BUT! There are strong women in the Bible!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-02-2015, 01:39 PM
BUT! There are strong women in the Bible!
Facepalm

Obviously, it's clear what side I'm on.

So, a Christian on my facebook that I was asked to friend because of an ACTUAL real life friend posted a meme from the "Jesus Christ is KING" page (oh yeah, you know that's a fun one right there!)

[Image: ?type=1]

So I respond with: I'd rather my daughter not be guided by books that condone rape. Or one that puts value solely on her virginity and ability to please her husband. I would want my daughter to have autonomy and confidence in who she is. Neither book does that unless you omit a lot of stuff from them.

Christian: I think that there areas of stong women threw out the bible.The bible is not all about serving a manThat Eve was a rebel and Mary was strong enough back in times when women were stoned for have sex before marriage.Even tho she didnt.Other people thought she did.She was so strong to have Jesus and raising up like she did.Theres alot of strong women.Just google the women of the bible and c.

Me: It still condones rape by forcing a victim to be married to her rapist, or to be stoned to death if she doesn't cry out for help loud enough. That's morally repugnant.
It also condones selling your daughter into sex slavery.
And if my child was gay, I'd be (hypocritically) required to stone her to death.
If my child was disobedient, I would be expected to have them stoned to death.
It says that a man should not suffer a woman to teach, she is to be silent. If she has questions regarding holy matters she is to wait and ask her husband at home.
A holy book is only as good and righteous as the most repugnant thing that it allows and that it IS a book that's subjugation of women, that there are a few women that are strong or defiant doesn't change the fact that few women have names or speaking parts, and their primary function in that book is to procreate, including and especially Eve and Mary.
I don't need to google women of the bible, I know enough of that book to know that it's not something to base one's morals on past the Golden Rule.

I don't know what she expected? I did say you could only find good in either book if you removed a bunch of stuff. I did say that. I'm not atheist because it's fun or "LOLREBELLION!!!", I'm an atheist because I see the ills of that book and the horror it causes and refuse to be a part of it. The outright and open disbelief of any dieties what so ever didn't come until I was in high school.
I do find it amusing that she ignored the part about rape entirely, though. I'm also not the only one that disagreed, just the one that disagreed that actually gave an explanation as to why I disagreed, because that's just how I am.

I'll edit this if she ever responds.

I doodle.
A lot.
My humor can also be very perverse, so forgive me if I make sexy fart jokes. :'D
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-02-2015, 01:54 PM
RE: BUT! There are strong women in the Bible!
Well there was that chick... Jael (pretty sounding name I grant you)... who nailed a tent-peg through her boyfriend's ear when he was kipping after a good sexing. I'd say that's pretty strong.

Then there's Herod's daughter who was asked what she'd like for her birthday and was all like "Bugger My little Pony, St John the Evangelist's noggin on a plate Daddy, that's what I'd like".

There's Rahab the Harlot who was allowed to live (and carry on being a harlot?) for betraying her friends and letting the Hebrews into Jericho or some such thing... although the ol' Hebrews huffed and they puffed and they blew Jericho's walls down (and raped and pillaged the inhabitants, praise be unto God! Amen hallelujah!), so I don't quite get what exactly her contribution was...

Hmm... Isaac had to work 7 years to purchase Rachel his wife from her old man (women = $$$, nice bible lesson right there)... but the old man cunningly sold him her older sister and when he was all like "Yo dawg, this shit stinks, she not the love of my life" he made him work *another* 7 years before he got his hands on Rachel 14 years after meeting her. Still she musta made his heart go vavavoom 'cos IIRC there was plenty of kiddies from that commercial enterprise.

Jassus, there's like *plenty* of women to learn valuable life lessons about being subservient and so forth... Proverbs 31 woman Rolleyes

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
15-02-2015, 02:14 PM
Don't forget Lilith. The real first woman. Read up on her.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-02-2015, 02:26 PM
(15-02-2015 01:39 PM)Chaos Requiem Wrote:  Facepalm

So, a Christian on my facebook that I was asked to friend because of an ACTUAL real life friend posted a meme from the "Jesus Christ is KING" page (oh yeah, you know that's a fun one right there!)

So I respond with: I'd rather my daughter not be guided by books that condone rape. Or one that puts value solely on her virginity and ability to please her husband. I would want my daughter to have autonomy and confidence in who she is. Neither book does that unless you omit a lot of stuff from them.

Christian: I think that there areas of stong women threw out the bible.The bible is not all about serving a manThat Eve was a rebel and Mary was strong enough back in times when women were stoned for have sex before marriage.Even tho she didnt.Other people thought she did.She was so strong to have Jesus and raising up like she did.Theres alot of strong women.Just google the women of the bible and c.

Me: It still condones rape by forcing a victim to be married to her rapist, or to be stoned to death if she doesn't cry out for help loud enough. That's morally repugnant.
And if my child was gay, I'd be (hypocritically) required to stone her to death.
It says that a man should not suffer a woman to teach, she is to be silent. If she has questions regarding holy matters she is to wait and ask her husband at home.
A holy book is only as good and righteous as the most repugnant thing that it allows and that it IS a book that's subjugation of women, that there are a few women that are strong or defiant doesn't change the fact that few women have names or speaking parts, and their primary function in that book is to procreate, including and especially Eve and Mary.
I don't need to google women of the bible, I know enough of that book to know that it's not something to base one's morals on past the Golden Rule.

I don't know what she expected? I did say you could only find good in either book if you removed a bunch of stuff. I did say that. I'm not atheist because it's fun or "LOLREBELLION!!!", I'm an atheist because I see the ills of that book and the horror it causes and refuse to be a part of it. The outright and open disbelief of any dieties what so ever didn't come until I was in high school.
I do find it amusing that she ignored the part about rape entirely, though. I'm also not the only one that disagreed, just the one that disagreed that actually gave an explanation as to why I disagreed, because that's just how I am.

Funny, but just the other day I posted this link......

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...-time.html

........about how many words are spoken in the bible by women. It's just a tad past 1% of the Bible. Mary only speaks only 191 words and she's supposed to be the mother of the son of god. Guess she doesn't have much to say about this situation.

The Book of Ruth has Ruth being told by her mother in law to go out and lie at the feet of Boaz out in a grain field and be totally submissive. Yeah, sure, that's a woman of strength. Dodgy

This is kinda the way it is throughout The Bubble for women, so your FB friend is, shall we say, full of shit.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
15-02-2015, 05:04 PM
(15-02-2015 01:54 PM)morondog Wrote:  Well there was that chick... Jael (pretty sounding name I grant you)... who nailed a tent-peg through her boyfriend's ear when he was kipping after a good sexing. I'd say that's pretty strong.

Then there's Herod's daughter who was asked what she'd like for her birthday and was all like "Bugger My little Pony, St John the Evangelist's noggin on a plate Daddy, that's what I'd like".

There's Rahab the Harlot who was allowed to live (and carry on being a harlot?) for betraying her friends and letting the Hebrews into Jericho or some such thing... although the ol' Hebrews huffed and they puffed and they blew Jericho's walls down (and raped and pillaged the inhabitants, praise be unto God! Amen hallelujah!), so I don't quite get what exactly her contribution was...

Hmm... Isaac had to work 7 years to purchase Rachel his wife from her old man (women = $$$, nice bible lesson right there)... but the old man cunningly sold him her older sister and when he was all like "Yo dawg, this shit stinks, she not the love of my life" he made him work *another* 7 years before he got his hands on Rachel 14 years after meeting her. Still she musta made his heart go vavavoom 'cos IIRC there was plenty of kiddies from that commercial enterprise.

Jassus, there's like *plenty* of women to learn valuable life lessons about being subservient and so forth... Proverbs 31 woman Rolleyes

The Isaac/Rachel thing was always just a wtf kind of thing to me. Never understood that. I always find it funny that they always lean to the few "positive female role models" and tell you to Google women of the Bible. When you can do that and look at ALL of the women of the Bible, AND look at the situations that women are expected to do and how they're supposed to behave. But y'know, us non-believers just don't know the Bible, clearly.

I doodle.
A lot.
My humor can also be very perverse, so forgive me if I make sexy fart jokes. :'D
15-02-2015, 05:10 PM
(15-02-2015 02:14 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Don't forget Lilith. The real first woman. Read up on her.

I've actually heard of her, but I've not really read up on her. Literally all I know about her is what I learned from watching Supernatural. Because the first few seasons they did excellent work on the various mythologies they dealt with. Y'know, before the whole falling angels arc.

I doodle.
A lot.
15-02-2015, 05:12 PM
Oh, yes, good ol' cherrypicking.
[+] 1 user Likes Helio's post
15-02-2015, 05:22 PM
(15-02-2015 02:26 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(15-02-2015 01:39 PM)Chaos Requiem Wrote:  Facepalm

Funny, but just the other day I posted this link......

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...-time.html

........about how many words are spoken in the bible by women. It's just a tad past 1% of the Bible. Mary only speaks only 191 words and she's supposed to be the mother of the son of god. Guess she doesn't have much to say about this situation.

The Book of Ruth has Ruth being told by her mother in law to go out and lie at the feet of Boaz out in a grain field and be totally submissive. Yeah, sure, that's a woman of strength. Dodgy

This is kinda the way it is throughout The Bubble for women, so your FB friend is, shall we say, full of shit.

I glanced at that post, actually, so I found that kinda funny that someone would bring up that argument. Was a great post, too!

The Ruth thing is really just...wow. No wonder why people have a distinct dislike for mothers-in-law. Jeez.Facepalm

I doodle.
A lot.
15-02-2015, 05:51 PM
Deborah (a "judge') was the Mother of the nation of Israel, and she actually existed, (as opposed to Abraham and Moses who didn't).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deborah

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
15-02-2015, 05:58 PM
More on Lilith: http://judaism.about.com/od/jewishcultur...e-From.htm

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user