism is just stomach churning.

OMG now they are talking about how "Muslims are terrorists, the president visited a mosque where they were planning terrorist attacks"! This is the most racist shit I thought I would hear on the public airwaves! 80% of mosques preach jihadism?!?

Yeah, Tony Perkins and his hate group can go to hell.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2016, 09:24 AM
RE: BOTT Radio time!
I get enough of this shit at work already. I could never subject myself to Christian radio in my free time. That would take away valuable time that I could be spending listening to science podcasts Cool

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
06-02-2016, 09:57 AM
RE: BOTT Radio time!
I do read biblical commentaries and books written by Christian scholars from time to time. It's not really done on purpose--some of them have some really good and informative books that although, the author is Christian, do not fall into woo territory. Some also have a snip-it after listing the facts about how they reconciled their faith with various facts--but the facts are still there and they don't go the 'it's magic" route. There is actual scholarly work in these books. I also still like watching atheist/christian debates from time to time. I don't know if I could do the Christian radio thing though because I prefer a scholarly take on things even if the author is of the woo mentality.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi